Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Champion Concept] Koth, the Alloy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MagykMancer

Recruiter

09-23-2014

First things first, this is a character from MTG that I'm turning into a League champ for Oventoasted's competition.
Anyone who wants to give feedback of any kind, please do. I'm up for trading you a review if you want.

Picture credit Eric Deschamps

Lore:

Quote:
A menacing sight, Koth is a swift and merciless figure on the Fields of Justice. A Vulshok planeswalker from Mirroden, his days there were spent mediating inter-tribal conflicts and combating the Phyrexians who were invading his home. He now trains in the League in order to obtain the help of the Summoners of the Institute in freeing his home from Phyrexian influence.

Hailing from the Hammer tribe of Mirroden, Koth is a Vulshok planeswalker. Koth is what is known as an Alloy among the Vulshok, with parents hailing from different tribes. Whether because of his multi-tribal origins or just his innate passion, when the tribes of Mirroden stopped producing pure metals and tensions rose to a violent point, Koth stepped in. His planeswalker spark ignited and Koth used his ability to purify the ore of his people to ease inter-tribal tensions. However, this was not the end of their strife. Phyrexian corruption had come to Mirroden, and Koth burned their insignia into his arm as a constant reminder of the horror facing his people. Knowing he could not defeat the Phyrexians himself, Koth set out to The Heroes' Memorial to seek help. There he earned the sages' trust and they tell him about a place called Runeterra that may have the help he needs.

So Koth journeyed to Runeterra and found the continent of Valoran, where the sages’ mystical Summoners live. The sages of the Memorial told him of these Summoners’ great magical prowess and their commitment to its responsible use. When Koth met with them, however, they were not as charitable as he had hoped. Eventually they came to an agreement. Koth would fight in the League of Legends for a set time, and in return he would be given several Summoners to take back to Mirroden and command against the Phyrexian forces. He remains in the League today, fighting for the Institute's help and training his skills against the day he will fulfill the purpose of his Phyrexian mark and free the people of Mirroden.

Suggested roles: Jungle, Top

Stats:

Quote:
HP: 430 + 86
Health Regen: 6.75 + .75
Resource - mana
Mana: 220 + 35
Mana Regen: 6.5 + .55
Attack Damage: 50 + 3
Attack Speed: .67 + 2.5%
Armor: 19 + 3.5
Magic Resist: 30 + 1.25
Move speed: 340
Range : 125 (melee)

Abilities:

Passive - Relentless
Quote:
Koth's basic attacks mark enemies with Relentless for five seconds. Koth gains armor and magic resist based on how many enemy champions are marked.
Bonus Armor/MR: 5 / 15 / 25 / 35 / 50
Range:
Effects: Marked enemies have a boulder floating around them.

Q - Demonsbane
Quote:
Koth charges forward on a pillar of stone dealing damage and causing additional effects based on which weapon he is currently using.
Koth generates a charge of Demonsbane every few seconds, up to a maximum of 3 stored at once. Upon death, Koth will respawn with 0 charges. Dealing damage with a charge decreases its cooldown by 3 seconds.
Individual physical damage: 15 / 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 (+ 40% AD)
Three cast total: 45 / 120 / 195 / 270 / 345 (+ 120% AD)
Additional effect: Hammers: Single target knockback and 0.5 second stun (0.75 sec. overall cc) |and 30% slow for three seconds|??
Claws: 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26% Armor Reduction for three seconds
These additional effects can only be applied the first time he deals damage with his Q after switching weapons with his W.
Range: 300, linear
Targeting: on-hit linear skillshot
Cost: probably scaling
Charge Cooldown: 8 seconds; reduced to 5 if it does damage
Static Cooldown: 1 second between successive casts
Additional Notes: Hammer: When the cc is applied to a target, they get a reticle similar to Udyr or Nautilus stuns indicating how long until it can be applied again.
Koth stops upon hitting an enemy, and enemies are hit back 100 units from the point of collision in the direction Koth was travelling. (picture Rammus's Q effect)
Claws:
General: Demonsbane cannot be used to cross impassable terrain, but it can be used to cross player-created terrain such as J4’s Cataclysm or Anivia’s Crystallize.
Demonsbane cannot be used while Koth is immobilized.
Effects: Koth pushes off of the ground, creating a wave of stone behind him and raises either his claws or hammers to strike

