Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Can somebody explain how this works?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

its BoboLove

09-15-2014

Group stages, promotions, leagues, playoffs... To tell you the least, I dont get it. I understand that there are leagues. Like NA LCS and LCS and OGN Champpions Korea and few more and they have to go thru some group stages to come to Worlds?

But how do they end up in group stages in the first place? Who picks the teams? Can every team try out for group stages? How do group stages work? Who goes on from group stages?

Im very very confused and I cant get this to fit. Can somebody please explain this in a "for dummies" way to me? As simple as possible. Or link to somewhere where they explain it in detail. Thank you.

iCame2Dig

09-15-2014

Hey Bobo, its okay that you dont understand this but I can sort of explain it to you.

NA and EU LCS are kind of identical. 8 teams (soon to be 10) play every Saturday and Sunday for NA and Thursday and Friday for EU in a summer and spring season each year. The first LCS started from a series of multiple qualifiers, kind of too much to explain. Later gave birth to the CS (Challenger Series) which made bottom tier LCS teams fight for their spot back into the LCS. Each team has to play every other team exactly four times. At the end of the summer season, playoffs begin. The top two teams get "seeded" straight into semifinals of playoffs The bottom two teams have to go into a different tournament later against the top challenger teams (they also have their own kind of mini-LCS) to fight for their spot back. The remaining teams play in the quarterfinals and then to the semifinals where the top two teams are and then fight for 1st place. The top three teams get into World Championships. It is a little bit more complicated from there.

OGN Korea has a different layout. I can't really explain it but I hope that someone else can.

codypwnzyou

09-16-2014

OGN Korea is very different, and is the primary, but not only method of earning points towards locking in a spot in the playoffs to earn a ticket to worlds. In Korea, there are three types of tournaments. There is a Masters tournament, NLB tournaments, and OGN tournaments.

Matsers tournaments are for organizations and consist of only best of three matches, in which the first game and second game of the series are played with the two teams that the organization has, with the third game having rosters with players from both teams. This is the most complicated of the 3 tournaments, and doesnt yeild any points, only prestige

OGN and NLB are linked together, so it is best to explain them both at the same time. In OGN, only 16 teams compete. However, the top 32 teams in Korea may play in NLB. Seeds 17-32 (based on team LP/previous ranking) are automatically placed into NLB and are divided into 4 groups, with each group only sending one team to the next round. The top 16 teams in Korea play in OGN, in which they are randomly divided into 4 groups of 4, with the top 2 teams in each group going to the bracket, and the bottom two going into NLB. Now, here is where it gets even more confusing. in each OGN group, there is a third and fourth place team that got sent to NLB. In NLB, there are 4 teams that made it to the next stage. The 4 teams from the round of 16 play the 4th place teams from the group, and then the victor of that match plays a 3rd place team from an OGN group. After this, you are left with 4 teams that move on to the NLB bracket. In the OGN bracket, there are eight teams that remain. After the first round, the 4 teams that were eliminated get sent to NLB, where they enter the NLB bracket with the other 4 teams discussed earlier. After this stage, no more teams are sent to NLB (reason why will be discussed in the points section) and each bracket is played out to determine a victor. OGN tournament yeilds a lot of points, and NLB yeilds few, but more than the Masters tournament. You will hear Gold division, Platinum division, and Diamond division when talking about NLB. Gold division is the bottom 17-32, Platinum is the next stage, and Diamond is when the bracket is finally filled. As if this wasn't complicated enough, there are three separate tournaments, all of the same style (Winter, Spring, Summer) per year.

Points: For participating in a tournament, a team earns circut points. For getting a good position, a team earns a lot of points (obviously the better the position, the better the point reward). 1st Place in NLB yeilds 75pts, 2nd yeilds 60 pts, 3rd yeilds 50 pts, and 4th yeilds 40 pts. 1st place in OGN yeilds 400pts, 2nd yeilds 225 pts, 3rd yeilds 150 pts, and 4th yeilds 100 pts thus making 4th place in OGN worth more pts than 1st place in NLB (which is why after the first bracket stage, no one gets placed into NLB). After all 3 seasons of OGN/NLB are concluded, the top 2 teams get an automatic ticket to worlds, and the 3rd-6th place teams fight for the final ticket. Hope this helped explain how things happen in Korea, and if youre interested in competing in a tournament yourself, head on over to http://www.amateurleaguetourneys.com (http://www.amateurleaguetourneys.com) and sign up for a 5v5 tournament that I am hosting. Thanks!