Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proposition: Preserving the Institute and Summoning

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SecretLore

09-23-2014

@Cookiehime:
that are a lot of ifs,it would still result into a pretty unstable concept,I mean one doesn't just start a world war against one nation just like that.

The fact that zaun and bilgewater(and the shadow isles also seem to have a connection with noxus) are in it for their own gain would probably just make it more likely that they take this chance to overthrow the league,I mean with the league still intact,it is gonna be harder for them to ever take action ever again(or protect against a bigger alliance) if noxus gets weakened(or completely destroyed)

Glaricion

09-23-2014

Quote:
Cookiehime:

Why would arch-enemies be fighting alongside one another? This is definitely a problem to which I haven't thought of a solution (yet... but I'll try to think of something). But in the canon lore matches, they would definitely not be working together (like the Noxus vs Ionia match).

Except in rare instances (Lore Matches and the like) the summoned champions are actually just constructs made to emulate the champions they are representing.

Cookiehime

09-23-2014

Quote:
SecretLore:
@Cookiehime:
that are a lot of ifs,it would still result into a pretty unstable concept,I mean one doesn't just start a world war against one nation just like that.

The fact that zaun and bilgewater(and the shadow isles also seem to have a connection with noxus) are in it for their own gain would probably just make it more likely that they take this chance to overthrow the league,I mean with the league still intact,it is gonna be harder for them to ever take action ever again(or protect against a bigger alliance) if noxus gets weakened(or completely destroyed)

But the ifs are fun speculation! It's like playing a game of GoT with your friends. It's just to say that breaching the agreement would have been unwise of Boram. Too much trouble than it's worth. Not sure why Bilge would want to overthrow League though. What would they gain from that? GP is already the self-appointed leader of Bilgewater. They get tons of cash for participating in the League. Why help Noxus? I wouldn't do that if I were a [true] pirate. This is what I'd say to Noxus:

"Yar-haar! Ain't walking the plank for ye, landlubber!"

Though, you're right that SI and Zaun could suffer from a weakened Noxus. They would probably ally themselves to Noxus if they felt they'd lose influence in the long-run. But Bilgewater are the true neutrals out there. They would not be concerned about the wars on the main continent and keep to their life of piracy. Plundering a weakened Noxus sounds very enticing though.

Quote:
Glaricion:
Except in rare instances (Lore Matches and the like) the summoned champions are actually just constructs made to emulate the champions they are representing.

Thanks! Saves me the trouble of explaining those matches.

Cookiehime

09-23-2014

I didn't take that much time developing those ideas, but I hope they shed some light on how Nexuses function and what what purpose they serve (nexi... lol?)

What are nexuses?

From the wiki:

"In each mode, the Nexus is what gives summoners the control over their champions. Once destroyed, the tie to their selected champions are severed, ending the game."

The definition may go against what I've previously written about the identity of Summoners (mediators instead of puppet-masters) and possibly against how I described summoning. But let's stick to the most important part in the definition: nexuses allow the Summoners to form a mental link with the champion's mind.

Without those crystals, do the Summoners still have the power to summon? If not, that could de facto make them less powerful than we always thought since, without them, how will they ever forge a mental link? Destroy the nexus, destroy the link.

But we do not want Summoners to be totally useless. So, nexuses simply act as "amplifiers" that facilitate the mental connection between the Summoner and the champion's mind and allow the champion to be summoned more easily. Summoners still keep their abilities, only that it is harder to perform their art without the crystals.

Properties of the nexuses

Nexuses are able to absorb, contain and amplify magic (I believe this was mentioned in one of the Kalamanda articles). Going by those properties, nexus crystals act as regulators and only Summoners have the capacity to use them to regulate magic.

Those who fight on the FoJ are "nerfed" and their magical abilities are always under control because Summoners have the ability to monitor the levels of magic (mostly thanks to the nexus). However, in the Kalamanda incident, Summoners used a portable nexus to amplify time enchantments to form a chrono-stasis bubble.

Though, to be fair, it does seem a bit strange that the summoners could use Zilean's Urtistani time-techniques. Perhaps it would have been best if they amplified Zilean's time magic to allow the chrono-stasis bubble to be formed instead. The fact that they were given the power to manipulate time could be the very reason most people think that the IoW is far too powerful. I would not mind seeing that part edited to get rid of the idea that Summoners are control freaks. The war in Kalamanda would, however, still have happened and Zilean would have intervened, assisted by the summoners (instead of it being the other way around).

Why Summoners seek nexuses?

Nexuses are the Summoners' main power source. That is why the League was interested in the Nexuses found in Kalamanda, turning the Crystal Scar into another FoJ. That unfortunately paints them as some kind of power-hungry entity, claiming dominion over all the crystals they could find. However, we can still look at it from a different perspective. Since the crystals have the ability to contain/absorb magic, the IoW could use them as a means to monitor magic and prevent it from going rampant, which would go in line with the "mediator" type of Summoners who stay true to their mission rather than the "puppet-master" kind of Summoners who just want moar power. Monitoring magic=Prevent Rune War.

Origins of nexuses

The origins of the nexus crystals are a real mystery. Where did they come from and why do they exist? Are they magical artifacts or can they be artifically constructed from crystals? I hope that some writers will let their imagination run free and come up with a cool explanation for that. It's still part of building the game's world, right?

Cookiehime

09-24-2014

Champion immunity when they join the League

Violence between League champions outside the FoJ is prohibited as stated in one of the JoJ issues. Once an individual chooses to become a champion, they have to abide by a contract where they are not allowed to kill another League champion. That is because they are all affiliated to the same organization and are, in a way, under their jurisdiction.

So, why wouldn't figures like Boram or J3 choose to be part of the League?

Even if they had the power to champion their own cause, they can personally choose not to be under the League's jurisdiction. They would, in this way, be free to kill champions who happen to be outside the FoJ since they are not bound by the contract. But it works the other way around too.

With that said, there is a way to allow Lissandra to join the League without it feeling contrived. This is a simple example, but let's say that Princess Lissandra, the Ice Dervish, the blonde chick from the JoJ, reveals her true form as the Ice Witch. Only Quinn has witnessed her transformation and she reports back to Demacia. Demacia, having some friendly connection with the Freljord, alerts Queen Ashe. Now everyone knows that Lissandra is an imposter. The Ice Witch would hence present herself to the Institute and demand to be part of the League. The binding contract would prevent Ashe or Sejuani from killing Lissandra even if they wanted to and she can still gain influence and carry out her secret plans. The Summoner in the Reflection Chamber, if I recall, only sees a fragment of the Champion's past and not their present intentions. It would have been cool to see a judgment for Lissandra, where you learn about her youth centuries ago. The League would not imprison her since they won't see her as a direct threat. If she's not here to cause a Rune War, the Institute will not act. So, she still fits in and is free to try and summon the Watchers from the Howling Abyss. By earning influence on the FoJ and displaying the power of True Ice, she could sway the minds of some Freljordians from Ashe's and Sejuani's tribes as well as the other citizens from across Valoran.

What the contract allows

The contract does not stop champions from harming or killing people who are not part of the League. For example, Malzahar could send Kassadin's daughter to the Void and not be reprimanded. Neither the Institute nor the Zaunite authorities could care less. Kassadin cutting down the whole power supply of the city got the Zaunites' attention though. But still no League intervention. The IoW would, however, grant Kassadin immunity from being arrested by the Zaunite authorities. If Yasuo is still considered part of the League, he too would receive immunity from Ionian authorities. Graves too from breaking out of jail. League is the go-to place if you're wanted for a crime. Just as long as one lends their services to the institution and isn't out to start a Rune War, anything is tolerated. But if the champion is caught outside the FoJ and attacked by non-League members, the League will not intervene since no contract binds those who aren't affiliated to the League. Nothing prevents them from killing champions outside the Institute's walls.

Authorities from different city-states could have some level of disdain towards the Institute for housing criminals. But it works like a legal sanctuary.

Preferential treatment?

J4 and Swain did not receive any kind of punishment when they fought outside of the FoJ, unlike Kassadin and Malzahar. Is it because of their political standing and the level of power and influence they have in Valoran? It would be an interesting way to show how differently champions are treated depending on their reputation. Kassadin and Malzahar are outliers who do not belong to a city-state. They are mere nomads, lending their services to the Institute, and have absolutely no political standing.

[Joining the Institute would, however, allow them to gain influence and popularity. Kinda like how Sivir became popular. Before the updated bio, I had no clue where she came from. But since she's apparently a Shuriman outlier, it's cool to know that she could earn her fame across Valoran and be recognized as one of the best mercenaries out there by proving her skills on and off the FoJ.]

---------

TBC: Breaking the contract (More than an arrest)

Tesla Effect

Recruiter

09-25-2014

Bump FOR SUMMONERS!

Dotintheparadox

09-25-2014

Bumping for an actually intelligent, and well thought out retcon of the lore.

Takeyo Efthulc

09-26-2014

I honestly think that the wiki is likely to be mistaken in claiming that the Nexi grant Summoners "control" over the champions. The "Summoners are omnipotent puppet-masters" misconception seems to be extremely widespread and common. That partially explains why the new lore team didn't bother unearthing and resurrecting the original concept: it is nearly unheard-of. That's disappointing because at the beginning they really did make a huge point of clarifying that, in the story at least, Summoners do not exercise direct move-by-move control over the champions, and that rather it is a teamwork relationship.

Cookiehime

09-27-2014

Yeah. I think the teamwork relationship was mentioned somewhere in one of the earlier JoJ issues. One of the closest analogies you can make for Summoners is comparing them to Jedi from Star Wars. They have some pseudo-psychic abilities that are somewhat similar but different enough to be their own thing. It's just a different take on the psychic powers trope.

Back to where I left off.

Rules set up by the Institute in regards to champions

Lore-wise, it is not acceptable for champions to fight one another outside the FoJ. But then you have cases like Blitz punching Singed or J4 and Swain fighting.

This is my personal take on the justice system (since none have been established thus far). One form of punishment that can be carried out by the Institute is retributive justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retributive_justice). Blitz punching Singed would warrant a simple warning or none at all because it's quite insignificant. However, violent fights like the one between Kassadin and Malzahar, which could have resulted in a champion's death, are more severe and will be punished accordingly. They could be confined for a while, but they will have to pay up for their infraction of the rules of the Institute based on the severity of said infraction. There are several examples provided in the link I posted. It is possible to base the punishments in LoL's universe on one of the forms of retributive justice found in real life. Applying it to the Institute's rules and its justice system could make it believable.

[I'm not sure which form of retributive justice would be best and the idea I have is extremely vague. But post your suggestions. It could allow Malzahar's and Kassadin's story to continue retcon-free.]

What about Kalamanda?

Swain and J4 will not be punished because they have too much influence on the global political stage, perhaps more so than the Institute itself. The Institute intervened to mitigate and appease the conflict, acting like mediators.

The death of a major political figure who is a member of the League by the hands of another League champion would result in drastic punishment by the Institute regardless of their socio-political status.

The IoW would strip the murderers of their status as champion for killing a fellow champion. Justice will be served by the authorities of the city-states involved. The League no longer grants them immunity.

[This is a tentative example. But tell me what you think.]