W - Petrastein/Pietresin/?? Hands
Quote:
Koth morphs the rock surrounding his hands into whichever weapon he is not currently using, massive basalt hammers or obsidian-sharp claws.
Koth gains attack damage when using hammers and attack speed from his claws.
Attack Speed bonus: 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 / 18%
Attack Damage bonus: 20 / 23 / 26 / 30 / 34
Cost: ?? mana
Cooldown: 5 seconds
Additional Notes:
Effects:

E - Shield
Quote:
Koth absorbs stone from the ground, purifying it into metal armor. This grants him a shield and doubles the effect of his passive for five seconds.
Shield: 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 / 200
Shield Duration: 5 seconds
Cost: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 mana
Cooldown: 20 / 18 / 16 / 14 / 12

R - Pillar of Mirroden
Quote:
Koth creates a stone pillar at the target location, dealing damage, knocking enemies up, and summoning a pit of quicksand that slows enemies based on how long they stay in the area.
Physical Damage: Pillar: 200 / 300 / 400 (+ 75% Bonus AD)
Quicksand: 100 / 180 / 260 / 340 / 420 (+ 100% AP)
CC: Standard 1-second knockup
Min/max slow: 20% / 80%
Slow increase per second: 15%
Range: 800, ground target
AoE: Pillar: 200 radius circle
Quicksand: 300 radius circle
Targeting: Effects apply to all enemies, minions, and monsters
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 110 / 100 / 90
Additional Notes: Tenacity does not effect this slow, as it stops whenever the champion exits the AoE
Quicksand deals max damage/4 per second, so 25 / 45 / 65 etc. + 17.5% ratios
Effects: Pillar:
Quicksand: The ground turns lighter and starts to shift in a circular pattern

Additional notes:
Effects:
[/QUOTE]

Gameplay:
Quote:
Koth is mainly a bruiser, putting out sustained melee damage while using his cc, shield, and passive to keep himself alive. He benefits greatly from spellblade items, having two relatively short cooldown and cost abilities. His jungling ability stems mostly from the increased sustain provided by jungling and his relatively fast clear times. His ganks are harder to pull off pre-six, relying mostly on good positioning to use his Q's cc effevtively. When laning, he can use his Q to poke or burst his enemy, but when he's low on charges, he has to rely on his shield and passive to win trades. Not having Q's charged up also limits his mobility, leaving it up to his enemy laner to bait the Q's for damage when they call for their jungler. Mid-game Koth can initiate fights with his ult or Q, absorbing damage and either focusing down one enemy with his Q and W effects or spreading mayhem to make his passive and shield even stronger. His split-pushing ability is also good because of the mobility and single target damage he can offer when ahead and damage-focused.
Koth suffers from having no innate sustain other than his shield, however, and being very melee-focused for the majority of his damage and defense leaves him vulnerable to poke-heavy champions.

Suggested Items:
Quote:
Starting Items:
Hunter's Machete
Health Potion x4
Red Trinket

Core Items:
Spirit of the Elder Lizard
Mercury Treads
The Brutalizer

Offensive Items:
Black Cleaver
Ravenous Hydra
Trinity Force

Defensive Items:
Frozen Gauntlet
Sunfire Cape
Spirit Visage

Consumables:
Health Potion
Mana Potion
Sight Ward

Quotes:
Quote:
Attacking/Moving:
*Rumbling stones*
“For the Hammer!”
“Into battle!”
“Feel the weight of my blows!”
Selection:
“I will unite the people of Mirroden once more”
“Peace and harmony through decisive action”
Taunt:
“I will treat you as my people treat ore – lots of fire and a sound beating”
“You may not be Phyrexians, but you will see just as little mercy”
Joke:
*Juggles stones then gets distracted and they keep going*
Against Malphite:
“You are a pebble compared to the mountains I have shattered”

