[Mini Guide] How to kill poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rigario

01-18-2010

This guide is for 1 and only 1 purpose, to teach everyone how to deal with poppy so leseer people will rage quit after poppy kills them once tower diving.

Disclaimer #1 With that said in no way am i saying that poppy isn't overpowered but she just isn't as overpowered as everyone makes her out to be.

Disclaimer #2 I do not play poppy, i have only played her 2-3 times to know her well enough in order to counter her.

There are 2 things deadly that are exceptionally annoying about poppy her passive and her ult. Her ult settles itself by having a long cooldown so the main problem is her passive.

1) Know thy enemy!
Poppy is a superb any caster, her passive makes you spells tickle her instead of stab her and if you are exceptionally annoyed by poppy, don't pick a caster (vei, ryze, annie, kassadin)

2) Poppy isn't overpowered!
To first kill poppy you need to start attacking her. No, she isnt going to go away if you ignore her. Many a time my team have lost because simply no one wants to attack her (that said i usually play shaco / veigar which are pretty bursty hence i cant really kill her myself -- see #1)

To begin attacking her in the first place you need to not fear her hence believe she isnt overpowered!

3) Structure your items right
Read her passive and understand it well, any attacks that exceed 10% of her hp does 50% dmg, as such plan so that your items don't do a whole lot of dmg, instead hit fast not hit hard and chew away at her hp. In that light Maldred is a awesome item for fighting against her.

4) Pick Udyr
Lol, no its not because he is FotM right now and is in need of a nerf, its because of his tiger stance, with his tiger stance, you are nearly assured that your attacks will never exceed 10% of her hp. lots of dots and fast dmg is what udyr's tiger stance is about. Bear -> tiger chews her up in about 3 secs flat, if she is built for dps. She wont know what hit her, seriously.

Heroes that do really well against her:
Udyr
Sivir
Jax
Tristiana
Teemo
Twitch (Do not expunge, just slow and hit)
Yi

TLDR: Basically get heroes that you can stack atk speed on w/o gimping yourself, that or get a hero which deal a whole lot of Dmg over Time dmg, Teemo, twitch even fiddle if it get that bad. Itemize for atk speed.

Hope this helps.

Mpalm

01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigario View Post

2) Poppy isn't overpowered!
I laughed.

Rosham

01-18-2010

My guide will never lose to your tactics. In fact, it makes all the characters you list here the easiest ones to kill.

Speed stacking is countered by thornmail, EC counters any of those champs ability to stay in the fight for any amount of time.

spreadfred

01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigario View Post
1) Know thy enemy!
Poppy is a superb any caster, her passive makes you spells tickle her instead of stab her and if you are exceptionally annoyed by poppy, don't pick a caster (vei, ryze, annie, kassadin)

4) Pick Udyr
Lol, no its not because he is FotM right now and is in need of a nerf, its because of his tiger stance, with his tiger stance, you are nearly assured that your attacks will never exceed 10% of her hp. lots of dots and fast dmg is what udyr's tiger stance is about. Bear -> tiger chews her up in about 3 secs flat, if she is built for dps. She wont know what hit her, seriously.

Heroes that do really well against her:
Udyr
Sivir
Jax
Tristiana
Teemo
Twitch (Do not expunge, just slow and hit)
Yi

TLDR: Basically get heroes that you can stack atk speed on w/o gimping yourself, that or get a hero which deal a whole lot of Dmg over Time dmg, Teemo, twitch even fiddle if it get that bad. Itemize for atk speed.

Hope this helps.

along the lines of fiddles, what about dps casters instead of nuke casters? for instance, i'd think karthus' q spam/defile could take poppy out pretty effectively.

Balonar

01-18-2010

Fiddlestick's attacks all do little ticks of damage multiple times and usually bypass Poppy's passive very well.

Ryikua

01-18-2010

if warwick's ult doesnt bug out and he has razor GG poppy

Grovel

01-18-2010

Although not exactly written well, you've definitely pointed out the biggest mistake I make when fighting Poppy- Ignoring her Passive.

PrawnWonton

01-18-2010

Lately I've been playing a lot of Singed. I noticed that Poppy is nearly 100% useless against me. Poison, Fling, she is pretty much dead. I can just stand there and watch her beat on me, doing **** damage.

To Singed, Poppy is a mere fly on the wall.

PatouPower

01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosham View Post
My guide will never lose to your tactics. In fact, it makes all the characters you list here the easiest ones to kill.

Speed stacking is countered by thornmail, EC counters any of those champs ability to stay in the fight for any amount of time.
I laughed when you mentionned a "guide" for poppy...

Rigario

01-18-2010

Imo if the poppy is going to get thornmail + ec + boots before anything else then i dont suppose she will be doing a whole lot of dmg. Certainly nothing too significant in a team fight. So i dont really see how the build suggested in the "guide" is really that good.