Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malphite runes??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2inchesofpain

02-01-2011

ok wsup guys, i currently use my generic mage rune page since i'm too poor to buy specific runes for any champ: magic pen marks/quints, cooldown glyphs, mana regen seals.

i build my malphite as a tank, 0/21/9 masteries, and start out with a meki pendant and 2 potions. so far this has been working very well for me. my match history is simply orgasmic.

but i don't think a mage rune page is ideal for malphite, and since he's the first tank i've ever mained, i have no idea what runes are good for tanks. health quints seem to be the popular choice but i don't see the point as they become insiginificant after the first few levels not to mention they're expensive as balls.

any feedback is appreciated!

thanks cuties! <3

2inchesofpain

02-01-2011

BUMPP fuuuuh

Rasurii

Recruiter

02-01-2011

Just a notice, what you are about to read may not be entirely correct, but for my play style, this build has worked wonders =)

Runes
Magic Pent Red
MP/5 Yellow and Blue
HP Quints

Masteries
9/21/0, going mainly for the CDR and typical defense masteries for a tank.

Skill Order
Q,E,Q,E,Q,R .......
Generally depends on your choice, but for my build, i usually get Q first to harass the enemy, this continues until your level 8 where you will take W, and i guess priority goes like this: R,Q,E or W (I go for E so i can wreck the enemy =D)

Items
Sapphire Crystal with a blue and red potion --> Catalyst, then getting Magic pent boots and Sunfire Cape, then it entirely depends on the enemy set up. My core items are Banshee Veil, Magic Boots and Sunfire Cape.

Spells you'll go for Ignite and flash, and by the time your lvl 6, assuming you went along with maxing Q, racking in kills is an easy task.

Hope i helped =D.

2inchesofpain

02-02-2011

wow haha we have really similar playstyles. i run ghost/ignite; i go ghost instead of flash since it lets me chase/run away better, and i get chalice, thornmail, sunfire, banshee, guardian angel, abyssal scepter, the order at which i get them depends on the enemy team's composition.

but why health quints?
malphite really shouldn't have any survivability problems early game, especailly with the defense masteries.

AIM7Sparrow

02-02-2011

I am one of the original solo malphite pioneers in US Servers, taking solo mid and top with him while people called me a troll. Follow my advice.

9/0/21
Ghost/Ignite

Red: Mpen
Yellow AND Blue: Mp regen/5/lv
Quints Flat HP OR Flat AP
Starting Item: Doran's Ring OR Doran's Shield OR Boots 1 + 2 HP Pots, 1 MP Pot

The reason I have so many ors is because this new doran's rework makes it difficult to decide what to take. Before it was always flat AP quints and doran's ring. But now things might be different. Also I haven't played soloo malphite yet this patch to know for sure.

Mandius

02-02-2011

I like the rune build but I've been using magic resist blues for a while and I have a question do you feel that Malph has enough magic resist early game with out them I would love to use mp5 blues for the added mana.

Kalshazzak

02-02-2011

Mpen reds/blues/quints, and flat mana regen yellows. Sum spells like Sniper, and rush chalice. Once you get the chalice, it's easy to harass someone down to half, while still having the mana for the auto kill with ult/Q/E/ignite.

Rasurii

Recruiter

02-03-2011

Chalice IMO isnt all that great, by the time you managed to get Catalyst, you would have no mana problems at all, unless you're spamming away on ur skills like no tomorrow instead of harassing the enemy. I run with Flash, Ignite, because flash can be situational. You can go through a wall, flash forward to q an enemy for your team to catch up on and if getting dominated, you can Q an enemy and flash away, making easy escapes.

I went with Flat HP quints mainly because I mostly have HP, MPen, and Arm Pen not to mention i like to tank more dmg =DD

ZehNetoBR

02-03-2011

Rune build for Malph:

Magic penetration Marks (obviously), Armor per level Seals (boosts both your tankiness and your E damage) and CDR per level Glyphs. As for Quints...well, up to you, but I like CDR per level ones.

Summoner Skills usually are Ghost and Exhaust. I've lost the count of how many times I killed and / or survived because of this dirty little combo.

Masteries for me are 9/17/4. I build Offensive Tree until the magic pen mastery, defensive as high as I can and I use the last 4 on Haste and Perseverance (not sure about the name, but it's the one that pumps both health and mana regen).

After all, Malphite is NOT a tank. He gets tanky with the proper builds and his passive activated, but he's actually just a fighter that takes longer to be killed.