Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's Talk: Bilgewater

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OBRN

09-23-2014

I like the idea, but having just an admiral...meh?

Don't get me wrong, I think you're really hitting on needing something to tie the whole of the city state together...but we already have a pirate captain (with a ghost skin). How would playing him feel like a new experience or deviate from Gangplank's character as the scary pirate captain (vying for political standing as the pirate king)?

So let's get to the roots of Bilgewater: what are the themes surrounding it? Well, mostly it's about pirates and it's about water/aquatic and amphibious creatures. What are the stories of Bilgewater? With some of the fewest champions representing the city state (compared to other major city-states, like Demacia, Noxus, Ionia, Freljord, etc...I know there are smaller city-states, but I normally lump Bilgewater with the above) there aren't too many stories between the interactions of it's champions. There's the Gangplank/MF rivalry (that isn't much of a rivalry compared to other...Garen/Katarina, Mal/Kass, etc.) but the champs of Bilgewater keep mainly to themselves. This is kinda in keeping with the pirate theme, as what are pirates but a band of thieves bound by a common goal, loyal to only themselves and their ships, with each ship serving as it's own sovereign political entity or state. So I wouldn't want to see this aspect go, it somehow fits the theme of a pirates cove/court.

Having something to tie their stories together would go a long way to seeing maybe a few more pirates and fish out on the Fields of Justice. Maybe a Sea-King or Leviathan-like champ that threatens both the city-state and the waters of Runeterra? IDK, that sounds a lot Azir and Lissandra (Emperor-type champ, or a regional threat-champ) but I'm sure we can come up with something.

SecretLore

09-23-2014

Well an admiral could still be different from gangplank,I mean we also have a regular knight with garen and a dread knight with darius.
They could also add some other stuff to him to make him unique,its not like every character can only fill one archetype(like azir who is a sand mage and an emporer).

But yeah I think some kind of davy-jones character could be good,he is fish-like and so on,which could easily tie him to fizz,nautilus and nami,but he could also be a pirate,tying him with gangplank and mf.

HiIamaPotato

09-23-2014

I agree with the OP, Bilgewater needs some love.
I had a few Champ ideas.

1 Gangplanks first mate
He would be like a tanky support that uses an axe and cat-o-nine tails.

2 A voodoo shaman.

3 Maybe GPs dad in skeleton form wanting revenge on his son?

4 An Admiral, but someone else suggested that.

Placentas

09-23-2014

It would be interesting to see a civil war in Bilgewater. Maybe a new pirate enters the port and tries to take away GPs pirate king style.

The Red Warden

09-23-2014

How about we add an admiral champion who is trying to bring some order into the city, this could then cause a split between the citizens who want order and those who would prefer to keep the old ways(Gangplank). This could lead to some advancement in the story of it, and shed some light on its inner functions.

The admiral would try and make it a bit more peaceful and dispell the reputation that the state has accumulated. He would still be a seadog though and one you do NOT want to tick off

StormBlink

09-23-2014

GP's dad wouldn't be fitting since I remember Lore says he is proud to how bad his son is or whatever.

Anyway, I posted a champion Idea of a character, nicknamed 'Jack' because it sounds Piratish, that is somewhat a Pirate mage that uses 'Grog-o-mancy' and/or tosses Bottles of Rum at Champions. Never got far as I couldn't decide how his abilites without copying any others. Mostly thought of Lore based ones, best one being to introduce him being a Sea-Shanty dedicated to him, Singing about his odd survivals from various misfortunes like 'Eaten by a Kraken, Survived a Whirlpool, Frozen in Ice and Survived a kiss with Miss Fortune'. And he is always Credited with being 'Forever the First Mate'.

Skin Idea would be a Scurvy Dog type of thing. Bandana, Messed up hair. Give him an Eyepatch or Pegleg if you want, Along with whatever odd bips and bops you would see some free man of the sea to collects like a Sharktooth necklace or perhaps a sack of Grog bottles on his back. Skin Ideas for him could be 'Drifter', Where he is wearing tattered shipwrecked red vest, black shorts and a Straw Hat; 'Summer' With Shades, Hawaiian Shirt and Tosses bottles of 'Slushies'; And a 'Revolutionary' skin with him wearing Protesters Garments and tossing around Molotov's

And yeah, Got nothing for Abilities besides maybe the ability to auto-attack allies to heal them for small proportions of their health, An ability that makes Auto attacks on enemies stack a 'grogginess' that decreases your sight slightly with each hit for 10 seconds and each hit refreshes the 10 seconds until your view is halved or something.

