Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So with the recent lore changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trolosaurus

09-05-2014

What does this mean for all the fanfics who are suddenly no longer canon

Whitakker

09-05-2014

As far as I'm concerned now, anything we write may just as well be canon. If Riot doesn't care, what's to stop us from coming up with our own stories now? I was always of the firm belief that the story should have been handed over to the Community a long time ago.

Catbat

09-05-2014

Doesn't matter if it is canon or not, so long as it is a good story.

SkarnerScorpion

09-05-2014

im pretty sure nothings ever been canon in fanfiction

Motajo

09-05-2014

We keep chugging. If nothing else, the fanfics will serve as a nice memory of past lore, even if the stories themselves weren't truly canon.

Ark Angel HFB

09-05-2014

I'm stilling writing as if there is a power Institute at the heart of Valoran... and they can't stop me.

My Head canon is my own. It is a nice place and anyone who wants to join me there is a free to grab a chair and sit a while.

If the new lore turns out good then great. If it is trash then great.

It won't change how I see my version of Valoran... and it shouldn't change how you all see yours.

The Lore is ours and we know it... Riot gave it up with the removal of the JoJ.

Aloice

09-05-2014

How I look at it, from my own perspective. Strictly IMHO, slightly incoherent, hopefully it could help some people.

I used to write for the Homestuck fandom. Homestuck was a webcomic that, for years, were updated daily. Everyone who wrote for it, me included, knew their content could easily be retconned, but yet we all wrote in earnest anyway.

Did I have a favorite character whose motivations and personality were completely changed as the source material was updated? Yes. Did I lose sight of characters that I used to love? Yes. I moved on from Homestuck, I'm not writing fics for that fandom anymore, but I still love and care about the fics I wrote that have since been retconned, because I know the feelings I had about the characters as they were back when I wrote the fics were passionate and genuine. The characters mattered to me. I had real feels that kept me up at night. So now, even if nothing is the same anymore, I can still look back at my fics and smile. Andrew Hussie don't own my feelings. Those are my own.

Did I consider moving on from League Lore in the past two days? Yes. Am I moving on? No. Even if Riot changes Ezreal to someone I can no longer recognize, I still don't think their Ezreal would be any more legitimate than mine. If anything, my vision of Ezreal is more important to me, and that's the Ezreal that I will continue to love and write about. I'm of the firm belief that all lore that has been shown to us so far are only small windows to champions' personalities, so even if those small windows get changed, the larger pieces of them that I put together for myself should not change. Of course, this applies more for champions with stable lores like Diana than champions with less stable lores like Brand, but who says you have to throw the current Brand away from your heart just because Riot's Brand isn't the same anymore? Riot doesn't own your feelings. You do. Love whoever you want to love, no one can stop you. Maybe you'll stay forever in love with the current Brand, maybe you'll fall in love again with the new Brand that Riot would have to invent, maybe your Brand is somewhere in between. I don't know. But all I know is that fic writers are more than capable to invent their own vision of the story in addition to reading what is provided to them. No fic strictly adheres to everything in the source material - if it does, then it isn't really fic anymore.

KeydiamX

09-06-2014

Right now I'm writing on a Ahri and Leona fanfiction. And just read up on Ahri's lore..how could I change that now? She asked the League for help, so...what is she doing now, without the League? Had she just continued to kill people? Is she a real human right now?

I'm honest here: I don't care about this lore change anymore and it will not change my own view on Valoran. The League of Legends, the summoners and everything around it, is a part of Valoran for me, and I will not change my fanfictions now, only because someone stupid decided to pull the rug out from under my feet.

Maybe in some future fanfictions I will change it. But, this 'maybe' is a real big 'maybe' because erasing the League changes much. The whole background story isn't relevant anymore (Rune Wars, founding of the League because of the massive magical destruction).

Examples: Ionia vs Noxus. The whole conflict doesn't make any sense anymore, because without the League we all know they both would just continue to smash each other heads. And hell many champions don't have a lore behind them anymore (Kayle, Fiddlesticks, Jax).

End of story: I don't care about this change. It will not change my view on Valoran, and I will continue to give some champions a background why they would join the League right now.

Ark Angel HFB

09-08-2014

Quote:
KeydiamX:
Examples: Ionia vs Noxus. The whole conflict doesn't make any sense anymore, because without the League we all know they both would just continue to smash each other heads. And hell many champions don't have a lore behind them anymore (Kayle, Fiddlesticks, Jax).

I don't think that conflict even happened anymore... like Riot won't even tell us where we are in the time line.

Is lux 3... is Annie even born yet. Has Swain taken over Noxus... is there even a swain.

What are the old Noxus leaders that only fell during a League related plot arc...

Is Kat's father back in the picture.

xXTitaniaXx

09-16-2014

First the graphics, now the lore.
I know bunch of people that liked League' new graphics and bunch that detested.
With the lore will be the same thing, some will like and some will hate. Why? Because they already loved the old story, the old champs, the old lore, the originals League. I too don't want League to change, but what if it does change? Will I change my own thoughts about it? No, I'll keep seeing it the way it made me love it, even if Riot change it at point of being ridiculously different.
So why would the fics change? We'll just keep writing what we want, even if the original lore doesn't exist anymore.