Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LF Christian men and women (and anyone who enjoys discussions of faith/religion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nunuman77

09-09-2014

christian.jpg

Ir0nt0mato

09-09-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
Praise the Lord, you exist.
I'm so happy I'm not the only one. ;w; Bless you.

You too my friend, it's nice to see a brother in Christ who has read the Bible and understands his faith. That makes my heart jump for joy.

Joe Blast

09-09-2014

Quote:
Ir0nt0mato:
I'm not opposed to talking and discussing with anyone on the subject of faith and religion, as that's how we grow as people and as a society.

I disagree. I believe that faith and religion are not paths to societal growth. They seem more like ways to divide societies. Sure, you bring in a specific group of like-minded people, but you alienate the rest.

I was a Christian for a good stretch. I lived on a Bible camp in Iowa, met some awesome people, and learned a lot of excellent stuff. I also learned that it took a lot of lying and pretending to actually convince myself that I actually believed all the stuff that I was supposed to believe, as a Christian.

The feeling of having a strong, supportive community is great. The notion of having everything follow a divine path is comforting. The idea of a loving God provides peace of mind in a tumultuous world.

All of those things were nice, the only issue was that I didn't truly buy any of it, not matter how much I prayed, or how much I felt like I was opening my heart or mind. All I was really doing was lying to myself and believing things simply because they brought me comfort.

There are a lot of ideas in Christianity(and every other faith that I have researched) that I cannot logically endorse.

The idea of an omnipotent and everlasting God doesn't make sense. You cannot be eternal AND omnipotent. If God cannot eternally remove himself from existence(suicide), then he is not omnipotent. If God can remove himself from existence, then He isn't eternal. Either way, there is a system in place that supersedes God, which is contrary to what Christianity teaches.

Additionally, the idea of prayer seems entirely absurd. If you believe, as the Bible teaches, that God has a divine plan, and that His plan will be done(no matter what), then why even pray? If it is in God's plan to give the person you love most in this world terminal cancer, then why do people pray that God heals them? Either God wants them dead, or He doesn't; your prayers are not going to change His divine plan. How arrogant does a person need to be to believe in God and ALSO believe that they know better than God, and ask him to change His plan by praying?

Furthermore, the idea of Heaven does not seem pleasant. Eternity is too long. You never get a break, ever. Imagine dying and having to spend FOREVER serving God. Eventually, you will have done everything there is to do, until God arbitrarily creates new things to do. Eventually you will reach a point where you can no longer grow, as a person, without surpassing God. The idea of an ENDLESS existence in which you can never become the best, and always have to play second fiddle to God, seems like torture. It might seem fun for the first few trillion years, but think about it, IT NEVER ENDS.

Personally, I take more solace in the the idea that my life holds value because it is so brief; that this isn't some dress rehearsal for an after-life.

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-09-2014

Quote:
Joe Blast:
I disagree. I believe that faith and religion are not paths to societal growth. They seem more like ways to divide societies. Sure, you bring in a specific group of like-minded people, but you alienate the rest.

I was a Christian for a good stretch. I lived on a Bible camp in Iowa, met some awesome people, and learned a lot of excellent stuff. I also learned that it took a lot of lying and pretending to actually convince myself that I actually believed all the stuff that I was supposed to believe, as a Christian.

The feeling of having a strong, supportive community is great. The notion of having everything follow a divine path is comforting. The idea of a loving God provides peace of mind in a tumultuous world.

All of those things were nice, the only issue was that I didn't truly buy any of it, not matter how much I prayed, or how much I felt like I was opening my heart or mind. All I was really doing was lying to myself and believing things simply because they brought me comfort.

There are a lot of ideas in Christianity(and every other faith that I have researched) that I cannot logically endorse.

The idea of an omnipotent and everlasting God doesn't make sense. You cannot be eternal AND omnipotent. If God cannot eternally remove himself from existence(suicide), then he is not omnipotent. If God can remove himself from existence, then He isn't eternal. Either way, there is a system in place that supersedes God, which is contrary to what Christianity teaches.

Additionally, the idea of prayer seems entirely absurd. If you believe, as the Bible teaches, that God has a divine plan, and that His plan will be done(no matter what), then why even pray? If it is in God's plan to give the person you love most in this world terminal cancer, then why do people pray that God heals them? Either God wants them dead, or He doesn't; your prayers are not going to change His divine plan. How arrogant does a person need to be to believe in God and ALSO believe that they know better than God, and ask him to change His plan by praying?

Furthermore, the idea of Heaven does not seem pleasant. Eternity is too long. You never get a break, ever. Imagine dying and having to spend FOREVER serving God. Eventually, you will have done everything there is to do, until God arbitrarily creates new things to do. Eventually you will reach a point where you can no longer grow, as a person, without surpassing God. The idea of an ENDLESS existence in which you can never become the best, and always have to play second fiddle to God, seems like torture. It might seem fun for the first few trillion years, but think about it, IT NEVER ENDS.

Personally, I take more solace in the the idea that my life holds value because it is so brief; that this isn't some dress rehearsal for an after-life.

If you would like, I can address some of those points.
I'm happy you've realized that life isn't a dress rehearsal for the afterlife, lol cuz it's not. Have fun living life.

Joe Blast

09-09-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
If you would like, I can address some of those points.
I'm happy you've realized that life isn't a dress rehearsal for the afterlife, lol cuz it's not. Have fun living life.

Address away!

DarkestDisciple

09-09-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
1 Kings 18:21 - Elijah went before the people and said, "How long
will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him;
but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing.

Hate to break it to you, but truth is not relative. I can prove that logically if you want, and never once did our Lord say that it was alright to encourage potentially hurtful things simply because truth is relative and people don't want to change for the better.

