Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


The truth about the shortened PBE lore (tl;dr It's canon)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TerraRising

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Apparently, the new "placeholder" lores in the PBE client is what will be released once the Shurima patch goes live.

Full stories will be available on the website.

The idea from Riot is that the shortened lore will somehow entice non-lore fans into reading the full story.

Sorry to tell any of you who still had high aspirations from Riot's Narrative Design department.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GenociderX

Senior Member

09-04-2014

....I don't understand,
Riot had something good going on. If non- lore people never looked at lore, they still won't, especially when its been shortened. All these other new moba games are deeply connected to lore and Riot is just handing their players half-cooked up indecisive image of a story. Just take a look at the new game Strife.
As I say again, how is this "TLC" for lore? To one, this almost look like Riot is mocking lore fans.
It sux, and I read that post that contain a rioter who stop by and talked with us about how lore "would take ages to make because of all the different languages" I also read his response to you Terra in particular. He defended that so much, but what can he possibly say now?
"So yeah, we focused on lore like you asked, but none of us actually felt like writing novels. So you can have fun with the new shortened lore."
Sigh, lore is what brought me to this game. And I started this year, but I saw how they did lore back then and I did have "high hopes" for what they were gonna do in the future....but man...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharjo

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
Apparently, the new "placeholder" lores in the PBE client is what will be released once the Shurima patch goes live.

Full stories will be available on the website.

The idea from Riot is that the shortened lore will somehow entice non-lore fans into reading the full story.

Sorry to tell any of you who still had high aspirations from Riot's Narrative Design department.


Source?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OuttaControl56

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
Apparently, the new "placeholder" lores in the PBE client is what will be released once the Shurima patch goes live.

Full stories will be available on the website.

The idea from Riot is that the shortened lore will somehow entice non-lore fans into reading the full story.

Sorry to tell any of you who still had high aspirations from Riot's Narrative Design department.



Please for the love of everything forestry and green on this blue planet, NO.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharjo

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
Apparently, the new "placeholder" lores in the PBE client is what will be released once the Shurima patch goes live.

Full stories will be available on the website.

The idea from Riot is that the shortened lore will somehow entice non-lore fans into reading the full story.

Sorry to tell any of you who still had high aspirations from Riot's Narrative Design department.


I'm gonna keep pestering about this. Where's this coming from? Where's your source?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TerraRising

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
Sharjo:
I'm gonna keep pestering about this. Where's this coming from? