Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proposition: Preserving the Institute and Summoning

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cookiehime

09-21-2014

Since Narrative is having a hard time working with the former setting of League of Legends, why not let the community lend them a hand by sharing and contributing their ideas? Let us work together in a joint effort to make everyone happy.

I'll start by trying to define Summoning. It's very metaphysical but I hope it's logical enough to make sense.

What is Summoning?

Summoning is an ancient magical art born and practiced during the Rune Wars. Only the most potent and talented individuals can skillfully use it.

How Summoning works

Summoning involves a condition whereby the Summoner channels his/her innate magical energy to forge a soul link with the Summonee. Once the link is established, the Summoner will be able to teleport the Summonee to a specific location.

Rules of Summoning

When the soul link is established, the Summonee will usually be allowed to answer to the Summoner's call. If they agree and allow themselves to be summoned, the Summoner can teleport them with ease. If not, the Summoner will have to respect the Summonee's wishes. Summoners are however allowed to exert their will to forcefully call upon and control creatures such as Nocturne or Fiddlesticks due to their dangerous and uncooperative nature and most importantly because they are not recognized as denizens of Runeterra.

Forced summons will fail if the Summonee is mentally stronger than the one who calls upon him/her/it and struggles to resist the Summoner’s call. However, if several Summoners join forces and channel all their power in a summoning circle, they may be able to equate or overpower the Summonee's mind to successfully call upon them.

Summoning requires undisrupted concentration and the further away the Summonee is from the Summoner, the more effort and energy is needed to perform the task successfully. It is a dangerous exercise that requires the utmost precision in forging the soul link and summoning said person/creature. Failure on the part of the Summoner can have devastating consequences (See: Lee Sin).

Why even Summon? Sounds too much of a hassle to me…

Because magic.

But on a slightly more serious note, summoning could have come into being because mages and knights of the past wished to call upon gods and deities they believed in to aid them during the Rune Wars. They believed that they could call upon such gods to save them during harsh times or to bring their enemies to their knees. It did not work for the most part, but this type of magic slowly developed as a form of telepathy and teleportation that functioned within the inner boundaries of the world of Runeterra (space-time logic).

[On a side note, since I absolutely love the Void, it can be said that Summoning in Icathia was a dark and corrupt form of this art which tore the very fabrics of space and time, opening portals to another dimension.]

Runeterrans saw some value in Summoning despite being generally hard to master and relatively dangerous. The art of Summoning was coined Arcanum Majoris for, even now, it remains a great mystery.

But perhaps it sounds a bit less mysterious now.
----

Ask questions, share your thoughts, contribute your ideas, point out logical flaws, etc. Perhaps we can still save LoL's original premise or even make it better, allowing new stories to be told within the parameters that were set by Summoning, the IoW and the League.

Bring forth your arguments against those concepts and the problems you may find with their existence.

We shall resolve them.

P.S:

This is merely a rough draft. I didn’t take the time to refine anything but I hope that what I’ve written can give some semblance of weight and depth to the world of Runeterra without contradicting or retconning what has already been established.

Since Narrative is working solely on defining the different locations and city-states in Runeterra, which is perfectly fine and very welcome, we'll work on defining the Institute and the inner workings of the arena based on what we already know and what we could add to flesh them out.

We’ll also work on creating natural and logical situations that would allow champions who never had a reason to come to the League to be there. We could also create natural and logical events that would allow champions who were confined to the League to escape. Their stories would simply continue and branch off from the gameplay instead of never being tied to it in the first place.

SecretLore

09-21-2014

overall I think it is actually good that they stopped champs getting summoned against their will,I mean that made the champ look a bit like puppets.

The question however I would have for you is:
Why do the summoning?What do they try to achieve here?Would the IoW work just like before?Or would you change things around here?
I mean one of the problems was,that the IoW more or less prevented large-scale conflicts,because it is too powerful.

Sure you could now say that they aren't that powerful,but why would for example noxus retreat from the league if it can't force them out of ionia anyway?

Cookiehime

09-21-2014

I always thought the IoW was founded by Summoners from different city-states to stop warfare that involved destructive magic. The League seems to have been based on the irl "League of Nations." It probably was, except in the LoL universe, violence is still tolerated as long as magic does not run rampant. The arena was built to settle disputes between different factions while monitoring magic.

I would not say that the Institute is super-duper powerful or god-like. I think it was simply an organization that was created when different city-states formed a treaty or an agreement they willingly chose to abide to in order to avoid another Rune War. Since Noxus was part of the League and agreed to the treaty, they had to respect it. Which is why when Ionia won, they had withdraw their forces, else they would have breached the agreement. Breaking the pact would mean that they would no longer be part of the League and Demacia as well as the other city-states could technically wage war upon them, ally themselves to Ionia and maybe even claim Noxus as their territory; perhaps even resulting in the 6th Rune War.

Imo, I think the in-universe summoners have to be given a better and more defined identity that makes them different from ordinary mages. They could perhaps practice a different kind of magic than "normal" mages like Syndra or Annie. They seem to have psychic or telepathic capabilities and act more like mediators rather than all-powerful magicians who wreak havoc on the battlefield. Their power would stem more from force of will or mental prowess rather than raw magical power. Perhaps not everyone has the ability to summon. Though having the power to summon and possessing magical abilities may not be mutually exclusive.

Why summon? Summoners, like I said, could act as mediators rather than puppet-masters. The champion should, in-universe, be allowed to have more influence and control than the Summoner especially with major figures like J4 or Azir who should technically and rightfully have more influence and power. The Summoner would hence simply serve as a guide to help the champion on the battlefield and prevent them from causing too much magical and physical destruction (hence the canon "nerfs" lore-wise). The Summoners simply assist the champion instead of it being the other way around (minus the cases such as Nocturne or Fiddle, and maybe even bounty hunters like MF). Champions generally fight to gain fame, popularity or influence (often times for political power) and the Summoners who are affiliated with them will help them.

Why would arch-enemies be fighting alongside one another? This is definitely a problem to which I haven't thought of a solution (yet... but I'll try to think of something). But in the canon lore matches, they would definitely not be working together (like the Noxus vs Ionia match).

Takeyo Efthulc

09-22-2014

Well done, Cookiehime! If this thread gains enough traction, you can expect to see me around here more as you continue to flesh these ideas out with the rest of the community. Your concept of Summoning is almost flawlessly correct, and I really enjoyed reading how you explain it. I think it can only get better from here!

SecretLore

09-22-2014

Quote:
Cookiehime:

I would not say that the Institute is super-duper powerful or god-like. I think it was simply an organization that was created when different city-states formed a treaty or an agreement they willingly chose to abide to in order to avoid another Rune War. Since Noxus was part of the League and agreed to the treaty, they had to respect it. Which is why when Ionia won, they had withdraw their forces, else they would have breached the agreement. Breaking the pact would mean that they would no longer be part of the League and Demacia as well as the other city-states could technically wage war upon them, ally themselves to Ionia and maybe even claim Noxus as their territory; perhaps even resulting in the 6th Rune War.

At first I also thought about this,but in the end,I think that it is still a rather unstable thing to do this,I mean Zaun seems to fully support Noxus,so they would band together.Then Noxus might hire the misfits from bilgewater,creating already a 3-nation alliance against the others.
And that would already scare some nations away,I mean why would they bother defending a land that has nothing to do with them?
Why should they send their troops,leaving themselves open to attacks from others(I mean would you really trust nations like the shadow isles?)?
And then there is the fact that if so many are already involved,some might not want to increase the conflict so they don't interfere,to prevent damaging the continent even further.
Not to mention that for example freljord has a big internal conflict,if ashe sends some troops for league business,she would basically give sejuani a big "here attack me"-sign.

Scilica

09-22-2014

But people from Demacia have alliances too obviously. It's very clear that Demacia has Ionia and Piltover on their side. So it's not like Noxus is getting some huge army together and Demacia is stuck with nothing.

epicz753

09-22-2014

I love the idea!
Are you willing to join the LRP(Lore restoration Project) that I'm currently hosting?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49810391#post49810391

SecretLore

09-23-2014

Quote:
Scilica:
But people from Demacia have alliances too obviously. It's very clear that Demacia has Ionia and Piltover on their side. So it's not like Noxus is getting some huge army together and Demacia is stuck with nothing.

the problem with that is that the noxus alliance would be too big to just force them peacefully to obey the league.
I mean how could an equally strong alliance force them to follow the results of the league match?Right the only choice would be an all-out-war,which would basically negate the whole reason behind the IoW

Cookiehime

09-23-2014

@SecretLore

Freljord was not yet part of the League at that point in time, IIRC. Ashe was simply an outlier, participating in League matches to prove her strength and did not have her own city-state yet. Allying herself to Demacia and participating in the theoretical war against Noxus would indeed allow Sej to take over. So, as a wise and diplomatic ruler, she would choose not to participate in the conflict and stay neutral. Except maybe to drive away the Noxian forces that were trying to get to Freljord, but I think Demacia would gladly have given them a hand there.

And even if the pact was not respected, would Bilgewater and Zaun choose to break their affiliation with the League just to ally themselves to Noxus? If it's not worth the price, they would not participate and they'd stay neutral at best. Bilge and Zaun are rather neutral city-states, caring about their own interests above all else. That's why you'll find that most of the characters who come from those city-states are driven by their own (often selfish) desires and not by some grand ideal like Noxians or Demacians.

It also depends on how you perceive the Noxians. Would Darkwill think that breaking the pact he chose to abide to a wise choice?

And like promised, since you wish to know more about the role of the Institute and what the Summoners are trying to accomplish, I came up with some ideas below.

What is the Institute?

The whole point of IoW is to stop another Rune War. The High Councilors are the appointed leaders of the IoW. They should technically be counselling the leaders of their respective city-state about political matters.

[Since it is unclear to which faction or city-state the three High Summoners belonged to, giving them a better identity and fleshing them out as actual characters would define their role in the world. Not to mention when Ashram disappeared and Relivash got arrested, no one had stepped up to fill their shoes. Aside from Kolminye? I don't remember, but there are still two vacant spots in the Council of Equity. That can be resolved with the introduction of new characters. It would be nice to have one Councilor represent each city-state and be part of the Equity.]

Who are Summoners?

Summoners are individuals who, since the founding of the IoW, choose to be impartial in wars but only intervene when magic is abused to dangerous levels. With how I described the workings of Summoning in my first post, the Summoners' strength and mental prowess may vary. They are not gods. Only individuals who possess some form of telepathic or psychic abilities. A whole army of Summoners would, however, be a force to be reckoned with. Which would explain why Valoran leaderships still acknowledge their power.

What are the Summoners' role?

Summoners play a neutral role in Runeterra as their mission is to prevent another Rune War. To exemplify that idea, let's say Darkwill chooses to initiate an all-out war and disregards his Councilor's advice, indifferent to the magical destruction this decision would wreack on the world. How would the Summoners affiliated to Noxus react? Will they join him? If they did, it would go into direct conflict with their purpose, assuming they value the ideals of the Institute--or Summoner's Code if you wish-- more than the Noxian ideals. So, they would choose to ally themselves with Demacia even if they are their national enemies. Just as long as the Rune War is prevented, all is fair.

With that said, I think the Institute needs to be fleshed out even more than it already is. The Institute could not only train Summoners to harness and control their abilities but also teach them the Summoner's Code-- aka preserving Runeterra from the magical onslaught of another Rune War, regardless of one's affiliation to their city-state or place of birth. (Think of it a bit like the Jedi order. If that made sense)

But of course. Not all Summoners are heroes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S:

I've already thought about how to explain enemies being on the same team in normal matches. But give me some time to flesh it out. Be wary that it's going into metaphysics territory as well.

I'll also work on defining the apparent immunity champions receive once they decide to join the League (like how it is forbidden to kill one another off the FoJ). For starters, let's just say that it is a pact that champions choose to abide to when they decide to join the League and breaking it is against the rules (hi Kassadin).

We'll try defining the roles of nexi and inhibitors based on what we know.

Quote:
epicz753:
I love the idea!
Are you willing to join the LRP(Lore restoration Project) that I'm currently hosting?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49810391#post49810391

Sure. If you like my ideas, feel free to use them or refine them. I'm just an ideas person though... not a writer.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

09-23-2014

Cookiehime! Sugoi desu! B-but don't get the wrong idea.

It's not as though I'd even care if you Summoned me! B-baka.