Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

LF Christian men and women (and anyone who enjoys discussions of faith/religion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ir0nt0mato

09-09-2014

The forums are shutting down today with the advent of the new GD. I just want to thank all of you who participated in this discussion. For those of you who are still seeking Christ, I'll be praying He reveals himself to you. Jesus Christ is the only One who can set you free from your loneliness, sadness, hatred, depression, anxiety, pain, and the chains that bind you to all of these things. Jesus is truly the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

Praise be to God, my friends, praise be to God.

Shout outs to people who've helped keep this thread going:

Quote:
Easyaeta:
I took it upon myself to reset the up/downvotes

Come on Atheists he's just looking for friendly discussion, no need to be so hostile

Quote:
Tundra Fizz:
Seeing how the thread has dipped down to negative numbers again, I'll be doing the same as Easyaeta and put it at a highish vote-count to prevent it from being closed.

While this thread doesn't interest me, I do like that the original poster is sincere to have a discussion about this and it would be a shame if this thread got auto-locked from downvotes.

I just wanna give a huge thank you to both of you and to anyone else who's contributed in keeping this thread afloat. Thank you, this means a lot to me.

Update** For all of you who might be angry at this topic or simply don't care for it, then please read this post from 1v1 me at turret about making GD a friendly environment for healthy discussion and debate. I'm here to learn as much as I'm here to discuss.http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4887011

Update*
I'm still responding to questions if you have any. Go down a couple pages and you can see some of my responses.

Sorry about posting this so soon after my last post, but for some reason my last post randomly had a lot of down votes on it without any reason.

I'm looking for any Christians to play with and have some wholesome discussions on faith. If you aren't a Christian feel free to also add me, I'm not opposed to talking and discussing with anyone on the subject of faith and religion, as that's how we grow as a people and as a society.

If you have any complaints with any of the above mentioned text then please feel free to respond in this thread before down voting. I'm not here to make anyone feel uncomfortable or judge anyone here. I'm only looking to broaden my horizons and discuss faith and religion with the kind people on this game (it also happens to be one of my favorite topics as well.)

I saw a thread recently that asked a couple core questions about Christianity and these were my thoughts/response to them.
Quote:
Ir0nt0mato:
Mind if I take a crack at this one? This may seem like a long winded response from some random guy on the forum, but read it in full, I think I can answer all these questions of yours.

Hi, Snake XT. I'm a Christian myself so let me see if I can give a humbled perspective without taking too much of your time.

Let's start with your first question: Why do you believe he is Son of God?

This is a good one, so I'm sure you are well aware of who Jesus Christ was. For those of you who don't know the abbreviated story goes like this: Humans kept sinning and breaking what was an objective moral code, God the Father being a just God knew that He had to uphold some kind of payment for the crimes man has committed (Hell, separation from God,) but He loved us so much that He decided to pay the punishment for us in the form of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was a flawless lamb who didn't commit any sin and because of that was able to die and pay for our sins in full. This allowed man to be able to swap out our slate for His and thus allowed us to have a chance to go to heaven under His slate. So this is a very quick summary as to why Jesus Christ is who He is.

Now to the question, why do I believe He's the Son of God? Well, because Isaiah (a prophet of the Lord,) received a vision directly from God talking about a newborn king coming to save all of humanity. Now normally I don't like to post websites on here, but rather than pasting all of Isaiah (the book in the old testament,) this website simply gives a detailed list of the correlating Bible verses in which Christ fulfills the prophecy categorically in the new testament, proving that he was the savior Isaiah talked about. Again, this is not a long read, but simply a very short page showing the correlation of Bible verses: http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Isaiah%27s%20Messianic%20Prophecies.htm

So we see here that Jesus is the Immanuel (meaning "God is with us&quot that Isaiah is referring to. Now Son of God is the term you hear most often, but understand that in the same way your grandfather is a father to you, God is the Father of all of us as He created the first human who begat more humans making God the original and Father of all. Since we are all God's children we can sometimes forget that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." In this way we can see that Jesus was directly begotten from God as He was born of a virgin birth which is something quite mystical and exclusive in it of itself. Suffice it to say Jesus is very special in this regard and that is why we try to make the distinction between God's children and God's one and only begotten Son.

Now that we've covered all that, let's get to the real meat and potatoes of what you asked: Why do you believe Jesus is God?

The question of the trinity can be a sometimes hard one to answer, but let's see if I can explain this simply. There are A LOT of examples in the Bible as to why Jesus is God, but I'll only point out some of the few to make my case.

We have a new testament account right here where Jesus is admitting He was here before even Abraham (who was the great grandfather of the 12 tribes of Israel) John 8:58 "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'" Now let me, if I may, take an old testament example from Exodus of which Moses encounters God for the first time. Exodus 3:14 "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’" in this example we see the same phrasing in which Jesus used to describe Himself as well.

Here is one I'd like to call a definitive statement from Jesus Christ: John 10:30-33 "I and the Father are one." 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." Now you may be wondering "what if Jesus was simply being blasphemous and he wasn't actually one with the Father?" Well, the answer to this question lies in Acts in which Stephen first hand witnesses God the Father and Jesus Christ at the right hand of Him. Acts 7:55-60 "But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; 56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." 57 But they cried out with a loud voice, and covered their ears, and they rushed upon him with one impulse. 58 And when they had driven him out of the city, they began stoning him, and the witnesses laid aside their robes at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 And they went on stoning Stephen as he called upon the Lord and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" 60 And falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" And having said this, he fell asleep."

