Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proof that Xerath is Jafaresque evil villain now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

09-21-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:
From the perspective shown so far, Xerath was the villain of the piece. Xerath would likely disagree, he had his reasons to betray the young emperor.

Hmm...Did he also have reasons to slowly and deliberately drive Renekton insane over a century or ten?

I don't really think you can pull a Snape with this one. Even throughout the beginning of the Harry Potter series, he was mostly a dick (who even then was mostly fair and had small moments of benevolence), not a straight-up cackling villain.

Quote:
kayakninja:
As someone who likes Xerath, any hint on when we'll get to see his side of the story? His judgement/old lore, I feel, did a good job at making him seem less evil than amoral, which was really interesting.

I recall Runaan making a post after the first Shurima video came up stating that they would not show the story from Xerath's point of view.

GoldenSuns

09-21-2014

Does anyone else have a problem that we are getting the story from Nasus' point of view.

I'm just annoyed that since they have told us everything we once knew is out, when they only give us one side of the story. that is the side we have to take at face value.

When the point of the lore is to connect to the champ you might pick, buy, and play, Being in the know about who the character really is, is more important that a plot twist down the road.

and with riot's track record on this kinda stuff... who knows how load down the road that will be, but my money is on some time a few YEARS from now.

IMTOOJUICY

09-21-2014

Quote:
Philomelle:
The other issue is that the Shurima videos more or less forced their plot to happen without considering how the characters would affect it. The videos felt like they came up with events beforehand and then arranged the champions into roles approximately fitting for them in the event, rather than come up with a premise and then try to plot out how characters would handle it.

The biggest and most grating problem there is Sivir, whose behavior in the Shurima videos is nothing like how she behaves in the game. The result is that her narrative identity is completely confused (is she a hardcore mercenary who goes wherever the profit takes her? a gentle leader who breaks down when she sees her men die and hastily allies herself with the first thing to offer her help? which is it?), so I imagine she'll actually become less popular because people who'll pick her up because of videos, will quickly drop her once they realize she's nothing like the videos portray her.

The promise in the post about retconning the Institute out of existence was that with it gone, the narrative team will be able to write more character-driven stories that would have been impossible to tell otherwise. Not only is the Shurima event possible to tell with the Institute in place (in fact, the Ascension game mode would have made more sense that way), but the characters in it are treated as soulless props that could have been easily replaced by anyone else who fit the basic parameters required by the role.

I don't know Riot's creative process behind the scenes, so I'm not going to put forth any guesses of my own as to how they went about with the Shurima event. I do agree that the videos portrayed the legendary mercenary Sivir in a very, uh, non-legendary manner. The brevity of the video and lack of followup come into play here, though. The video informs us that Sivir is a legendary mercenary, but doesn't take the time to show us why. Perhaps if there were a judgment, or short story, or anything showing us one of Sivir's previous feats, we would be able to better envision her as the badass that she's supposed to be. Riot surely has things in mind as to what makes her badass, but they haven't shown us yet. This is what fueled my initial complaint about lack of content. I mean, when new Trundle came out, few Trundle fans agreed with the direction Riot took with him, but at least his new bio/lore gave us some details and insight into this new character. Compare that to this Shurima event, where the details are much less forthcoming for the revamped champs.

Character interpretation can be a subjective process (like, what truly constitutes a champ's core values, etc etc). I don't really fault Riot for taking their characters whatever direction they want, even though I may disagree with some of the decisions. I do fault Riot for not giving us a more thorough portrayal of the revamped Shurima champs, though.

I'm pretty sure this Shurima event is part of Riot's ongoing experiment to get more people interested in the lore. They have access to web traffic stats; they must surely know how many hits/visitors their lore pages, both old and new lore, were getting. Maybe the numbers were depressingly low during the wall-o-text days, thus this current trend of shifting from text to visuals. Just guessing on my part.

Renekton Bot

09-21-2014

Shurima.png

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-21-2014

Quote:
Renekton Bot:

Renekton Bot delivers, close the forums, we're done here.

Renekton Bot

09-21-2014

Quote:
LordHippoman:
Renekton Bot delivers, close the forums, we're done here.

The picture was realized fully thanks to the tireless efforts of TheMoonAcolyte. Just wanted to throw that part out there.

Gentleman Gaston

09-21-2014

I think a fair response from Riot would be an answer to whether we're going to see the Shurima event in a larger sense with the characters fleshed out more than in the video, which served as a great introduction/summary for the Shurima story, or are we going to be moving on to something else. Not so much a time frame, but rather are the done or not at this particular instance for this particular event.

Quote:
Renekton Bot:

And that's our show ladies and gentlemen! It's been a real pleasure, see you all next time!

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

09-22-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:
From the perspective shown so far, Xerath was the villain of the piece. Xerath would likely disagree, he had his reasons to betray the young emperor.

Can someone from Riot PLEASE explain Xerath's point of view then? The event is almost over and everyone will calm down when everything is revealed.

Or is this another one of those "Don't worry guys, everything will be OK! " posts from a Rioter?

Renn22

09-26-2014

Quote:
IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c:
According to Robolions:

"In the Shurima lore Xerath is the bad guy that betrays his emperor and tries to install himself as leader of Shurima. Not cool, let's get him!"

Why do you lie to us Runaan?

I wanted to know why Xerath wanted to betray the emperor? I had a theory that maybe Xerath was seeking ascension though the Shuriman sun disk. Also is Azir majical because sivir's blood revived Shurima

AfroSmileyFace

10-01-2014

I liked it better in the original cuz Xerath's desire was only to study and learn more of the arcane, to further himself. Eventually he had to transcend his mortal form, but his power was too much and the people sealed him. He doesn't even seek vengeance against the world, merely to be free. Now hes kind of a power hungry, ******* traitor, not quite as original.