Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The truth about the shortened PBE lore (tl;dr It's canon)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharjo

09-04-2014

Quote:
OuttaControl56:
They could pop in and tell us they have something in development....

That would immediately change the moral of this forum and faith in Lore. But no, they're vague and uncertain, of course we're going do doubt them.

I really wanna believe..... ;___________;

I don't want to stick words in her mouth or implicate Opeli, cuz she seems like a nice woman and that'd be hella disrespectful from me, so let me say that in response to the tweet above, which can be found here:

https://twitter.com/RiotOpeli/status/507394744872624128 (https://twitter.com/RiotOpeli/status/507394744872624128)

She goes on to explain the rationale and also mentions why nothing much is heard from our lore makers nowerdays. Again, I ain't calling out Opeli, just want everyone to get a good read so they know the entire context of this. And again, thank you OP for showing the source, helped me understand the situation a lot better.

Gentleman Gaston

09-04-2014

Wait, what. How are people upset about this. We get two pieces of lore. Wasn't this exactly what we were asking for? Well, it's what I was asking for, at any rate.

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:
So, there seems to be this divide between the two means of lore we've been getting as of late. There's the typical bio that we're very familiar with: a short summary of the champion's origin and their motivations. Additionally we've been getting character pieces recently (see: Vel'Koz and post reworks). The difference being that character pieces aren't third person omniscient (meaning they aren't a narrator telling you about the character), but rather are first person or a variation of that (field reports, journals, etc.). These pieces also don't give you a complete image of the character as you would with a bio, in that a bio is a very simplified characterization (for the most part), but rather seem to be the prologue or introduction to a longer character driven narrative.

The issue seems to be that people are becoming frustrated because they don't feel like the character pieces are communicating character well enough to substitute the limited characterization of a bio. This becomes especially difficult when the reworked champions receive lore that doesn't match up with their original versions, leaving questions about which blanks we (the players) can fill in.

Both formats for story serve different purposes: the bio establishes a "quick and dirty" version of the character, allowing players who just want to know the bare bones of who they're playing before they purchase them, whereas the character pieces allow for more detailed and elaborate characterization and potential world-building. I don't think these formats are mutually exclusive, but rather should be working in tandem with each other to provide a rich and understandable backstory for champions.

I imagine there will be a link in the client that says "Hey! If you want to go read more on this champion click this link and go to their character page!" allowing the player to engage with the character at their discretion. I mean, when was the last time you read a character's lore in the client as opposed to the website or the Wiki? Is this truly that big of a deal?

Also, please don't be jerks to Opeli, or any of the Creative people. Whatever thread she may or may not end up popping into treat her with respect and don't start slinging insults around or making personal attacks. Hopefully none of you would do so anyway, but I feel like it's important to say regardless.

Sharjo

09-04-2014

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:
Snipped but a good read none the less

I honestly couldn't agree with you more Gaston. I'm eager to here from Opeli regardless of what she has to say though.

IMTOOJUICY

09-04-2014

Just read the tweet and I think Opeli's viewpoint is right. Myself, I am a pretty big lore fan but I haven't bothered to look at ANY of the lore pages in-game. Anecdotal evidence, yeah, but the game moves too fast. I can't imagine anyone reading a novella while CS'ing, you know?

The short little blurbs for the in-game bios would have to be catchy, however. Hook you in. Something grabby that would make you want to click on a link to the website.

KATARINA: Noxus assassin who likes to prance around in skimpy cat girl suit in her spare time, CLICK HERE FOR PICS AND STORY.

FuryOfAnon

09-04-2014

Quote:
GenociderX:

Sigh, lore is what brought me to this game. And I started this year, but I saw how they did lore back then and I did have "high hopes" for what they were gonna do in the future....but man...

Ditto man. I started playing years ago when they still had awesome lore though. The days of the JoJ you know.
When Renekton first came out i fell in love with his character, design and mechanics. And every game i went top lane against a Nasus was the greatest. Cause me and the other guy would just role play the entire game and even use our ultimates at the same time. Truly those times were glorious.

You dont see that stuff in game any more :/

TerraRising

09-04-2014

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:

I imagine there will be a link in the client that says "Hey! If you want to go read more on this champion click this link and go to their character page!" allowing the player to engage with the character at their discretion. I mean, when was the last time you read a character's lore in the client as opposed to the website or the Wiki? Is this truly that big of a deal?

Imagine you're a new player and you see this champion called "Amumu" during free week. "Aww, he's a sad mummy" you say to yourself. Interested, you look up more about him in the client and the first words you read are "Amumu is an animated cadaver that is very sad."

Would you click the link to the main lore page? I probably wouldn't.

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:
Also, please don't be jerks to Opeli, or any of the Creative people. Whatever thread she may or may not end up popping into treat her with respect and don't start slinging insults around or making personal attacks. Hopefully none of you would do so anyway, but I feel like it's important to say regardless.

This I agree with 100%.

Gentleman Gaston

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
Imagine you're a new player and you see this champion called "Amumu" during free week. "Aww, he's a sad mummy" you say to yourself. Interested, you look up more about him in the client and the first words you read are "Amumu is an animated cadaver that is very sad."

Would you click the link to the main lore page? I probably wouldn't.

On the flip side, imagine you're a new player and you see this champion called "Amumu" during free week. You look up more about him on the client and are hit in the face with a wall of text. Not interested in reading a wall of text you leave.

Perhaps the shorter bios could use some punching up in flavor and embelishment to really catch a new player's attention and drive them to read a longer piece, but I do think that going from Short > Big pieces is much friendlier to a new player who may not be super interested in the lore to start with.

TerraRising

09-04-2014

Quote:
Gentleman Gaston:
On the flip side, imagine you're a new player and you see this champion called "Amumu" during free week. You look up more about him on the client and are hit in the face with a wall of text. Not interested in reading a wall of text you leave.

I can actually agree with this, but the compromise would have to be an interesting paragraph or story and not something as trite and silly as what's been posted on the PBE

SecretLore

09-04-2014

Overall I think this is the right direction,because it is like gg said,people look at the lore page are hit with a wall of text and leave.
This is actually what I did when I first started the game.
I wasn't that interested in LoL back then,was like "hm i could start reading some lore" saw the wall of text and left.
Only later I started to get interested in the lore.

Gentleman Gaston

09-04-2014

Okay, so I was pretty sure of this but I'm glad we've got a confirmation from Riot Entropy that the primary reason is a coding issue:

Quote:
Riot Entropy:
I can confirm that those single paragraph summaries are not intended to be a wholesale replacement of old lore, they exist to be high level summary of the character designed to populate the Lore section within the current client. The longer form lore pieces will still live on the Champion pages outside of the client and continue to be published there. The reason for moving these pieces is because the architecture of the code that populates the Lore pane (and other data) was built with very explicit parameters in mind and attempts to expand beyond those have been painful. We're not going to continue trying to force the material into the system (and occasionally break it in amusing ways), but that doesn't mean we aren't investigating alternatives.

You may have seen the recent discussion on updates to the client in general. Creating a space for the longer form stories (and other media)to live comfortably are also a part of that ongoing development.