A Ranged Tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kadis

02-01-2011

My main question here is, Can a ranged tank be created? and if so How?

I know just the title sounds contradictory. I am not starting this thread to discuss how impossible it would be to create a ranged tank, I want to talk about creating a ranged tank so please only add constructive criticism where it is seen. If you see a problem, talk about how to fix it.

First I want to explain what went through my head when I envisioned a ranged tank. A ranged tank would definitely need to be capable of support mechanics that would allow him to help the team while also being able to engage an enemy one on one.

The attack range of a ranged tank would not be that far, because if it was a far range such as kogmaw the hero would probably not be focused at all and not fulfill its role. When I say ranged tank, Im thinking of a hero with a small normal attack radius. Just enough so early on in the game the hero will be able to last hit minions without getting destroyed the entire time by an actual ranged hero.

So the first move I considered when I thought about the mechanics that a ranged tank would need in order to be successful I thought straight to Death Knights from WoW. The move death grip, or something similar to it, would be a great move for pulling enemies off of allies which would be the main focus of a ranged tank. The move would have a similar radius to the attack radius it has so that the tank will need to be in the fray of the fight in order to cast it. This moves purpose is solely going to be pulling an enemy off of your carry.

To create a combination with the move mentioned above, the ranged tank would need some form of a slow. Either a passive on hit slow, or an activated target slow I feel would be the best for this situation because in theory the tank would pull off the enemy and then slow him so the carry hero can either escape or get the time for his moves to come off cooldown and then re engage.

Another move that I feel a ranged tank would need, would be some form of an AOE that will either improve your allies when cast (maybe something that would increase attack damage) or an AOE move that would reduce attack speed of enemies. The effects would only last for the duration of a team fight and this move would be solely focused on improving the value of the ranged tank in end game team fights.

Now here is where I'm stuck. What should an ultimate or a passive be for a ranged tank? Seeing that the moves I mapped out focused on supporting the team, would a passive or ultimate that improves the stats of the hero be too overpowered? Such as mundos regen, or olafs not being able to be disable. In my mind, I see an ultimate like avatar, something that increases his health and armor being necessary to tank the amount of damage this tank will get, but I feel that a character with all these moves combined might be a bit overpowered.

And as for a passive I would feel it would have to go hand in hand with the character. A ranged tank might need regen, maybe increased armor with lower health.

As for character design, I went over the thought of a snake that spits poison. I thought of an elephant using its nose for the grab. Also, I thought of a skorpian using its tail for the grabs.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Hopefully people will enjoy the discussion enough and with enough attention to it maybe just maybe riot will make me a ranged tank I will always play as.

2fknEZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2011

last time i checked Vlad was marked as a tank. he is ranged,.. so in conclusion you just wasted all that time typing out a whole "essay" that no one is gonna read. i know i for sure didnt.

KatieRockzzz

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fknEZ View Post
last time i checked Vlad was marked as a tank. he is ranged,.. so in conclusion you just wasted all that time typing out a whole "essay" that no one is gonna read. i know i for sure didnt.
He didn't waste his time typing out an essay.he posted this to find a response of there being a "Ranged Tank" and you gave him a response by saying there is one, Vlad therefore his question, not completely pointless but answered.

By the way, i actually read his little essay(after 6 months of him posting >.>) so your little insult has been rendered pointless.Good Job.

~FAIL TROLL IS FAIL

VoidBro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRockzzz View Post
He didn't waste his time typing out an essay.he posted this to find a response of there being a "Ranged Tank" and you gave him a response by saying there is one, Vlad therefore his question, not completely pointless but answered.

By the way, i actually read his little essay(after 6 months of him posting >.>) so your little insult has been rendered pointless.Good Job.

~FAIL TROLL IS FAIL
I didnt read his essay coz it was too long.
FAIL WHITE KNIGHT IS FAIL

I NETRO I

08-19-2011

Galio is a ranged tank.
Well not auto attacks but 2 of his abilities are.

I NETRO I

08-19-2011

Galio can solo lane and not be destroyed by ranged carries, His Q is a skill shot that will slow. His E is another skill shot that damages enemies in a line and speeds up allies running through. His ultimate is similar to amummus. His normal attacks are not ranged but within getting lvl5 you can clear minion waves very fast. As much of a ranged tank i ever seen in this game.

I NETRO I

08-19-2011

Vlad doesn't really fit a tank roll. He has a slow which takes to much of his life and his ult which increases damage done to people. as far as doing tank things like grabbing someone running away or disrupting teams heavily in a fight he falls very short.

Giltia Zero

08-19-2011

Not particularly. There is ONE ranged tank in HoN. He's not so much a tank.

He's tanky DPS.

That's the thing. Any ranged tank would inevitably become tanky DPS with a lot of CC. LoL being scrubby babby tier handholding, it would fall under the "so OP plz nerf" category of QQ.

NinjaGypsy Kitty

08-19-2011

Why would you want ranged tank? Tank's primary role is to be the front line, be disruptive and absorb some damage to protect squishy carries in the back. Having a ranged tank pretty much defeats the purpose of being at the center of the fight, why would the enemy team bothers to care about you when they can get close to the carries so easily?

This seems like a personal psychological issue that you have, being afraid to engage in combat because the fear of enemy ranged champions harassing you. With your stated logic, this game should just change all melee champions to ranged.

There are tanks that have ranged abilities such as Galio and Maokai. Maybe you should give them a try.

Bilun

08-19-2011

If it happened it would have to be a very small range- maybe 400-450. Being beefy is an advantage which is generally off-set by lack of range. Moreover why is this even necessary? a tank should be on the front lines regardless(to zone enemies away from his squishies and take hits). The chief advantage would be an unbelievable laning phase(both beefy and possessed of range and if it's an effective tank, lots of CC to boot). And frankly most tanks already have extremely strong laning phases.