Koth2.jpg

MagykMancer

Recruiter

09-23-2014

Changelog:

Quote:
9/23 Posted abilities, stats, items, and quotes
9/24 Formatting, Q wording, passive
9/25 Lore
9/29 Changed Passive, updated lore, tweaked stats, working on his ult and E
10/3 Kinda sorta overhauled everything. He wasn't feeling cohesive, thematically or role-wise, so I'm trying to fix that. Added gameplay for the updated kit. (still working)

RamsaySnow

09-23-2014

Ok first off. From the kit and most base stats, it seems like you want this guy to be a cc bot/tank as his primary role, with damage being a possible, but secondary and niche build. In that case, his base MS is too high. The only ones who get 345-355 MS are scrappy fighters. Fighter/tanks get MAX 340, usually 330-335. Pure tanks usually get 325-330.

There's no innate yet, what were you thinking about putting here?

Q: Description is a little clunky. It feels exactly like a spammable Gragas Body Slam. The stun limit prevents stun spam, which is good, but because it only applies to one target, you could spam this and kind of chain stun multiple targets in a teamfight which would be incredibly annoying. I would reduce this to max 2 charges so that he can engage then escape, but if he uses the second charge he risks giving up his escape. As far as total damage dealt, the rank 1 damage is very low but the rank 3 damage is quite high. I would raise the rank 1 damage to (~30 if you keep 3 charges, 40-45 if you lower to 2), then lower the damage added per rank (to 10-12 if 3 ranks, 20-25 if you lower it to 2). The range is VERY short though making it a little bit hard to use. This does limit his annoyance factor in teamfights, but it also hurts his usefulness. Does he stop on the first unit hit or does he go to the end of the range? If he knocks back someone at the very beginning does he take them to the end of the dash or are they knocked back a fixed distance/knocked out of his path? If he hits someone at the very end of the path, are they knocked back just to the end of his path or a fixed distance? Scaling on AD is weird if you're going for the tank route. Most tanks scale on AP and deal magic damage because MR is harder to get so their damage is more relevant that way and the fact that most items that provide utility that tanks woudl want have AP and not AD if they have an offensive stat attached. If you're going the fighter route, then you need to rework the scaling on the other abilities because it's a little insane right now if you're assuming that players will build him aggressively.

As far as rewording the description, the first sentence is fine, but the charge time is a little odd. Just say he regenerates a charge every 11/10/9/8/7 seconds. Charge time is reduced by 2 seconds if he hits a unit with the ability like Body Slam does. Then just say he has a maximum of 2-3 charges. Much simpler, easier to read, etc.

W: Would be cooler if it was metal instead of rocks. Like he pulls the minerals out of the enemies armor reducing their armor and magic resistance, and giving it to him in addition to a shield. The stat boost/debuff only lasts until the shield breaks. Or dont have the stat boost and just have the shield for a duration. Whichever.

E: This is too similar to Leona's Zenith Blade. But it deals a ton more damage and has a much longer range. This is a huge nuke and if he builds AP it will deal a crapton of damage over a huge distance. The AP scaling and range needs reduced pretty badly. Not sure what to tell you to do to fix it, but this needs to change. It really just seems like a hugely buffed Leona E and it's even on the same spell.

R: I would actually think you could make this more interesting/useful by making it a field of molten stone that follows him wherever he walks for a few seconds. It slows all enemies and deals damage over time, but speeds up allies (visually maybe make the ground solidify into metal plates where your ally walks). Then make your basic attacks root for 1 second. If they've been hit before the they are rooted again for half the duration. This can happen up to 3 times per target. (1s -> .5s -> .25s) Or keep your version of 1.5s per target (1 time per cast per target). But I think the slow field around him instead of targeted to opponents would be more thematic and visually appealing.

