Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, Destroy the League, Don't Erase it

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-07-2014

Quote:
RiotRunaan:
<3

I understand that feeling - hopefully what really defines our universe is the characters within it, though, and the stories they allow. I'll put it out there that I believe that "unique elements" do not necessarily make a universe or a story interesting. Sometimes they're actually obstacles to real, human storytelling, and they don't actually win you much.

That's a fair point. I'm just worried that a lot of characters will have trouble standing on their own, especially with the Lore blurbs in-client being shrunken down. The JoJ and judgements really brought life (or unlife, hi Karthus) to a lot of these guys, and I feel like without proper things to do or relationships to others, (Which are, to you guys' merit, things the new lore is promised to be pushing), they just sorta settle into their archetypes. We get the Werewolf, the Knight, the Evil Lich, the Mad Scientist, and so on, instead of a former chemist cursed with feral impulse by a goddess for his war crimes, stalwart defender of justice conflicted between his best friend, the prince, and his crush, an enemy assassin, ruler of an undead army with mysterious origins and some involvement in the Void, and "guy who got decked in the nads by a robot". All that stuff doesn't matter if the first time viewer/player/customer doesn't know it ever happened because the information is buried deep within the Wiki or the bowels of the Lore forum.

The last one is just my favorite JoJ story. If we can open the new Lore with Blitzcrank nut-punching someone, all is forgiven.

Sharjo

09-07-2014

As someone who actually likes the fact the IoW is going away, who never cared about the IoW or Summoner's but cared about everything else, I pretty much agree with everything Runaan said. That's my opinion of course, but the points you've made are things that I can't deny and I'm kinda thankful you came and said it.

Some people are gonna hate this, some will love it. I have no doubt there's gonna be a ton of downvotes throughout this thread now, but all I can say is I agree with you Runaan, and as someone who is more or less "Lore's cool, I like it, so when it comes I'll be happy regardless, and take it for what it is", I'll be sticking around and I'm gonna keep reading the new lore, and I'm excited for the future now, 'cuz you came and talked to us! I'm a patient guy, so I'll wait, I just hope it comes soon.

The Red Warden

09-07-2014

Riot, I will just say that what annoyed me most about the lore change is that you didn't have anything prepared to replace it with after 2 years of almost nothing from the lore. That is what ticked me off and I am guessing the reason a lot of others are as well. You got rid of a standing lore and didn't replace it but gave us nothing in return for it.

One thing I see a lot of people complain about is that you only give us the lore tidbit by tidbit instead of all at once. When you released the new lore declaration it should have been backed up by new content such as personal lore rewrites for all the champs that would need it Jax, Ori, Galio who has lost his reason to exist, and all the other 60+ champions whose lores cannot be taken for canon anymore(here is a list of all the champs whose personal bios can't be taken for can on anymore cause they mention the league {http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/BYfeEPcK-so-riot-now-that-you-have-retcond-the-whole-league-these-champions-need-lore-updates}. Even with things that should have been fixed years ago( singed's lore) you never did anything in all that time.

What ticks people off is that after 2 YEARS of almost nothing from you all we get is a giant retcon. What were you doing the last 2 years anyway lore team, since apparently it wasn't this games lore?

sleepyj101

09-07-2014

Honestly, too little too late bro.

I've waited years. Through terribly passionate recons to "music video lore" I've sat here. I don't even play that much anymore but I would still check out every creative ama for each new champ.

With this I'm done. Gonna move on to things that actually exist and aren't empty promises.

Heeelllooo Dawngate Lore

Wolfenstyne

09-07-2014

The reason I'm disappointed , is it seems we waited two years for League of Legends lore.... And instead got a Runterra spinoff story that has nothing to do with the game we actually play.

WexAndywn

Recruiter

09-07-2014

Quote:
WexAndywn:
This right here is where the disconnect occurs between the Rioters and the Playerbase. The Rioters believe this makes the story weak, the players believe this makes the story strong.

Let's take another game: Team Fortress 2. The game you guys are basing the 'new lore' off of. In-game, each character has their own personality and their own kind of style. That's cool. Even if you don't care about the storyline at all, anybody can get 'in' with that. But what if you want to know more? Well, there's more in-game, about how the characters are mercs fighting each other for a 200 year old boss. Whose brother owns the opposite team. Now, that's pretty cool, you might say. But how does that connect to the game?

It doesn't. There's a HUGE disconnect between TF2's lore and game. And that's why I dislike it. I don't want to see League take that path. League's storyline is AMAZING, PLUS it synergizes PERFECTLY with the game itself. That's a hallmark of a good story: being creative, but staying within the lines.

What would you rather see a child do: draw within the lines, or erase the lines and scribble all over the paper? That's the question being asked here.

To follow up on this, I realized I've had you added as a friend in-client for like 2 years or so, Runaan. If you want to communicate over there, that's totally viable. Logged in as we speak.

NVDax

09-07-2014

Quote:
RiotRunaan:
I wish this too. I know that we gotta put up or shut up. I'm sorry that you've lost faith, and I know that my repeated cries of "please bear with us" can only be put up with for so long - if you have lost the ability to listen, then it is my goal to win you back!

Hollow words, with hollow meaning from a team who not only constantly ignores the the cries and pleas of others BEGGING them not to go through with this change. Two years of excuses, here's to another two... of absolutely nothing.

Sharjo

09-07-2014

Quote:
WexAndywn:
This right here is where the disconnect occurs between the Rioters and the Playerbase. The Rioters believe this makes the story weak, the players believe this makes the story strong.

Just wanted to say, not all the players. I actually agree with Riot's decision on all of this. Maybe I'm dumb and Naive, but that's what I think. Might just be one guy but hey, what can I do?

WexAndywn

Recruiter

09-07-2014

Quote:
Sharjo:
Just wanted to say, not all the players. I actually agree with Riot's decision on all of this. Maybe I'm dumb and Naive, but that's what I think. Might just be one guy but hey, what can I do?

I meant the playerbase that is against the lore change. But I totally gotcha.

VelNyeScienceEye

09-07-2014

@runaan The League needs to stay. The only reason that stuff like Cho'Gath and Shadow Isles champs haven't destroyed all of Runeterra is because the League is capable of stopping them. I've seen a lot of great ideas that could still have the story advance without it interfering with gameplay(say Warwick gets Soraka's heart as part of his lore). Retconning or even having summoners and the institute end up destroyed will open up tons of plot holes. If need be, you could easily say the Institute is too busy dealing with keeping the dangerous creatures locked up to constantly meddle in politics between nations, only stepping in when on the verge of war or other horrific disaster. But there are still other options too.

Personally I'm a big fan of the future summoner suggestion by some other GDer where the game takes place in the distant future and summoners are summoning the essence and spirits of champs that are long dead. Zilean fits into this by using his time powers to go back and collect the essence of champs for summoners. Obviously his lore ends up resolved somehow and he gets to control his powers freely. It explains how such powerful champs can be controlled completely, how they die and get revived constantly in a match, how the same champ can be used by multiple people in a match, where new champs come from when you guys make them(Zilean going back in time to get the essence of a new champ), and so on. Champs can die as part of another champs storyline and you don't have to remove the champ or think of some convoluted excuse on why we can still play them. You don't need any reasons on why they joined the League because they're basically just an illusion pulled from history and used to fight.