Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The truth about the shortened PBE lore (tl;dr It's canon)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Opeli

Associate Writer

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
Imagine you're a new player and you see this champion called "Amumu" during free week. "Aww, he's a sad mummy" you say to yourself. Interested, you look up more about him in the client and the first words you read are "Amumu is an animated cadaver that is very sad."

Would you click the link to the main lore page? I probably wouldn't.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. I'd totally click on that!

ETA: WELP THAT DIDN'T GO OVER WELL. I tried to diffuse the anger with a ****ty joke and guess what? Bad jokes are bad, especially in a sensitive context like this. Sorry about that.

Anyways, happy to see this discussion going on here. I don't have too many new things to say - I'm kind of spent between Twitter and our Boards. Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring this thread. It feels a bit pointless, to be totally honest, because we can't make everyone happy. Older lore fans (I'm generalizing - bear with me) want the old stuff back and for us to undo this change. Going forward with this change in any capacity will make you guys unhappy.

The only thing we can do at this point is explain our reasoning and engage with you and hope you trust us. If you don't, that's fine. But I know the team is interested in making our relationship right.

Sharjo

09-04-2014

Quote:
Riot Opeli:

Anyways, happy to see this discussion going on here. I don't have too many new things to say - I'm kind of spent between Twitter and our Boards. Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring this thread. It feels a bit pointless, to be totally honest, because we can't make everyone happy. Older lore fans (I'm generalizing - bear with me) want the old stuff back and for us to undo this change. Going forward with this change in any capacity will make you guys unhappy.

The only thing we can do at this point is explain our reasoning and engage with you and hope you trust us. If you don't, that's fine. But I know the team is interested in making our relationship right.

HOLY **** A RIOTER ON THE LORE FORUMS THE PROMISED DAY HAS COME!

On a more serious note, the fact you guys recognize the fact some people won't dig the direction you've taken is good. You guys know this is gonna step on some toes, but you believe the outcome will be worth it. I'm personally putting my faith in this, since I'm a patient guy and I just want more lore related stuff!

Thanks for stopping buy and dropping a comment, it's been a while!

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-04-2014

Quote:
Riot Opeli:

Opeli, you seem cool. It's awesome that you're posting here, it's been over 5 months, iirc, since Kitae made the last Red Post on the Lore Forums.

I have a question, though. You've just announced that you're removing the idea of summoners and the Institute of War, the Fields of Justice, and the League of Legends from League of Legends.

Please, can you give any explanation on why this change was made? I don't mean to be whiny, but for people like me who have been around since Season 1, talked about lore, happily participated in these forums to talk about the idea of the League, etc., it's really a punch in the gut. How are you going to have League of Legends without the League of Legends?

Redeemed In Fire

09-04-2014

Quote:
Riot Opeli:

When no words will affect a change, and no change that could be affected will be palatable... What's the point anymore? I can't talk about design because nothing I say will have an impact, I can't talk about Dominion because ****ing nobody cares about dominion, and now I can't talk about the lore because nothing I say will have an impact.

I think I might be gone. Still thinking about it, but eh. If I come back it will be with the clarity to accept what I love is dead and find the interesting parts of the new entity that Riot somehow believes will adequately replace the old one. It's been a mostly fun ride.

Professor LOL

09-04-2014

Amumu's new lore is comically short of, uh, lore. Two sentences in which we learn that Amumu is 1. Dead and 2. Sad. I am curious how long it took to write.

Banuvan

09-04-2014

Quote:
Riot Opeli:

Your first line completely negates any type of credibility you might be trying to build.

Second, by the response on the forums you should know by now that you aren't just irking a few people with this change.

Third, your reasoning at it's most basic level is "we are changing it because we don't like it".

Fourth, you speak of trust yet I don't know if you actually understand the communication and trust that the community had for Riot. When you mention lore you will inevitably get jokes about it. You must ask yourself why that is? Is it because lore was completely thrown to the wayside years ago and has become even worse than the servers over time? The answer is yes.

