Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proof that Xerath is Jafaresque evil villain now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gentleman Gaston

09-20-2014

Here's the thing; Jafar is power hungry, yes, but he's evil in a gleeful and maniacal way. He loves being evil. He makes being evil fun.

Xerath is just power hungry in that power is his desire, but he doesn't seem to care much about being evil for evil's sake. Sure, they were both advisers that fooled their leaders, but that's a common trope across a multitude of stories, not just Aladin. I don't really get this comparison, to be honest.

Stofen

09-20-2014

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:
Here's the thing; Jafar is power hungry, yes, but he's evil in a gleeful and maniacal way. He loves being evil. He makes being evil fun.

Xerath is just power hungry in that power is his desire, but he doesn't seem to care much about being evil for evil's sake. Sure, they were both advisers that fooled their leaders, but that's a common trope across a multitude of stories, not just Aladin. I don't really get this comparison, to be honest.

Well there is the desert theme and the whole gaining power that forsakes your humanity(Jafar turning into a genie).

Sharjo

09-20-2014

Quote:
Stofen:
Well there is the desert theme and the whole gaining power that forsakes your humanity(Jafar turning into a genie).

Jafar was tricked in to becoming an all powerful genie though, where as Xerath plotted and schemed to become an Ascended. Plus Jafar was just naturally evil, where as New Xerath's motivations haven't been revealed yet.

Jaredan

Senior Editor

09-20-2014

Quote:
IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c:
According to Robolions:

"In the Shurima lore Xerath is the bad guy that betrays his emperor and tries to install himself as leader of Shurima. Not cool, let's get him!"

Why do you lie to us Runaan?

From the perspective shown so far, Xerath was the villain of the piece. Xerath would likely disagree, he had his reasons to betray the young emperor.

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-20-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:
From the perspective shown so far, Xerath was the villain of the piece. Xerath would likely disagree, he had his reasons to betray the young emperor.

I think it would go really far towards this discussion if we knew what those reasons were, though.

If it's like "Azir killed my family, what an *******" maybe you could make the argument that Xerath isn't really a villain. But if it's just "lol, gonna drink up that ascension mana like a juicy juice", he's firmly in Brand and Cho's category.

kayakninja

09-20-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:

As someone who likes Xerath, any hint on when we'll get to see his side of the story? His judgement/old lore, I feel, did a good job at making him seem less evil than amoral, which was really interesting.

Azmodeus

09-20-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:

That sounds interesting, let's never pursue that storyline.

Sharjo

09-20-2014

Quote:
LordHippoman:
I think it would go really far towards this discussion if we knew what those reasons were, though.

If it's like "Azir killed my family, what an *******" maybe you could make the argument that Xerath isn't really a villain. But if it's just "lol, gonna drink up that ascension mana like a juicy juice", he's firmly in Brand and Cho's category.

This may come across as me being an arse, so I'm sorry if that's the case and I'll try and word this in a way that's to the contrary. Knowing the villain's reasons is one of the biggest questions of ANY story with a bad guy. Finding out the reasons why is usually an integral part of the story, and it's not really something you just unload when you kick things off. At least, as far as I'm aware that's what happens most of the time with villainous motivation. The reasons behind Xerath's betrayal of his people, his Emperor, and everything he knew in life are too juicy to not deserve their own part of the story, as it develops.

Basically, stories progress. Discovering villain motivation, providing their is a villain, is usually part of said progression. We just started Shurima's "saga" so to speak, so it's gonna be a while coming, especially considering Riot's unfortunate track record with progressing stories. =(

I do hope that didn't come across as me being an arse, if it did, again sorry, don't wanna step on toes and stuff. =(

PhoenixSlayer13

09-20-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:

When are we going to get to know these reasons? Do they tie back to his now-defunct League judgement?

TerraRising

09-20-2014

Quote:
Jaredan:

1) You deserve come credit for posting here the few times you have. Hopefully, you can let Narrative know that, while most of us are highly critical and waiting to be disappointed, we can be civil at times.

2) This is one of the myriad of problems with Riot's storytelling style. They make grand expositions, but they never deliver a resolution or tell the complete story. Chances are, we'll never get to know it because Narrative won't release it in a timely manner. This is one of a number of problems we have with the Lore.