I can't say much more since I don't know what the innate is and that could either bring the kit together or make basically no difference. Right now he looks like a standard engage->disruptive tank. Nothing wrong with that, but make sure that the gameplay or his background/flavor is compelling enough that people overlook that his mechanics are very similar to other disruptive tanks like Naut/Amumu.

If you'd take a look at Ral Zarek on the 12th page of the MTG competition, I'd appreciate it.

MagykMancer

Recruiter

09-24-2014

My thoughts on Koth were less disruptive tank and much more early damage into tanky bruiser a la vi, panth, j4, lee, etc.
I think I'll tweak his base stats a bit to reflect that. (Which is why the big move speed, which I may change now)

Q:
Thanks for the rewording, I feel like I just confused myself when I wrote that.
His chain stun really isn't big at all compared to nautilus or udyr, who can both stun or root all five enemy champions with only auto attacks. I'm trying to make the range so that even with three dashes he doesn't have too much mobility but he can still use it to dodge skillshots and be sticky.
For the damage, I've run level three and five simulations against j4 and kha'zix in lane and their combo damage is always very similar to Koth's. Why do you say the values are too low/high? Also, I'm curious what you meant by insane damage with only a 1.2 AD ratio.
Which brings me to his

E: I evidently didn't explain it well, so I'll work on that, but this is a one-hit skillshot that stops when it his someone, just like Amumu's Bandage Toss. I only meant to compare single-target cc to Leona's Zenith Blade. As such, I think a 1 AP ratio on someone who won't benefit in any other way from AP isn't bad. J4 has a .8 ratio on his e (which is aoe) and Amumu has a .8 ratio on his q (which is easier to hit) so I don't think it's too much.

R: I definitely see that it's not super satisfying as it is now, so I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your suggestions

His passive, right now, is "Koth gains 75 attack range on champion kill or assist (total 200) for [3-5, not sure] seconds. Subsequent kills or assists refresh this timer" There aren't many examples of attack range bonus on a melee champ that aren't ults so I'm a bit worried about balancing, but I like the synergy it provides with his ult and bruiser type damage.

I'm really grateful for your help, and I'll put up my review of Ral Zarek sometime today. I'll just stick it in the competition thread.

RamsaySnow

09-24-2014

Quote:
MagykMancer:
My thoughts on Koth were less disruptive tank and much more early damage into tanky bruiser a la vi, panth, j4, lee, etc.
I think I'll tweak his base stats a bit to reflect that. (Which is why the big move speed, which I may change now)

He needs more damage scaling/abilities that deal damage if you want him to function like them. Looking at Vi, All of her abilities are built to help her deal damage including the innate which gives her the shield to stay alive during her burst. Panth is all damage, j4 is a weird case because he's a tank with the kit of a fighter. If you want him to fit into their type of fighter/tank then you need more ability to deal damage. Which is why I suggest you don't do the atk range passive you were thinking of. 75 bonus range isn't that big of a deal and it doesn't enable him as much as it should for an ability like that. He has 3 short dashes and 1 long dash so he has no problems with kiting them around or chasing them, but more than that none of them are AA based, which kinda wastes the passive. Same with the ult, he has all the mobility he needs to make the attack range redundant even when the hard cc is applied by AA. If you want him to be scrappier, give him a passive that deals more damage with his aa's. That encourages him to stay and fight enemies.

Quote:
Q:
Thanks for the rewording, I feel like I just confused myself when I wrote that.
His chain stun really isn't big at all compared to nautilus or udyr, who can both stun or root all five enemy champions with only auto attacks. I'm trying to make the range so that even with three dashes he doesn't have too much mobility but he can still use it to dodge skillshots and be sticky.
For the damage, I've run level three and five simulations against j4 and kha'zix in lane and their combo damage is always very similar to Koth's. Why do you say the values are too low/high? Also, I'm curious what you meant by insane damage with only a 1.2 AD ratio.
15 bonus damage is very low on a single cast and usually only comes with a high total AD ratio, which .4 is not. Even with 3 casts, it seems low assuming they're skillshots, but also because you have to use up all 3 charges which puts you at risk. With such a low base value on rank 1, it's weird to have such highly scaling base damage to where it ends up at 345 base damage which is pretty high for a basic ability. Rank 2 has more than double the base damage, and rank 3 has more than 4 times the base damage and rank 4 deals 6 times as much damage.

