Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How To Trade As Riven Early Game?!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PyroPlayer00

09-04-2014

So Ive been playing a lot of Riven lately and one of my worst things that I can improve on is how to trade as riven early game. Early game when I try to fight my opponent I usually try to go all in or I'll go in with the standard q-aa and run away but a lot of times I am taking way too much minion agro and the minions + the other champ end up doing more damage to me then I did to the enemy champion, is there a smarter way to trade as riven?

Am I suppose to dash in then stun then proceed with the q-aa-q-aa-q-aa and run away on the last knock up? Or do I save my dash and go in with q? Any tips would be appreciated

TotalAbyss

09-04-2014

red pot level 3 go all in.

Remhouse

09-05-2014

The best way to trade has Riven is to auto-attacks in between your Q. Then proceed to knock them up for a brief moment + stun them then dash out with the shield.

Basically, you can cancel the attack animation while doing the damage with your Q. So you Q in their direction, auto-attack them, as soon as the damage appear, you re Q, aa, re Q, W, aa + E out. By this time if you took the good trade... they should dead or near being dead so you'll burn their flash and they'll have to recall.

CountPain

09-05-2014

The interesting thing about Riven's kit is that there doesn't have to be a "standard" way that you trade. It's up to you how you want to engage, and based on the creep wave, you would want to do so in different ways.

If the wave is pushing towards the enemy (you have more creeps), you want to initiate with Q, auto, Q + W, auto, Q, (auto again if you can), then E away. This gives you a large amount of damage in a small window, and since the wave is pushing against the enemy, any retaliation on their part will earn them extra damage from the creep wave.

Alternately, if the creep wave is pushing towards you (they have more creeps), you want to initiate with E + Q, auto, Q + W, then use your last Q to get away. Initiating with the E gives you a shield against any immediate retaliation, and using your W in the middle of the combo will stun the wave, preventing some more of the extra damage that you could take from trading in the middle of a creep wave. You don't get quite as much damage with this combo, but it's more safe in a lane that you're having trouble with.