Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New Player Asking for Guidance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BiggBoyWhite

09-10-2014

Hey all,

I recently was convinced by my cousin to delve in to the dark hole that is League of Legends. He created a smurf account to play with me and teach me this game. I'm currently level 9 at the moment. I'm a full time college student and work part time. That coupled with other aspects of my life have left me only finding time to play a game or two with my cousin only once or twice a week.

I've found that when I play without him and have to make decisions completely on my own (he typically constantly coaches me throughout the game) I perform much worse than I do with him coaching me.

My three biggest struggles are map awareness, knowing when to leave my lane and help out a teammate, and CS. I feel most comfortable playing top lane, but I have had some success playing mid here and there.

Is there any advice that you guys can give me to get better? I really enjoy playing this game, and while I never get frustrated by people raging at me, its more fun to win a good game and have a good score (basically more kills than deaths at this point in my LoL experience) than to be utterly terrible and have some pre-pubescent kid tell me I'm a nub who should kill himself and he did dirty things to my mother.

Other notes:

I typically have the most success with Jax top and Rhyze mid, but I also have unlocked Annie, Ashe, Teemo, Warwick, Master Yi, and Garen. I would like to get a feel for other roles and improve my skill there as well.

I was told it would be a good idea to not invest in other champions and save up my IP for when I'm level 30 and can buy runes. Is this good advice?

Thanks for any help you can give!

MorikTheMad

09-10-2014

For map awareness, try this: Count minion deaths (of your own minions) in your lane. Every 2 minions that die, look down at the map briefly.
Things you are looking for:
- Are all enemies in their appropriate lanes? (If you are playing top and you don't see mid in the lane, note that and play a bit more cautiously; if you note that they still aren't in lane the next time you check, play VERY cautiously--they may be coming to gank you.)
- Is the enemy jungler visible? (If he is, and is far from you, you can play more aggressively since you know he isn't able to gank you anytime soon.)
- Do you have decent ward coverage in the areas around you? If not, consider buying and placing some wards.

Warding:
- This is important; if you and your team know where enemies are, then you can make more informed decisions.
- If you are playing far forward in top lane, try to keep river warded near baron. So long as you are looking at the map frequently, you should have enough advanced notice of the jungler coming to be able to back away safely.
- If you are being kept near your tower in top lane, ward the tribrush. (Even if you are on the blue side.)
- Consider putting a pink ward in your tribrush anyway, even if you aren't being kept back. It will last a while hopefully, and if not, at least it will give you some decent warning if the enemy jungler is moving to gank you around through tri-brush.
- If they do come through tribrush to gank you and you are far forward, consider running through river instead of running back right into them.

CS:
One way to think about it is like this:
- Did you miss due to a mechanical mistake? (You tried to attack it, did attack it, but either didn't do enough dmg and it died before your next attack was ready, or it died before your attack hit it.) If so, you can work on that in a custom game, though it can be a bit boring... set up a custom game by yourself with no bots and just work on last hitting without using any abilities. Try to get 90 by 10 minutes. Your first few tries you'll probably get in the 50s or 60s; that is ok, with a bit more practice you'll get more.

- If you missed for any other reason (you were back at base, you were fighting your opponent, etc): Think to yourself whether whatever you were doing was worth that gold. E.g., if you got in a skirmish with your opponent and missed 3 CS during it, ask yourself whether that skirmish was worth 60 gold. (Did you make him have to go back to base, while you have enough health or regen to stay in lane? If so it was probably worth it... If it was an even trade then it wasn't really worth it; you lost 60 gold.)