The concern with the stun was also that it was AoE similar to Gragas E. If it's single target, then it's ok because of what you said with udyr/naut. But if its AoE then that comparison isn't really fair.

Quote:
E: I evidently didn't explain it well, so I'll work on that, but this is a one-hit skillshot that stops when it his someone, just like Amumu's Bandage Toss. I only meant to compare single-target cc to Leona's Zenith Blade. As such, I think a 1 AP ratio on someone who won't benefit in any other way from AP isn't bad. J4 has a .8 ratio on his e (which is aoe) and Amumu has a .8 ratio on his q (which is easier to hit) so I don't think it's too much.

My comment was based on it being AoE not colliding single target because of the comparison to leona E, as single target its fine. Still not terribly exciting, but functional.

Quote:
His passive, right now, is "Koth gains 75 attack range on champion kill or assist (total 200) for [3-5, not sure] seconds. Subsequent kills or assists refresh this timer" There aren't many examples of attack range bonus on a melee champ that aren't ults so I'm a bit worried about balancing, but I like the synergy it provides with his ult and bruiser type damage.
The reason I don't like this is that its not a big enough boost to be that big of a deal, other champs get range boosts comparable or greater on spammable abilities, and he doesn't benefit from AAs as much with the current kit as many of hte champions you listed. And it only becomes available on kill or assist which likely wouldn't help until AFTER you used your ult.

MagykMancer

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Because champion designs are due tonight, this will be fairly close to Koth's final kit. I think this makes him much more interesting and a bit more unique, but any additional insight is welcome.

Leoquaz

10-05-2014

Quote:
First things first, this is a character from MTG that I'm turning into a League champ for Oventoasted's competition.
Anyone who wants to give feedback of any kind, please do. I'm up for trading you a review if you want.

sorry for the delay man...i am the creator of Trodoom...thank for that..and let's start this

Quote:

AWESOME art!...love MtG as well!

Quote:
Stats:
HP: 430 + 86
Health Regen: 6.75 + .75
Resource - mana
Mana: 220 + 35
Mana Regen: 6.5 + .55
Attack Damage: 50 + 3
Attack Speed: .67 + 2.5%
Armor: 19 + 3.5
Magic Resist: 30 + 1.25
Move speed: 340
Range : 125 (melee)

my nly concern here is the armor scale, he will have 82 armor at lvl 18, i get that he is a melee fighter and stuff, but still it looks too much

Abilities:

Quote:
Passive - RelentlessKoth's basic attacks mark enemies with Relentless for five seconds. Koth gains armor and magic resist based on how many enemy champions are marked.
Bonus Armor/MR: 5 / 15 / 25 / 35 / 50
Range:
Effects: Marked enemies have a boulder floating around them.

2 observations!
1.Hydra works with this?...because this would easily grant Koth up 250 armor and MR in a teamfight. and that is like 2 free items!
2. and why the scale start so weak and end so strong? scaling 10, 10, 10, 15 ????

