Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A proposition, for those angry with the obliteration of the League.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsktheThornmage

09-07-2014

/Mad Chemist

I've already been boycotting Riot for a while now. I haven't played their game in almost a month on my main, and even when I do play it's so infrequently that I might as well not play anymore.

I haven't bought any skins or anything with RP in quite a long while. I even hold on to the RP on my smurfs that they give you for leveling up to a certain point.

Ask The Widow

09-08-2014

bumping.

torinid

09-08-2014

At first I was so excited. "Hurray, Riot is paying attention to lore again!"

But now...Riot, just leave lore alone please.

We need a petition or something for the community to sign to show the large number of unhappy players. Basically anyone who payed attention to lore seems upset by the new, generic changes.

VirgilTheDragon

09-08-2014

I haven't actually played League in a few months, not that excited to go back after this either. As for money, I haven't purchased RP for well over a year with absolutely no intention to do so again.

In my eyes, Riot has grown fat and happy on the money I and others have given them, but being on such a large pile of it has made it difficult for them to see us lowly players and don't consider what we want to be a priority. In their minds, they know what's good for us and we'll take their watered down "lore" whether we like it or not. Well I know what's good for my wallet. It isn't Riot Games, and I'm keeping it that way, especially after this fustercluck.

Ask The Widow

09-08-2014

Quote:
VirgilTheDragon:
fustercluck

Oh my god, yes. All my yes.

But yeah, I hear you.

Tacet

09-08-2014

I paid zero attention to Dawngate up until now. Then people started saying what cool things they're doing with the lore and storytelling in that game, so I downloaded it and gave it a shot today.

The gameplay is much faster paced than LoL (to the point of being a little spammy imo), but it keeps our beloved B button intact, unlike DoTA. Then you have the Dawngate Chronicles lore comic series. It's similar to what Firefall did, if you were around for that.

Good move, Riot. You really helped your competitor out. I seriously doubt I'll stop playing League altogether, but I'm definitely going to spend less time on it. Your story is going to have to be worthy of reading on its own, because now that it doesn't affect the game, it doesn't affect me and I therefore have no reason to care about it.

Philomelle

09-09-2014

Quote:
Tacet:
I paid zero attention to Dawngate up until now. Then people started saying what cool things they're doing with the lore and storytelling in that game, so I downloaded it and gave it a shot today.

The gameplay is much faster paced than LoL (to the point of being a little spammy imo), but it keeps our beloved B button intact, unlike DoTA. Then you have the Dawngate Chronicles lore comic series. It's similar to what Firefall did, if you were around for that.

Good move, Riot. You really helped your competitor out. I seriously doubt I'll stop playing League altogether, but I'm definitely going to spend less time on it. Your story is going to have to be worthy of reading on its own, because now that it doesn't affect the game, it doesn't affect me and I therefore have no reason to care about it.

Also worth mentioning that Dawngate makes very active use of the in-game client as a storytelling tool. Not only are the Dawngate Chronicles linked there, but you get occasional votes for how the story within them should progress and you influence said votes by playing the game. There is also a lore tab that contains a collection of short stories dedicated to every character and their place in the world.

Oh yeah, did I mention that every character's lore within the client is written in first person and narrated aloud by the character's voice actor? In the meantime, Riot wants to remove champion biographies from the client and replace them with tiny uninspired blurbs that are supposed to "encourage us to read the rest of the story on the website".

Dawngate took the ideas Riot had about in-client lore long ago, then expanded them into something very compelling. In the meantime, Riot removed those ideas completely. Their competitors took five steps forward while Riot are sprinting back.

Levik

09-09-2014

Quote:
Philomelle:
Also worth mentioning that Dawngate makes very active use of the in-game client as a storytelling tool. Not only are the Dawngate Chronicles linked there, but you get occasional votes for how the story within them should progress and you influence said votes by playing the game. There is also a lore tab that contains a collection of short stories dedicated to every character and their place in the world.

Oh yeah, did I mention that every character's lore within the client is written in first person and narrated aloud by the character's voice actor? In the meantime, Riot wants to remove champion biographies from the client and replace them with tiny uninspired blurbs that are supposed to "encourage us to read the rest of the story on the website".

Dawngate took the ideas Riot had about in-client lore long ago, then expanded them into something very compelling. In the meantime, Riot removed those ideas completely. Their competitors took five steps forward while Riot are sprinting back.

Stealing this to use on my thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49788748#post49788748). Linked and credited with much praise. Thanks!

Philomelle

09-09-2014

Quote:
Levik:
Stealing this to use on my thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49788748#post49788748). Linked and credited with much praise. Thanks!

You're welcome. I'll actually add to what I already said and note that they do have the 2-3 sentence character description of the kind Riot wants to put into the client as the characters' complete in-client lore. Do you know what they are?

Skin descriptions. That's right, every skin has a 2-3 sentence blurb explaining its narrative origin, with the default one being a description of the character. Waystone Games did that as a small side thing for skins. Riot wants to turn that into the character's entire in-client lore.

Oh yeah, I have also tested Strife since I posted that message. Did you know that it has a single-player campaign that expands on the characters' lore and explains their reasons for joining in the Trials of Strife? There's only one 1-hour episode available at the moment and it's disconnected from the main MOBA, but it serves as a good build-up to the core game. It also does teach you some less appreciated aspects of MOBA gameplay, such as reading telegraphs, positioning and timing (the latter two especially, since there's a section where Rook needs to use his grappling hook to navigate a fireball gauntlet, with 0.5 second intervals between fireballs).

Demonbane775

09-09-2014

Dawngate, Hmmmm? have to give that a look.
(Ask The Widow out of smurf here.)