What if the jungler ganked you and you died? Well, that is a lot of gold lost. Was it worth it? Maybe you could have spent 75 gold on a ward, not taken any damage on the gank cause you saw it coming ahead of time and went to your tower? Maybe then instead of 12-24 CS you lose only 6. Add in the cost of the ward and it is like 9-10 (assuming 6 minions die while you retreat and wait at your tower for jungler to leave, and 3-4 minions to buy the ward). 9-10 lost is better than 12-24. (6 minions per wave, 7 every 3rd wave (cannon)--it usually takes at least a minute to get back to lane from base, sometimes longer. Also if they push the minions to your tower while you are gone you will lose more.)

Anyway, hope that was a bit helpful .

PS: Yes save your IP til you are lvl 20 and can buy tier 3 runes. Then work on getting 2 full pages (one at a time):
- AD marks, flat armor seals, flat MR glyphs, and AD quints.
- MPen marks, flat armor seals, flat MR glyphs, and AP quints.

Alternatively, if you want to get more champions instead of more runes faster:
- Hybrid penetration marks, flat armor seals, flat MR glyphs, hybrid penetration quints (or movespeed quints).

While not as effective as the more focused pages, it would be good enough while you spend IP on champions.

BiggBoyWhite

09-10-2014

Thanks so much! I'll start buying wards now.

Mcbooze

09-10-2014

my recommendation is a little different - i suggest you learn jungling. you are still a little fresh and im sure a lot of games dont even have a jungler, but by level 20 and w/ runes more and more games will start to include them.

reason i suggest this is b/c it will force teach you two very necessary things that are harder to learn in lanes - map awareness and skills fighting other champs. map awareness is really just scanning your mini map and seeing who/what/where there is someone weak for a kill, or someone coming to kill you. this is all a jungler does really. and a weak player isn't just someone low on hp, but can be over extended or even be a fragile champ pushed heavy to his tower.

and fighting champs - you'd think you'd learn this in lane, but that isn't really what i'm referencing. laning has a lot of variables that can be overwhelming and slow for a new player to learn, like last hitting, harassing and watching for jungler ganks. jungling is going for actual kills, not just harassing to set up kills. it will teach you the killer instinct you need that will translate well into other roles.

i say this mainly from my own experience. i came into this game w/ a lot of dota experience, thinking i was a badass. i played mostly mid and i never got farther than silver 1. so i took on jungling and i went so fast to plat i couldn't really even believe it. and not b/c it's easier but b/c it taught me the skills i needed to really win games, not just win lanes or beat people 1v1.

MorikTheMad

09-10-2014

To add another opinion: I would not try to learn jungling at this point, for several reasons:
1) The early game for junglers changes significantly with tier 3 runes. It is significantly harder with most junglers without the runes. (To the point where with runes, you finish your first clear at 3/4 or full health and can go gank, while without runes you may not even be able to finish your first clear.)

2) It won't teach you anything about:
- CSing properly
- Laning decision-making--there are lots of things you learn when playing in a lane.
- Lane matchups--after a while playing in a lane you'll start to learn things like "When I'm playing champion X, I really can't let my opponent fight me for very long; I will always lose. Once I hit lvl 9 and have some items I can fight htem." Etc.

Anyway, I would concentrate on learning to lane well first, and then learn jungle once you have tier 3 runes. (Many AD junglers can run that AD page I suggested.)

Also, one more thing. Its a little more advanced, but can really help you win your lane.
While you are keeping an eye on your minions to count deaths (btw, you could also just count enemy minions... but just one side or the other should be sufficient), keep an eye on their health too. Try to anticipate when your opponent is going to try to last hit them. When they do so, try to be in position to attack them (just 1 hit). Then back off. They have the choice of either hitting you and losing the 20 gold, or hitting the minion and losing some health.
Only do this when you don't need to be hitting a minion yourself for gold.
When your minions are at high health, stay back from the front line unless last hitting.
When your minions are at lower health, you can move up closer to the front.