So we see Jesus was who He said Himself to be, but to help illustrate the point of the three in one trinity let's use a real life example. The U.S. government has three branches to it, Judicial, legislative, and executive. These three all work under one name, the U.S. government. In much the same way God is comprised of the Holy Spirit (which dwells in us,) Jesus Christ (Who died of us,) and God the Father (who ultimately IS the Father of all us.) In this way we can understand that these three parts simply make up one God. I know this all sounds confusing, but understand that omnipotence can tend to be a bit mind boggling as its practical application can be a bit foreign to us at times.

Either way, to answer your question, this is how I know Jesus and the Father to be one.

Why do you believe Jesus died for you sins? (Crucified).

So this question is a bit less theologically intensive as the last one so I'll keep the answer a bit shorter. The reason Jesus came in the first place was to die for man's sin. We are all law breakers in the eyes of the Lord, all of us, whether we can admit it or not. We've all committed a crime in some way, shape, or form against the Lord, and we deserve our punishment. Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

God does not weigh out the good and the bad in our lives, as that would be an unfair method of judging a crime. If I murdered someone in cold blood and confessed my crime to the police, it wouldn't matter what good I've done in my life, I would still go to jail due to the crime I've committed and the fact that I would still be deserving of a punishment. In this same sense we see the 10 commandments (the law) have been broken by all of us in a number of ways. Now God could've let us simply die and rot in our sin, but He didn't. Out of love He sent Jesus Christ to die for us and take all of our punishment and swap His slate for ours. This act of love is called substitutionary atonement.

Now onto the real question, why do I believe. I believe because I see my own sin right in front of me, I see what kind of person I really am. Pride and self-righteousness tries to cover up my shame, it tries to tell me that I'm "alright," and "not that bad compared to others," but I see the truth. I've been a terrible person, much like some of the people on this forum who get smited by Lyte. Have you ever seen the post where they get a fourteen day ban and swear that they did nothing wrong, only to find out that there chat logs tell a different story? That's how we are when we try to tell ourselves that we aren't that bad or we aren't guilty of any real crimes. I personally got sick of telling myself that lie and I finally couldn't take it. I tried searching through various religions, but most didn't have a solution for a constant sinner like myself, and others wanted money, or other services in order to cleanse myself of my sin. Then Jesus came into my life, I picked up a Bible and read how a God, out of love, showed me mercy and forgave me of my sins, and paid the debt for me. I was moved in every way. I was saved, that was all I needed to hear...

Last question: Do you believe in the Anti-Christ?

Yes, as any Christian should. The antichrist is simply someone who will lead with power and might over the earth for a short time and deceive many, even those who are the elect.

Now there will be many on this earth who will try to trick and deceive people away from Christ's love. The Apostle John writes about them being an antichrist in their own way, 1 John 2:18 "Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." There will be one, however, that will be the last to bear this gruesome title: Revelation 13:1-6 "1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as [the feet] of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority. And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who [is] like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty [and] two months. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven."

Now this dragon who John is referring to is the serpent we know as Satan, a once mighty angel known as Lucifer in ages past. Lucifer of course fell from grace after wanting to be a god in his own right and tricked man into the same ideal. So we see here in this final act of our earth, we have a false prophet performing miracles and ushering in this beast known as the antichrist. This antichrist and prophet of course being Satan's response to Jesus and Isaiah/John the Baptist. There isn't much more to say on this matter, but read Revelation and see for yourself just how this whole thing will play out.

I'm sorry this response ended up becoming this long, but you wanted the answer and no man should be denied a fair answer from a Christian. If you have any questions feel free to contact me in game (IGN is the same as forum name) or over Skype. Either way, I hope this answers your question and I'm always open to criticism in anyway.

God bless, Snake XT, and thanks for reaching out to us Christians.

Sinornim

09-09-2014

I wish you good luck in your search, but this is definitely one of the last places to look.

RayMkII

Recruiter

09-09-2014

Good luck on your search, but as others have said this is not the best place to look. :/

Ir0nt0mato

09-09-2014

Quote:
Sinornim:
I wish you good luck in your search, but this is definitely one of the last places to look.

Thanks, Sinornim. I just want to understand everyone better. The only reason I'm posting again is to keep the offer on the table and better understand everyone as to why this is such a touchy subject on GD.

KaellrusQT

09-09-2014

christian.jpg

SquishyTentacles

09-09-2014

Quote:
Ir0nt0mato:
to why this is such a touchy subject on GD.

It's a touchy subject anywhere and everywhere.

XxNyanGoesBoomxX

09-09-2014

Ayo, Christian here.

Fair warning, "Christian" isn't a very good term for it. There's Catholic, Protestant, etc.

If you want true Christianity, read the Hebrew translations of the Bible. If you want Modern Christianity, be specific on who you're looking for.
I'm of the former, myself.

Pleasure to meet someone open-minded on GD.

Mojay

09-09-2014

I'm always up for a discussion on faith. I'm an agnostic-atheist but I have a good Christian buddy and we like to talk about the meaning of spirituality and whatnot sometimes. Feel free to add me.

SquishyTentacles

09-09-2014

I respect all forms of religion (thousands, mind you), and show each one equal amounts of passion, but I won't openly debate you on your beliefs, unless provoked. If aggravated, I will aggressively attempt to shut you down. Add me if you want.

Ir0nt0mato

09-09-2014

Quote:
SquishyTentacles:
It's a touchy subject anywhere and everywhere.

That's true, but that's part of the reason why it's so important to create a dialogue. Religion shouldn't be this taboo subject that we simply up vote and down vote to express our feelings on. Religion should be something everyone is able to freely talk about, whether you be against it or not.