Feel free to improve on it, Thats how I feel for a new champion. Just a man who throws Bottles of Grog and is well known for being a crew member and not a captain.

SecretLore

09-23-2014

Quote:
StormBlink:
GP's dad wouldn't be fitting since I remember Lore says he is proud to how bad his son is or whatever.

Anyway, I posted a champion Idea of a character, nicknamed 'Jack' because it sounds Piratish, that is somewhat a Pirate mage that uses 'Grog-o-mancy' and/or tosses Bottles of Rum at Champions. Never got far as I couldn't decide how his abilites without copying any others. Mostly thought of Lore based ones, best one being to introduce him being a Sea-Shanty dedicated to him, Singing about his odd survivals from various misfortunes like 'Eaten by a Kraken, Survived a Whirlpool, Frozen in Ice and Survived a kiss with Miss Fortune'. And he is always Credited with being 'Forever the First Mate'.

Skin Idea would be a Scurvy Dog type of thing. Bandana, Messed up hair. Give him an Eyepatch or Pegleg if you want, Along with whatever odd bips and bops you would see some free man of the sea to collects like a Sharktooth necklace or perhaps a sack of Grog bottles on his back. Skin Ideas for him could be 'Drifter', Where he is wearing tattered shipwrecked red vest, black shorts and a Straw Hat; 'Summer' With Shades, Hawaiian Shirt and Tosses bottles of 'Slushies'; And a 'Revolutionary' skin with him wearing Protesters Garments and tossing around Molotov's

And yeah, Got nothing for Abilities besides maybe the ability to auto-attack allies to heal them for small proportions of their health, An ability that makes Auto attacks on enemies stack a 'grogginess' that decreases your sight slightly with each hit for 10 seconds and each hit refreshes the 10 seconds until your view is halved or something.

Feel free to improve on it, Thats how I feel for a new champion. Just a man who throws Bottles of Grog and is well known for being a crew member and not a captain.

Well GPs dad doesn't have to be a rival of gp,they could actually be on friendly terms,because of that(or at least respect each other to some extent)

As for your idea with jack:
the problem I see with him being grog-based is that he would basically be a combination of gragas and gangplank(being a pirate and having an alcohol-based fighting style)

TerraRising

09-23-2014

Quote:
OBRN:
I like the idea, but having just an admiral...meh?

Don't get me wrong, I think you're really hitting on needing something to tie the whole of the city state together...but we already have a pirate captain (with a ghost skin). How would playing him feel like a new experience or deviate from Gangplank's character as the scary pirate captain (vying for political standing as the pirate king)?

[/QUOTE]

The reason for an Admiral was simple: Being a pirate represents freedom and anarchy while the Royal Navy represents order and discipline. MF and Gangplank may represent differing levels of freedom (anarchy vs democracy), but Blythe represents a kingdom/dictatorship.

Add a whole lot of crazy (El Capitán from Ducktales) and a dash of stubborn immortality (the guy in Mad Max 2 that keeps coming back after apparently dying) and there you have Blythe.

SchaakaKon

09-24-2014

Who do all these pirates actually pirate?

Bandle City trading ships to the Shadow Isles for exotic spices?

StormBlink

09-29-2014

Quote:
SecretLore:
Well GPs dad doesn't have to be a rival of gp,they could actually be on friendly terms,because of that(or at least respect each other to some extent)

As for your idea with jack:
the problem I see with him being grog-based is that he would basically be a combination of gragas and gangplank(being a pirate and having an alcohol-based fighting style)

So your saying that for a Bilgewater Champion, We cannot have another pirate because it is the city of pirates. And someone who uses Alcohol because someone else has it?

From what I see, Yes... I can see where you are coming from. But you got Vi who is also a Cop along with Caitlyn... So by your logic is that Vi cannot be a cop because Caitlyn is a cop. And you got like 3 ninjas...

The difference that I can put is the Gragas makes beer and he works as a Drunken Boxer/wrestler. He drinks booze, rolls a keg at enemies and punches and slams with his impressive bulk. What I suggested was someone whose abilites are all based around tossing bottles around like your crazed bf/gf who is tossing your **** out the window because you slept with someone else.

Just because he is a pirate, doesn't mean that he stealing from Gangplank. And just because he uses Bottles, Doesn't mean he is like Gragas.