EwokSoldier

Recruiter

09-10-2014

Hey if you want checkout my thread below feel free and you can ask me any questions you like. I even give free 1 on 1 lessons and stuff. I am a full time college student as well so I know the struggle hope i hear from you and can help you out

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4695962

Mcbooze

09-10-2014

learning to lane doesn't teach you anything about map awareness, and typically people who first get level 30 struggle immensely b/c they played those first 30 levels like...a sub level 30.

then it even takes many people dozens, if not hundreds, of games before they develop any kind of map awareness just by laning.

take my advice, learn to jungle. yea, some people look very black and white at "oh you don't have the runes for it" - yea you don't. that's why you jungle w/ champs like nunu and master yi b/c they dont need runes, at all. or even masteries.

so option is yours - level to 30 in lanes and probably not learn much, or start learning jungle and jump into level 30 not being completely horrible.

another point - laning is entirely different w/o runes/masteries too. last hitting is completely different as your damage is completely off, so you really aren't learning much by way of CSing. it also drastically changes harass, mana conservation, and your sustain in a lane. and quite the contrary, nunu can tear through the jungle without anything. he'll be slightly off in first 3 levels, but after you take your first two golem camps he just rolls straight through. so you are handicapped regardless of what you do, so you may as well start now learning a role that will give you a better perspective of winning games than just trudging through lanes and pretty much not knowing anything.

b/c little hint - winning lanes means very little. in fact, nothing. winning games depends on map awareness and knowing when to take objectives like the towers, dragon, baron and inhibs. laning in and of itself does not teach a new person anything about this - jungling does b/c that's all you are there for. roaming the map, looking for opportunities and taking them.

BiggBoyWhite

09-11-2014

Thanks so much guys! All of your input has really helped. I can't wait to try out what I've read in game sometime in the next couple of days.

Melvear

09-11-2014

Here are some tidbits to add to what was already said:

1- Regarding helping teammates, consider the following things: Can you get there in time? Can you actually turn the situation around if you get there? What will you be missing if you do?
Countless times I've seen people (myself included of course) run to "save" a teammates only to die horribly and pointlessly to overwhelming odds. It's generally a better idea to let your teammate die and live than it is to go in with him on the off chance you might get a kill. With experience, you'll learn when you can actually have a positive impact on an encounter and when you shouldn't take the risk.
Champions like Katarina and Akali strive for moments where a bunch of low health champions are chasing near death lil Teemo because they get resets on their abilities on kills and the actually can get the kill on multiple people in a short amount of time. If you're Leona... not so much.

I've also been in many situations where I was in another lane CSing/pushing and the entire enemy team showed up in another lane. I was urged by my team to join them to contribute the the emminent team fight, only to find myself alone in a heap of corpses once I got there because I was too far away to get there in time. I was of course subsequently blamed for them losing the 4v5.
What should have happened in those situations is that I should have kept pushing the lane hard while my team stalled wherever they were, making sure not to engage or get engaged on but keeping the enemy team busy. Doing so, I'm being useful pushing a lane (and perhaps getting a tower) while everyone else is basically "doing nothing", meaning my team comes out on top.
Likewise, if you're caught out of position and there's no way for you to get out, go down with a bang. There's no point running away if you know you won't make it to safety. Use what you've got to deal as much damage as possible to the squishiest target in the vicinity. I've gotten multiple kills doing this, sometimes even came out on top of a 2 man gank due to really good moves on my part combined with terrible moves on my enemies' part.
Regarding escape, once you reach level 12 and you get flash, it's important to know how to use it properly. Flash displaces you over a short distance instantly. The uses you should make of flash is the following:
1- Dodge an important skillshot or aoe ability. Think Blitzcrank grab, Chogath's rupture, Leona's Ult, those kind of things.
2- Move over a wall.
3- Juke someone combining flash with brush(es)
4- Match someone's flash so they essentially "wasted" their flash.

Don't use flash to create a small gap in the open. Most champions have a means to close gaps and will wait to use them once you've burnt flash. If you use flash to juke in a brush or over a wall, you not only create distance, but they lose vision, which is the most important part.