Uses for Trist's buster shot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExsqweezeMe

01-18-2010

can anyone suggest some clever or useful uses for tristana's ult? after trying some attempts to push enemies into team mates or towers, i find eventually in the late game it just becomes something i use to keep a chaser away.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2010

You really only forgot one use: saving your allies. Team mates love me when I blast that ulting Nunu, Kat or Fiddle away from them. Or even if I just blast that Udyr that is stunlocking them away long enough for them to escape.

Oh, it also makes a passable nuke. Remember that it does a few hundred damage and that your jump's cooldown completes if you get a kill or assist. If an enemy is low and running, jump/ult/jump back works amazingly well.

JunkRamen

01-18-2010

When you first hit six it's far more than a "passable nuke," it's an extremely strong one. That's especially true if you're mid and about to gank the side lanes.

Ksielvin

01-18-2010

I'm gonna assume a physical dps carry build.

Like you have realized, Tristana is not a ranged Alistar. Initiating with Jump and Buster Shot is a pretty good way to get yourself killed, though the trick is occasionally useful.

Since Rapid Fire is good enough to be your "ult" (considering the low cooldown), Buster Shot becomes utility. I think the most important use for it is as an interrupt for various channeled abilities: Kat & Nunu ults, Fiddle's channel at start of ult, perhaps Janna's pushback. If the team has few interrupts and Kat or Nunu is on the other side, treasure your ult cooldown for team fights. I may use it on Twitch if he ults from near max distance. Walking back wastes his time.

Perhaps second best use is as secondary escape tool like you mentioned. Against Udyr, Singed or Rammus speed you need both escapes. It can occasionally save a team mate. Jump might do it better but often gets you killed instead of them.

It's also a stun. You may not get behind an enemy but shooting from the side is enough. If you fire someone into a wall that's too thick for them to reach the other side, they'll stay put a bit. It helps if you keep the ult at lvl 1 for this use, since the knockback power increases. Recently I reached lvl 11, improved the ult and then forgot about the power increase when our team jumped Janna. Ended up helping her escape through a wall that wasn't quite thick enough, oops! Team was forgivingly silent about it.

Nuking is really the least thing it does if you're building for attack dps. But when laning I use it as part of harassment damage frequently to make use of the uncommonly low cooldown at ability lvl 1. Also due to the cooldown I may use it on Lizard or Golem if in a hurry with early low dps. Again take care not to bust them through a wall. Baron doesn't get pushed away by the way, I've stolen last hit with Buster Shot after teleporting to an invisible ward when opponents were finishing him off.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2010

It's good for making sure you get the last hit on a kill if nothing else.

Klazzix

01-19-2010

You can also use Buster Shot to save your enemy. If you know what I mean..

ExsqweezeMe

01-19-2010

it definitely shines when you hit 6 and that's its high point. however as the game progresses (particularly when it enters the latter group battle stages) it loses its utility significantly, especially seeing as it is her ultimate skill after all with a chunky cooldown to go with it. the pushback / enemy displacement is still nice throughout the game, but other chars can do it much more regularly as non-ult skills (e.g. ali's headbutt, singed's throw, even poppy's charge works nice to save a team vs nunu's ult as her passive allows her to survive it well).

so i was wondering if there was more to the skill... but at the moment there doesn't seem to be much more.

JackCrow

Adjudicator

01-19-2010

I've seen it used to knock people into towers, and push people PASt towers into a waiting team. However, that was only once.

Sylfin

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCrow View Post
I've seen it used to knock people into towers, and push people PASt towers into a waiting team. However, that was only once.
I recon that is the most awesome way to use buster shot but from what i experienced, it is hard to pull off especially when the enemy has stuns etc. You then most of the time end up as bait for the enemy. I always play solo que so I don't know if it would work in an organized team.

My personal Tristana "philosophy" is that rapid fire is your main weapon and you want to spam the enemy with dps without being hit too much or being stunned etc. So I utilize my other skills for this. When the enemy comes close i can use rocket jump, when the reached me again i can flash, and when they still want to go after me, i push them back with buster shot. If you use rapid fire while doing this during end game, most enemies will be dead somewhere between flash and buster shot.

Hubbz

01-19-2010

A lot of people know how Tris plays and it's much harder to pull off the RJ to Buster maneuver now.

When your team QQ's why you shot Nunu far away or Kat, don't worry about it. They just don't realize that you saved EVERYONE....unless you had a team full of disables and stuns. Then Buster is just more annoying than anything