If I'm going to follow my Lord, I'm going to follow Him through the words left by people who honestly believed, that one letter out of place in their scripture could mean the end of the world;
not bastardized variations created through Catholicism and Protestantism, etc.
I'm Christian, entirely, in the words that Christ and the Lord's prophets left for us.

In my opinion, should you willingly commit sinful and hurtful acts and then say, "Well, I'm just not THAT kind of Christian! I'm a special kind of Christian where doing that is allowed!" then you're just avoiding the Truth and the Lord's Way, and not what I would define as "Christian."
This doesn't imply I'm hateful toward my "Christian" kin. I was told to love those people regardless, and shine the Lord's light. I've seen how that works wonders myself, since I was originally agnostic.

I honestly didn't know that people like me existed. At least not on this forum. :P

While I'd bet we don't necessarily agree on everything, or even most things, it's good to know that others out there share this perspective.

God's word says what it says. Interpretting it for intent is crucial, and an expectation of attempting to follow that intent is just as important. I've found itching ears to be far too common in religious conversations, especially online. "Well, I have a personal relationship with God; you get to Heaven that way but I'm good," just infuriates me. It's almost as bad as the Mormon position: "Well I asked God about this scripture that opposes what my religion proposes and he told me it doesn't actually mean what it says. Sorry."

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-09-2014

Quote:
Joe Blast:
Address away!

Lol Goodness gracious this is kind of long, but I assure you it covers all the bases most won't cover.

Probably the reason you "didn't buy it" is because it wasn't true to begin with.
Have you ever played that game as a child, where you sit in a circle with a bunch of people, and pass a message around the circle?
It never comes back the way it was originally, does it?

If you read the New Revised version of the Bible, you'll find that it has been vastly changed since King James - and not just by making it "easier to understand."
For example, in the prophecy that a child will be born to a virgin, the writing was changed to "a young woman."
That wasn't the goshdarn point of the verse.
The point was that the impossible happened and a child would be born to a virgin woman, not to "a young woman" who may or may not have had 6 billion kids before Jesus.

If you read the Hebrew texts and translate them in person, you get to the heart of a verse, which is no longer done.
It's simply reprints of reprints of reprints.
Unlike our brother religion, Islam, Christianity is founded on the idea that you are meant to challenge the Lord's Word, and nitpick it - so you may understand it. Therefore, everything written must be logical and emotionally geared for a human being.
Unless you translate it from its original Hebrew, you can bet your bottom you're not reading what the Bible actually says, which would explain why nothing ever made sense. Because it literally doesn't, and your soul knows it.

As well as your choice of Bible greatly influencing your faith, so does the "rules" of whatever sub-denomination you're in. For example, just culturally, my sister married Catholic, and she is largely ignored by her husband. His whole family is catholic, and the girls are largely ignored just in general. They then claim this is all because women are "lesser" and it's alright, which it's not really. It's a misunderstanding of the term indictive of marriage, which means "helpmate." You're partners, not man and wife. Yes, your wife is slightly below you, but that's only because you're supposed to take care of all her needs so she can support you - like when you get a new child in the family. They are only below you so you can care for them entirely.

About Prayer now, and questioning why we pray.
God gave us free will for a reason; this reason being:
You can program a robot to love you, but truely the robot doesn't actually love you. You told it to love you, so it does. Thus, you can't have a full, entire relationship with the robot despite it loving you, because you miss a lot of what makes a dynamic relationship with an individual who cares.
Prayer is a way to spend time with the Lord. To speak with Him, to be friendly, to talk about what hurts you in the world and things that bother you. He wants to hear from you - He has eternity at your side and once it happens He can go back to that moment for ever, and ever! Even if you're angry with him, He's happy to hear from you.
*Important Note: When praying, be careful not to speak outwards. All things have a connection to the Lord - on the inside, because it's a fundamental part of you. In times of need, if you reach outward instead of inward, you might feel lonely because you're trying to reach Him through a path that is not there.
The Bible tells us this, but it seems i forgot to bookmark the page.
Bother. I'll fetch it later if you want it.

Lastly now, about Heaven.
Heaven isn't a life spent entirely just fanning the Lord on His throne - no no, it's not at all like that!
Heaven is a world like Earth, with the kindest and most sincere souls pulled in to create a loving environment where there are very very few problems. The problems that do arise are solved quickly and painlessly, only furthering relationships.
Heaven is vast and beautiful, with infinite number of things to eat, to see, to explore and to feel.
Truely, it doesn't get boring.
If you do happen to get bored, there are things to do.

Zantheus

09-09-2014

hey man, sorry about that last thread

But like I said, can't play cuz my comp currently sucks

So good luck finding others!

iKnowMyADCs

09-09-2014

Quote:
XxNyanGoesBoomxX:
Ayo, Christian here.

Fair warning, "Christian" isn't a very good term for it. There's Catholic, Protestant, etc.

If you want true Christianity, read the Hebrew translations of the Bible. If you want Modern Christianity, be specific on who you're looking for.
I'm of the former, myself.

Pleasure to meet someone open-minded on GD.

This..... is so wrong.

Christian is a great term for it. Christ is not divided. These dominations are the problem. "we're right, you're wrong" Ah, Christian teaching is a joke.

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-09-2014

Quote:
iKnowMyADCs:
This..... is so wrong.

Christian is a great term for it. Christ is not divided. These dominations are the problem. "we're right, you're wrong" Ah, Christian teaching is a joke.

It was my first post, so it was boiled down for whatever trolls that showed up who don't know how to research before judging.
I meant that if you want Christians in general, say that - but by all means, don't think that all Christians are the same, because they are not. You're correct - Christ is not divided, but people are, thus the denominations are oft stepping out of bounds.