Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Grinder, The Mechanized Mercenary

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LDAPheonix

09-18-2014

Once a lonely orphan on the streets of Piltover, Grinder struggled to eek out a living, often having to resort to violence against his fellow street rat in acquiring sustenance or shelter. Eventually, Grinder managed to find a patch of alley that was unclaimed and take it for himself. It just so happened that this little hidey hole was right by the Yordle Academy of Science and Progress. Grinder found himself able to overhear the excited learning and feverish tinkering going on within the walls of the building found that he had a craving for knowledge. he immediately began gathering all the scrap he could, which was abundant being so close to the academy, and began to create a plethora of little gizmos and whirly gigs. A couple days later, Grinder realized he was being watched a looked up from his work to find The Revered Inventor himself watching him. Recognizing his talent, Heimerdinger took him into the Academy. Sometime later Grinder and a number of other freshly graduated students were in Bandle City when a small yordle named Rumble appeared. Words were said and the human graduates proceeded to beat Rumble, leaving him bloodied on ground. When Grinder and his friends returned to the Academy, Heimerdinger threw them out, claiming that people who gang up on and beat bloody another person for no reason were not the kind of people that the Academy wanted. Without a word Grinder took his tool kit and left, finding a Garage to work in and a job as a mercenary to provide income. Now Grinder comes to the League astride "Lucy" his prized mech, looking to finish what he started, seek revenge on his former master, and make a little money while he's at it.

Stats:

Health: 400(+80 per level)
Fuel: 100(+10 per level)
Attack Damage: 42.5(+2.75 per level)
Attack Speed: 0.65(+1.5% per level)
Attack Range: 550
Movement Speed: 320
Health Regen: 4.5(+.50 per level)
Armor: 12(+2.5 per level)
Magic Resist: 30(+0 per level)

Abilities:

Passive: Grinder uses Fuel to power his mechsuits. While in a mechsuit, Fuel is consumed at a rate of 2 Fuel per second. Also, Grinders mechsuits Cost him no Fuel to cast initially, however use of the mechsuits active abilities cost Grinder 5/6/7/8/9 Fuel respectively with rank of the skill. Whenever Grinder kills a minion or neutral monster he gains 2 Fuel, he also gains 50% of max Fuel when he kills a champion and 10% of max Fuel upon assist. Also while not in a mechsuit or mech, Grinder regens 1 Fuel per second. Also Grinder can leave his mechsuits or mech at anytime by alt-casting (like how you tell Mordekaiser's ghost to move except i.e. alt+Q) his current suit, or selecting a different suit. Finally each of his mechsuits (not "Lucy&quot have a 30 second cooldown.

Q: Assault Mechsuit/Antipersonnel Round
Range: Self/1100
Grinder calls forth his Assault Mechsuit, wrapping his arms in an exoskeleton and trading his Pistol for his Rail Rifle.
Passive: Increased basic attack damage(+10%/20%/30%/40%/50%)base Attack Damage and increased Attack Range by 15%
Active: Straight line skill-shot that pierces all enemies dealing 70% of his total Attack Damage and also bleeding champions for 3%/4%/5%/6%/7% of their max health(physical damage)(8 second cooldown).

W: Scout Mechsuit/Leap
Range: Self/550
Grinder calls for his Scout Mechsuit, sheathing his legs in light exoskeleton granting him increased mobility and leg strength.
Passive: Increased Movement Speed (10%/12%/15%/17%/20%)
Active: Grinder leaps to a target area, slowing enemies in a small area around him (slows by 15% for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds)(13 second cooldown)

E: Siege Mechsuit/Artillery
Range: Self/1000
Grinder calls forth his Siege Mechsuit, Encasing his back in a heavy exoskeleton giving him the use of a hextech siege cannon and increasing his defenses.
Passive: Increased Armor(+5/10/15/20/25), Magic Resist(+5/10/15/20/25), and lower Movement Speed(-20%)
Active: Grinder roots himself(.5 seconds) and fires a round from his siege cannon, dealing a concussive blow to enemies within the small blast radius slowing them (-10% Movement Speed)(1/1.2/1.5/1.7/2 seconds) and damaging them for (60/80/100/120/140)(magic damage)(+50% Ability Power)(1.5 second cooldown)