Quote:
Q - DemonsbaneKoth charges forward on a pillar of stone dealing damage and causing additional effects based on which weapon he is currently using.
Koth generates a charge of Demonsbane every few seconds, up to a maximum of 3 stored at once. Upon death, Koth will respawn with 0 charges. Dealing damage with a charge decreases its cooldown by 3 seconds.
Individual physical damage: 15 / 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 (+ 40% AD)
Three cast total: 45 / 120 / 195 / 270 / 345 (+ 120% AD)
Additional effect: Hammers: Single target knockback and 0.5 second stun (0.75 sec. overall cc) |and 30% slow for three seconds|??
Claws: 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26% Armor Reduction for three seconds
These additional effects can only be applied the first time he deals damage with his Q after switching weapons with his W.
Range: 300, linear
Targeting: on-hit linear skillshot
Cost: probably scaling
Charge Cooldown: 8 seconds; reduced to 5 if it does damage
Static Cooldown: 1 second between successive casts
Additional Notes: Hammer: When the cc is applied to a target, they get a reticle similar to Udyr or Nautilus stuns indicating how long until it can be applied again.
Koth stops upon hitting an enemy, and enemies are hit back 100 units from the point of collision in the direction Koth was travelling. (picture Rammus's Q effect)
Claws:
General: Demonsbane cannot be used to cross impassable terrain, but it can be used to cross player-created terrain such as J4’s Cataclysm or Anivia’s Crystallize.
Demonsbane cannot be used while Koth is immobilized.
Effects: Koth pushes off of the ground, creating a wave of stone behind him and raises either his claws or hammers to strike

visually awesome!...but where is the cooldown?

Quote:
W - Petrastein/Pietresin/?? HandsKoth morphs the rock surrounding his hands into whichever weapon he is not currently using, massive basalt hammers or obsidian-sharp claws.
Koth gains attack damage when using hammers and attack speed from his claws.
Attack Speed bonus: 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 / 18%
Attack Damage bonus: 20 / 23 / 26 / 30 / 34
Cost: ?? mana
Cooldown: 5 seconds
Additional Notes:
Effects:

i got the point of this skill, but it looks too much like jinx/jayce...nothing wrong with that but it is only a tool to sinergize with Q and

Quote:
E - ShieldKoth absorbs stone from the ground, purifying it into metal armor. This grants him a shield and doubles the effect of his passive for three seconds.
Shield: 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 / 200
Cost: 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 mana
Cooldown: 20 / 18 / 16 / 14 / 12

so depending on how much Armor/MR you have because of his Innate you will get double?
IF hydra works on him, it means he can have up to 500 armor and MR for 3 seconds?(wich is most of a teamfight)
i am ok with this skill doubles the innate amount BUTthe innate should go lower....just for a bit

Quote:
R - Pillar of MirrodenKoth creates a stone pillar at the target location, dealing damage, knocking enemies up, and summoning a pit of quicksand that slows enemies based on how long they stay in the area.
Physical Damage: Pillar: 200 / 300 / 400 (+ 75% Bonus AD)
Quicksand: 100 / 180 / 260 / 340 / 420 (+ 100% AP)
CC: Standard 1-second knockup
Min/max slow: 20% / 80%
Slow increase per second: 15%
Range: 800, ground target
AoE: Pillar: 200 radius circle
Quicksand: 300 radius circle
Targeting: Effects apply to all enemies, minions, and monsters
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 110 / 100 / 90
Additional Notes: Tenacity does not effect this slow, as it stops whenever the champion exits the AoE
Quicksand deals max damage/4 per second, so 25 / 45 / 65 etc. + 17.5% ratios
Effects: Pillar:
Quicksand: The ground turns lighter and starts to shift in a circular pattern

Leo likes this skill! but how long it lasts?

OVERALL:
i liked Koth, it is a champion that i would buy, his numbers are needign a few tweeks here and there, but that is fine
7,5/10!

MagykMancer

Recruiter

10-06-2014

Thanks so much for your feedback Leoquaz. I'll reword the passive so that it's clear it doesn't interact with hydra or anything else like that, which was my original intent. You bring up a point I've been worried about, which is the scaling on his passive, but I must not have worded it well because you misunderstood. The scaling is for how many champions he's marked, not a level scaling or something. So he gets 50 armor when he's marked five chamions. Ultimately I want to reward him for making the choice of attacking every single person on the enemy team
(hence the weird scaling) and dedicating his teamfight time to tanking rather than doing much damage, and I want the counterplay to that to be great peel and a solid front line he can't get past. However you're definitely right and the passive is super OP right now, so I'll change that.