Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

All City-States Reworked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OBRN

09-22-2014

Was wondering if we are going to be seeing each city-state and region geta rework. The Shurima event encompassed more than just Azir, Riot managed to include nearly every Shurima related champion in a lore update to rebuild the lore of Shurima as a whole. Now with the Sion Reborn update, it seems as though the story of Sion is going to include more than just Sion himself, but include more Noxus champs in his story as well, possibly to encompass the whole of Noxus's champs as well.

I think this would be an awesome way to rework the lore of LoL again. While I'm not a fan of the rework itself (getting rid of summoners and the IoW) but this seems like a cool way to go over LoL lore again. Especially revisiting the rivalry between Demacia and Noxus (I've felt that this particular rivalry has been largely swept under the rug for more lore between Ionia and Noxus...I mean, when as the last time we actually took a good hard look at Demacia?) Will we be seeing a Shadow Isles rework? A Bandle City rework? The Void? Freljord (though I believe the Freljord has had quite a bit of time in the limelight with the Howling Abyss, Lissandra, etc.)? Ionia (same as Freljord)? Time will tell, but I love the idea of using zone reworks for lore reworks.

Tesla Effect

Recruiter

09-25-2014

Maybe in the future, right now the lore changes are very young and with no clear path.

Riot Whren

Associate Concept Artist

09-25-2014

First off, I'd like to say that these reworks are the collective effort of a TON of people, from narrative writers to champions designers, splash artists and visual development artists. They take a pretty long time to nail down and truly explore because there are so many factors to consider, and also because it's not an area we have visited before (literally). Events such as Reborn and Ascension are the culmination of a long, long period of investigation, research, exploration, and most importantly iteration.

With that said, a lot of people (myself included) are invested in fleshing out all the factions and making sure they have the in-depth exploration and coverage that they all deserve. I can probably safely say that yes we have our eyes on all the factions and this is something we are already actively doing. The results are not immediate because that's simply the nature of building out a world, but many of us are super passionate about Runeterra and our factions, and it's an ongoing process.

TerraRising

09-25-2014

Whren,

Will it get to a point where we'll start getting finishes to some of these stories? One of the biggest problems with all of Riot's Lore/Narrative teams is an inability to finish a story. Great expositions, but it just drops off to nothing soon afterwards.

OuttaControl56

09-25-2014

Good response, and I have a question too!

Are we going to still see some global international stage? The IoW was good at doing that, with Ionia giving its opinion (or Ionian champs) on whatever was happening down in Bandle City. Are we going to be seeing some of that "United Nations" sort of drama happen later on?

Anyhow- love the Noxian lore. Great job!

Riot Whren

Associate Concept Artist

09-25-2014

@TerraRising:
I personally don't have insight into the answer for that. There's linear, story progression-driven narrative, and then there's non-linear story-telling, and I think we're still investigating these varied approaches. Again, I don't have a definitive answer to your question because I don't have context on those decisions -- but I think a good starting point would be to view Runeterra as an evolving and living world.

Finnical

09-25-2014

Quote:
Riot Whren:
First off, I'd like to say that these reworks are the collective effort of a TON of people, from narrative writers to champions designers, splash artists and visual development artists. They take a pretty long time to nail down and truly explore because there are so many factors to consider, and also because it's not an area we have visited before (literally). Events such as Reborn and Ascension are the culmination of a long, long period of investigation, research, exploration, and most importantly iteration.

With that said, a lot of people (myself included) are invested in fleshing out all the factions and making sure they have the in-depth exploration and coverage that they all deserve. I can probably safely say that yes we have our eyes on all the factions and this is something we are already actively doing. The results are not immediate because that's simply the nature of building out a world, but many of us are super passionate about Runeterra and our factions, and it's an ongoing process.

You don't really have a choice if you want to have lore in the game at all. Without the Institute of War I don't see how Thresh and Lucian would be willing to work together. Your lore team is clearly working hard, but have done nothing to explain why these people would be willing to fight together, whereas the Institute explained it very well.

Trolosaurus

09-25-2014

You know what we need more lore of?
Bilgewater.
Poor neglected Bilgewater

TerraRising

09-25-2014

Quote:
Riot Whren:
@TerraRising:
I personally don't have insight into the answer for that. There's linear, story progression-driven narrative, and then there's non-linear story-telling, and I think we're still investigating these varied approaches. Again, I don't have a definitive answer to your question because I don't have context on those decisions -- but I think a good starting point would be to view Runeterra as an evolving and living world.

All due respect, sir or madam (I don't know, so apologies),

There's "living and evolving" and then there's "incomplete."

It's possible to tell a full story and still leave room for more. We call them "sequels."

For example, the Freljord conflict could have finished with a stalemate.
• Ashe couldn't destroy Lissandra alone, so she doesn't want to finish off Sejuani.
• Sejuani backs off because of a lack of resources and allies.
• Lissandra realizes she doesn't have quite enough power to resurrect the watchers or freeze the Freljord, so she retreats to the North.

(It's not very good, I confess, but I'm just one person spending 60 seconds coming up with an ending for Freljord whereas Riot is a mega-national corporation with entire teams supposedly working on this stuff!)

Then, when Narrative revisits Freljord, some new champion could break the detente between the three of them.

THAT is what I'd like to see more from Narrative, instead of the half-told stories we've been getting since the Journal of Justice was cancelled.

OuttaControl56

09-25-2014

Quote:
Trolosaurus:
You know what we need more lore of?
Bilgewater.
Poor neglected Bilgewater

GP Rework.

Soon...