Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, Destroy the League, Don't Erase it

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McHotcakes

09-05-2014

So this is obviously in response to the news that League of Legends will no longer have a League of Legends. I, like most lore fans, am incredibly disappointed that Riot has decided to not just get rid of the League but to actually erase it from the story of the game which of course alters the back story of nearly every character in the game.

Riot has said that it's mainly because they felt that the characters were restricted by the league both in terms of story and in terms of theme. Characters like Cho'Goth shouldn't be controlled by summoners because it weakens their power, and once characters join their league their story become stagnant. I can see the appeal of getting rid of the league, but to just pretend like it never happened is lazy writing and an insult to people who have followed the lore and grown attached to the characters.

My question for Riot is why erase the league from the story? You could easily get rid of the league without completely erasing it from existence. Instead of actually progressing the story they just reset it, when there is really no need to. I mean the Journal of Justice set up a potential downfall of the Institute of War. Swain, LeBlanc, and The Black Rose have been silently taking over Noxus and Demacia and infiltrating the League. So why not just have The Black Rose get to the point where they no longer need the league and disband it? Or maybe the League becomes so blatantly corrupt that most champions leave out of protest. That way the League is gone within the story, it doesn't just disappear because the writers want it to.

Just imagine all of the interesting things that could happen if the League was destroyed. With no institute to keep the nations in check Noxus reinvades Ionia. Zaun launches an all out assault on Piltover. Katarina and Cassiopea could flee with Sivir to Shurima to escape the Black Rose, and get involved in the turmoil that is Nasus, Renekton, and Azir are all vying for control. The Shadow Isles could finally deliver on their threat of invading Runeterra. And maybe Ashe and Sejuani forge an uneasy alliance to keep Noxus and The Shadow Isles at bay.

There are so many possibilities to advance the story of League without erasing everything that has already happened. Riot wants the new lore to make Runeterra seem like a large place filled with conflict, which is something that can be done without a total retcon. I came up with all of those story ideas off of the top of my head. There are plenty of places to go with the current story if you are willing to put in a little effort.

My main point I guess is that Riot can give both the fans and their own team what they want. The fans want the League and Riot wants a clean slate to "tell stories." By simply disbanding the League instead of erasing it, it satisfies both parties. So Riot please rethink doing a complete retcon. Because it is indeed possible to get the story in a place you want it to be without going back to square one.

Delicious Smores

09-05-2014

This, entirely this. I understand wanting to kill the League (though I have my suspicions that this "allowing the world to evolve" thing is utter horse**** and we won't see a lick of expanded lore, maybe once a year), but you have characters whose lore entirely REVOLVES around the Institute of War. Look at Orianna. She is the PRIME example of someone who is about to be DEVASTATED by this planned change. Her whole existence is because of the League and it's a very good story. Whatever you rewrite in there will ruin her in comparison.

RainbowWhooves

09-05-2014

if they get rid of the leauge out of nowhere riot pretty much JUST destroyed ALL ionian champs lores considering the fact they were only there to be safe from noxus as a reasult of noxian ionian war ANTOHER even riot would destroy also if they want to advance the story just make it so the rule you cant attack another country in the leauge is revoked would get the lore pretty far in my opinon

Amerlect

09-06-2014

Riot, please consider this, it's so much better than erasing the League.

Zeta

09-06-2014

No, it's always easier to start a new story from the beginning rather than build on what came before. REBOOT! REBOOT! NEW 52!

Managable

09-06-2014

new 52? more like new 140+ in this case lmao

Impetual

09-07-2014

Quote:
McHotcakes:

My question for Riot is why erase the league from the story? You could easily get rid of the league without completely erasing it from existence.

This would make much more sense, without trampling as hard on the fans of the old lore. For some reason Riot has decided not to do things this way. Weird, stupid, and messed up.

khemetjp

09-07-2014

I had the same idea, with the inspiration coming from what GW2 did to Lions Arch.

If I could choose how to do this I would tie it to an event like the Freljord one. Players have been excited by the void for a long time and I think a void based event would work great. A cool cinematic of the void champions tearing down the league, overcoming opposition of Kassadin and some allies would make a great kick off to the event. It would excite players for the changes far more than a retcon ever could and still move the story forward in the way they want.

Considering the amount of work and planning this would take though I expect it is out of the question.

Levik

09-07-2014

I think that the main problem with Riot's current storytelling is that it is focused on Champion interactions rather than City-State interactions. The Institute of War and the League of Legends allows Riot's storytelling to focus on the whole of Valoran, through League disputes and inter/inner-conflict, to give character and stories to each Champion. Furthermore, both of those entities allow for this type of story to be told within the game. How awesome would it be if Riot implemented a system that allowed for us to solve a land dispute between Noxus and Demacia? Or even the entrance of the Shadow Isles or the Void into the League? The individual Champion stories would be told through which Champions that Summoners could utilize for both sides of the dispute. For example, Zilian would oppose the entrance of the Void, because of his history with Vel'Koz, so he would lend himself to the opposing party. However, someone like Noxus, whose ideology is survival of the fittest, could forge a lose alliance and lend its Champions to the Void's aid.

I have outlined many more aspects that I believe Riot is ignoring in this document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cAxhDkC2t2Gu96z5PANGc_6r2OKQvsz9Z5H1Ywryrss/edit?usp=sharing). Please feel free to comment on it here or on this thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4844987).

My goal is to help make League of Legends the best possible game and I believe that cannot be accomplished if Riot separates gameplay and storytelling.

Amerlect

09-07-2014

Seriously. This is much better than whatever **** they're doing.