Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Custom games now require more than one player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vozan

01-31-2011

The title states my issue.

I was told this information by a friend, and I immediately knew it was a horrible idea. I checked it myself right away, in slight dis-belief. When i created the game, i found that when i clicked "Start Game", I was given the message "Unable to start champion selection. Custom games must have a minimum of 2 players.". I know, that Riot has just made a mistake. I can easily understand some simple reasons why Riot would have made this decision. I can also create some counter points making their decision poor, and lacking logical reasoning.

I'm going to tell you a little of my past(related to this topic). I wanted to create my own jungle Shaco play style, because I strongly disagreed with the populer one that most players do (killing lizard as the second or third camp). So anyways, here's what I did to create this style. I made a custom game, against no computers, and tried different item combinations, and tried to achieve my goals, in the speed i want, with the general item schemes i wanted. It took me three hours to perfect what I wanted to achieve, and then multiple non-custom-games afterword for practice. The point of this story, is the custom games which i practiced in for three hours. I practiced alone, creating games that were four to five minutes long each just because of the fact that those few minutes were the most perfection-intensive parts of the strategy.

Back to the main story!
If i had to have a person, joining every single one of these four to five minute long games, then they'd be asking me for a pay check. That'd be like slave work, or bored-friend work, or friend-torturing work. I don't understand why Riot would purposely be limiting "theory crafting", or strategy testing, or realistically creativity all together. I understand that they don't like the idea of IP farming, but I wouldn't mind being able to create a single player custom game without any IP again at all. To simply conclude, a mistake has been made, a mistake which limits the human mind, and fun of the game all-together.

I have never personally experienced this scenario in the past, and have never heard inforation about it in the past. If this is a temporary change, it is acceptable. If it is a permenant change, it is entirely unacceptable.

Sabnitron

Recruiter

01-31-2011

Oh dear god. This thread again.

The number of players required to create customs games is occasionally and temporarily raised in order to lessen strain on the servers.

Next time, read before posting.

Mortox

01-31-2011

Yeah I assume its to help lessen all the lag everyone's complaining about.

A bit unfortunate though as I like to try out new champs all the time (or go back to champs I haven't played in months) and run them through a quick 15 min custom game just to get the hang of their abilities/ranges before I take them into a normal game.

Voidgolem

01-31-2011

Hey TC: Read other topics before making another one on the same subject.

It'll make me less likely to come and consume your firstborn child during the night.

Kthx.

Vozan

01-31-2011

Quote:
Sabnitron:
Oh dear god. This thread again.

The number of players required to create customs games is occasionally and temporarily raised in order to lessen strain on the servers.

Next time, read before posting.

Is it okay to take such an action? Honestly, I feel taking out single player IP farming will get rid of most single player custom games anyway. Theory crafting should be a very supported thing. Creativity is very important in this game, I feel. Is it okay to say "The servers can't handle it" and just take out a great part of the game? That's a fair question, and I feel some would agree and some would disagree. Quite obviously, I disagree.

Nat Belmont

01-31-2011

Maybe this problem could be solved by actually having this information somewhere useful.

King Ghost Butt

01-31-2011

Quote:
BattleFury:
Is it okay to take such an action? Honestly, I feel taking out single player IP farming will get rid of most single player custom games anyway. Theory crafting should be a very supported thing. Creativity is very important in this game, I feel. Is it okay to say "The servers can't handle it" and just take out a great part of the game?

This has happened a few times. It will get changed back.

Sabnitron

Recruiter

01-31-2011

Quote:
BattleFury:
Is it okay to take such an action? Honestly, I feel taking out single player IP farming will get rid of most single player custom games anyway. Theory crafting should be a very supported thing. Creativity is very important in this game, I feel. Is it okay to say "The servers can't handle it" and just take out a great part of the game?

It's either that or have the servers crash. Which is better, a minor and very temporary change, or every single person being completely unable to play indefinitely?

Sorry you would rather have the servers completely offline than have to wait a few hours to play a solo game.

Vozan

02-01-2011

Like I had said, as long as this is a temporary change, it's perfectly fine.

smoothmoves

07-29-2011

soo 2 players per custom IS temporary.. right?