R: "Lucy"/Lucy's Revenge
Range: Self/1000
Grinder airdrops his prize mech "Lucy" onto the Fields of Justice, climbing into the cockpit as soon as "she" lands.
Passive: "Lucy" gives Grinder the passives(besides the reduced Movement Speed) and the actives(mapped to their respective Mechsuits) of his mechsuits. Unlike the Mechsuits, "Lucy" is a full Mech, "she" is bigger and requires 5 Fuel per second to wield. "Lucy" also doesn't need to root to fire the siege cannon. Additionally, "Lucy" cant be ejected from until Fuel is depleted or you die.
Active: "Lucy" punches an enemy champion dealing (100/200/300)(physical damage)(+100% Total Attack Damage), that champion is launched in a straight line from the direction "Lucy" was facing when she struck. If that champion strikes any terrain while still being launched they take additional damage equal to 50% of Grinders Ability Power as magic damage. Once the enemy champion stops moving, "Lucy" leaps onto the champion, stunning them for 1.5/2/2.5 seconds.

Quotes:
When selected from Champion Selection:
This had better be worth it.
General movement:
This would be faster if I had my legs you know.
Marching everywhere is for the military not a mercenary.
I'm on it.
Ain't got time for waiting around.
Move it move it!
I'm on the way.
Jokes:
You know what really grinds my gears?
I hope they're wearing their brown pants.
Taunts:
I'll show you the true meaning of mechanical might.
You ain't got the skills to beat me.

I don't have any artwork, but I pictured Grinder as mildly brawny with a Tom Celic-esque 'Stache and military type haircut. His suits are all barebone exoskeletons almost like the suits from The Edge of Tomorrow, while "Lucy" I pictured almost like the loader Ripley uses to fight the Queen in Aliens. Anywho there it is, hope yall like it!

Hograhn

09-18-2014

this is awesome,great job feels really balanced and would be a knew gnar esque mix to rumble and seems like the kind of thing league is doing now, they are doing themed champs, all around one specialty, this fits that so well gj.

LDAPheonix

09-19-2014

Thanks man, The hardest part was thinking of a way to make it so that moving from one mechsuit to the next was fluid, I wasn't sure it was even possible at all really. The balancing was the best part, some friends and I tossed some numbers around and found some stuff we thought worked, giving him all sorts of playabilty and building styles for late game development.

junglerboy16

09-19-2014

This is a really cool idea! I love how he calls in airdrops into the fight, it sounds SOOO COOOL! I also really like how each suit has a specific value in a fight. The way that you manage your resource and how it also determines when you have to leave a suit makes it have a cool strategy feel to it. Keep it up!

P.S. the numbers for his siege turret feel a little weak. The name "siege mechsuit" makes you think of something immobile (got that part down well, gj!) but SUPER POWERFUL, as in blow you to pieces in two shots powerful. Just my thoughts. Also, the slow for his W seems a little weak for not dealing damage.

LDAPheonix

09-20-2014

Quote:
junglerboy16:
P.S. the numbers for his siege turret feel a little weak. The name "siege mechsuit" makes you think of something immobile (got that part down well, gj!) but SUPER POWERFUL, as in blow you to pieces in two shots powerful. Just my thoughts. Also, the slow for his W seems a little weak for not dealing damage.

The idea for the turret was to be able to scale well into late game while not being oppressive too early, that's where the AP ratio comes into play for some wishing to build as more of a ranged caster. Elsewise Grinder could be really abusive to any lane opponent. as for the W it was mostly intended to be an escape ability, or one for closing distance on a retreating foe. If it were to have damage I feel it might be OP considering it also has the slow. I appreciate the input though, its always good to get multiple points of view on any subject.

SolsticeEVE

Recruiter

10-05-2014

Feels like a rumble themed udyr from the evolution boom period of gnar.