Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Skins that radically change the way abilities look. and why that's a bad thing.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gløry

09-16-2014

The biggest offenders here are Lux's Steel Legion skin and the Ghost Bride Morgana skin...

With Steel Legion Lux, the Q is really hard to see and the width on the ultimate is really hard to judge.

With Ghost Bride Morgana, her Q doesn't look like a morgana Q. I for real had no idea what I had been hit with when I came down from top lane and joined a team fight. It looked like the little ghosties from that one activated item.

This is a problem. You get used to seeing what the characters' abilities look like, and you rely on that. When a skin fundamentally changes the shape of a skill, or makes all see-through (remember iBlitzcrank?), that amount of change is a pretty big advantage versus people who are unfamiliar with the skin.

The color change is bad enough (my brain is wired to know morgana + purple orb thing = bad; morgana + teal ghost thing doesnt trigger as many warnings), but I'm willing to let that go because skins are cool. But forcing me to go up against a character who is using a skin that completely repackages and switches around all the colors and outlines of the things I *need* to be on the watch for, is B.S.

Can we have the option to disable the viewing of certain skins? I'd disable Steel Legion Lux and Ghost Bride Morgana from appearing on my screen.

Minamimoto Sho

09-16-2014

I'd like to disable yasuo and fizz from appearing on my screen, but we don't always get what we want.

Gløry

09-16-2014

Quote:
Bikdark:
I'd like to disable yasuo and fizz from appearing on my screen, but we don't always get what we want.

I mean, that's pretty funny, but that's obviously different from what I'm advocating.

Voba

09-16-2014

Point invalid. Ggwp

Muinteoir

09-16-2014

Quote:
Bikdark:

That's actually really easy. There's this new concept called banning.

FrozenXylaphone

09-16-2014

you can actually edit the skin files so you see the classic skin when they use these skins

Gløry

09-16-2014

Is this condoned by Riot?

Also while that's a good fix, I think Riot should re-examine its philosophy in this regard. The way moves look is a certain visual language. It needs to communicate what the moves do and where they are dangerous. Having a skin that you will see like 5% of the time go and totally speak a different language is a bad philosophy.

Gløry

09-16-2014

bump

Gløry

09-16-2014

bump

The One Who Nocs

09-16-2014

What's really bad is underworld Twisted Fate on Howling Abyss. His Q is pretty much invisible