Then you have today where out of the blue you say you are going to absolutely destroy the entire foundation that League of Legends was built on for no simple reason other than you aren't creative enough to think of a way to incorporate anything new into it. I hate to tell you described it exactly when you stated it seems lazy.

It smells like a disgusting half assed job that we have come to expect from Riot over the years.

TheMeta88

09-04-2014

Quote:
LordHippoman:
Opeli, you seem cool. It's awesome that you're posting here, it's been over 5 months, iirc, since Kitae made the last Red Post on the Lore Forums.

I have a question, though. You've just announced that you're removing the idea of summoners and the Institute of War, the Fields of Justice, and the League of Legends from League of Legends.

Please, can you give any explanation on why this change was made? I don't mean to be whiny, but for people like me who have been around since Season 1, talked about lore, happily participated in these forums to talk about the idea of the League, etc., it's really a punch in the gut. How are you going to have League of Legends without the League of Legends?

Essentially his response on other threads is that the lore is separate from the game and that they are basically cutting the strings between the lore and the gameplay.

So Garen isn't fighting his sister, Lux, on the fields of justice because he was SUMMONED by a SUMMONER on SUMMONER'S RIFT for the greater good of Runeterra.

Character X is fighting Character Y because **** IT! GAMEPLAY!

Banuvan

09-04-2014

Quote:
LordHippoman:

Opeli explained it with "we don't like it so we are changing it". I'm not pulling your leg. That is the basis of what they said. It's sad.

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-04-2014

Guys/Gals, don't jump down her throat so quick. Give her a chance to explain these changes. I can promise you, there are few people as shocked by the removal of summoners as us on the Lore forum, but I'm willing to give Opeli a shot at explaining these changes.

EDIT: I just read the post below me from Meta88.

Yeah, sorry, I'm done with this.

TheMeta88

09-04-2014

Quote:
Good questions. Taking the League/Institute out of the world in no way changes the relationships between the factions and cultures of Runeterra -- you can be sure those will remain and get explored more fully. (Noxus and Ionia are still enemies [that happens when you get invaded].) And, of course, it allows for both the threat and the reality of armed conflict.

But the impact isn't limited to those things. Nations interact with each other in all sorts of ways, right? There's the public stuff -- ambassadors, consulates, official statements; then there's the less public stuff -- communications from one leader to another, negotiations, etc. And then there's the really underground stuff -- spying, covert ops, blackmail, assassination. And that's all before we even get into the various forms actual war can take.

I think you'll see that we're now going to have freedom to tell stories including any or all of that stuff that we never would have been able to tell within the original framework of the game. Cross-regional conflict will definitely be on the table, and I think we're as eager to explore the Noxus-Ionia enmity and what's going on in the Freljord as you are. (Remember, we're all LoL lore fans, too.)

Source: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com...mment=00b20001 (http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/riot-official/6TxWksvF-dev-blog-exploring-runeterra?comment=00b20001)

Quote:
I mean, why is it imperative that a 5v5 game is deeply connected to our characters? Can they not be enjoyed on their own, or separately? The point of separating them, although it's not clear now, is to give the champions better stories and to care about them more. You keep assuming we're doing this because we don't care or we're lazy or we (fill in the blank) but you aren't trying to consider why this might be a positive. It sucks to have something change, but not all change is the worst thing ever.

"It's just a game" is NOT the attitude. I frickin' love League. I love the game. I like knowing about the champion I'm playing, which is a thing you'll still get to experience. The core experience of supporting a champion with a backstory, personality, and motivations has not disappeared. They just aren't permanently tied to this UN of Runeterra anymore.

Source: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com...00000000040000 (http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/GPEPBymN-riot-it-should-be-pretty-clear-now-that-the-community-is-enraged-by-your-decisions-involving-lore?comment=00020000000000010000000000040000)