Mini Guide? How to lane against Vladimir.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROOTPandepic

02-02-2011

So there are a huge amount of people that say Vladimir is really annoying or over powered or too strong in lane. I'm not going to give an opinion on whether or not I think he is any of those things, but I thought I would write a small guide on how you can deal with him, because even if you think he is over powered wouldn't you like to start winning your lane against him in spite of it? =)

1. Counter Picking
When you are playing against any hero in this game, counter picking is a very important concept and it's something that takes practice and experience to do correctly. If you are in draft mode and you know that the enemy team has a Vladimir, it's very likely he will be laning solo top or solo middle. This is the point where you should strongly consider having somebody on your team lane against him either an AP carry with ignite that can kill him at level 6 (lux, malzahar, morgana) or a very strong anti-solo laner (cho gath, zilean). Learning which heroes have a favorable match-up against Vladimir is an important way to counter him, and it's something you should be making note of with any hero you have trouble with. If you are in blind pick it's somewhat harder to make use of counter picking, but it's generally a good idea to have a hero with ignite on your team in every game.

2. Early Laning Phase
This is by far Vladimir's weakest point in the game, transfusion is on a 12-ish second cooldown which is far longer than the cooldown of the harassment spells of pretty much every other solo laner in the game and only does 70 damage (against 0 magic resist). It will also only heal him for 17.5 hp against an enemy with 0 magic resist. This is the point where if you chose a good hero to match against him, you need to play aggressive -every time his transfusion is on cooldown-. A lot of Vladimir players will use transfusion to last hit a creep, this gives you an opening to put damage onto him. Another trick you can use is to auto attack him a couple of times to try and force him into using transfusion to heal a small amount back, and then you have another opening to freely put damage onto him. Make sure you look up the stats on Vladimir's transfusion spell so that you have a pretty good idea at every level of what the cooldown will be.

3. Sanguine Pool
Many players feel that this ability is too strong, but let's ignore that entire debate and just look at exactly what this spell is. You need to look at this spell as a free way to inflict huge amounts of damage onto Vladimir. One very important thing to look for when you are laning against Vladimir is, what are all the triggers that cause this specific Vladimir player to use sanguine pool. Every time you see him use it, take a note of what his motivation/trigger was. The most easy and devastating way to harass Vladimir in the early game is to cause him to use sanguine pool, make sure to abuse every trigger that you make a note of, and find every possible way of forcing him to use this ability. Also you must always try and force him into using sanguine pool before your team tries to gank him if you possibly can, once this ability is on cooldown he is extremely vulnerable to ganks because he has just spent a large amount of his hit points to cast it and now he has no escape.

4. The Overall Objective
Your overall objective is very simple, you want to gain as much of an advantage as you possibly can before Vladimir hits his peak, so as to reduce his peak as much as possible. Typically Vladimir will peak in lane between levels 7 - 11, though at levels 7 - 8 he is still manageable by most heroes that have a good match-up against him. Once he hits his peak your objective simply becomes to farm and abuse the advantage you have already gained before this to survive his attempts to deny you or kill you. If you manage to keep Vladimir pressured and under farmed until he hits his peak, his advantage at his peak will be far less than he is used to, and he will actually have a lot of trouble harassing you or killing you. This is especially true if you managed to push him out of lane earlier and gain a level advantage on him. If you play a strong AP carry with ignite that has the ability to kill Vladimir at level 6 (Lux, Malzahar, Morgana, Annie, Anivia, Nidalee, Veigar is especially good at this), make sure you learn where the HP range is for you to kill him and try to harass him into range right before you hit level 6 so you can surprise him with an unexpected death. It's also a good idea to try and cause him to use sanguine pool so that it is on cooldown at the time you plan on killing him.

5. Common Mistakes
Perhaps the single most common mistake I see when people lose a lane to Vladimir is overly passive play. Vladimir is a hero that -abuses and exploits- people that play too passively against him, doing so will give him an enormous advantage because the hero design basically feeds on that kind of play (seewatididthere). It's very important when solo laning against any hero that you both know when you have an opening for aggressive play, and that you -always take advantage of the openings you have-, this is especially important against Vladimir because in early levels he will actually heal for almost nothing at all and do very little damage to you, but if you play overly passive he will heal and harass enough that it -feels- like he is doing much more than he really can, and he has now set you up for a mindset where he will dominate you for the remainder of the laning phase, and he will hit his peak with a lot of strength and a big advantage.

So hopefully whether or not you think Vladimir is over powered, this guide can help you deal with him regardless. As I said before I will make no judgments on whether or not I think he is, but I do think it is always better to deal with things in the best way possible, regardless of how over powered they are.

It is my opinion that Vladimir is very similar to the old Mordekaiser in that he very easily takes advantage of any player that does not recognize when they have to be aggressive against him.

Feel free to ask me any questions about hero specific matchups against Vladimir that you are having problems with, with details on what those problems are, and I will try my best to help you deal with them =)

ROOTPandepic

02-02-2011

I just had to add one more thing, when you are fighting him make sure to not stand inside his pool if you have any way to get out of it, you want it to cost him as much HP as possible while healing him the least amount possible, it's a good idea to try and make him use it away from creeps so that he wont heal back the damage it does to him.

Hog0vHwZTWyohxRT

02-02-2011

Or just pick Udyr and lane against Vladimir in mid with MR glyphs, cloth armor and 5 pots.

You can't even believe how easily you can kill a Vladimir in mid with Udyr, it's a joke. Only with Tiger though. And it revolves mostly around the DoT that you apply before he goes to trollpool. He will take a huge hit from the pool cost and your dot makes things only worse.

inb4 people saying Udyr can't mid.

Maybe he shouldn't, but he can.

pfmadrian

02-02-2011

lol cho gath

M4D

02-02-2011

thx for effort , noobs wont read it anyway i just had a karthus in my team that gave vlad 5 kills before 15 mins mark.

i think katarina and trist also have ignite-like skill so they can be effective vs vlad

ROOTPandepic

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfmadrian View Post
lol cho gath
Cho Gath is an extremely strong anti solo laner because of his ability to basically out heal any other typical solo hero except for Nidalee, and his ability to do an enormous amount of instant burst damage at level 6, along with a really strong harassment in feral scream that has far bigger range than most people realize, and hits harder than they think it will.

The M3chanix

02-02-2011

I think you pointed out all the aspects of how to lane against Vlad. Thanks for the tips

UnholyMajick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

A well played Nunu beats Vladimir's face into the ground laning phase...

PallasAthens

02-02-2011

Tips to lane against Vlad-
Harass Harass Harass before level 9.

ROOTPandepic

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthens View Post
Tips to lane against Vlad-
Harass Harass Harass before level 9.
Yes, though the purpose of this guide is mainly to teach people how to recognize when to harass him =P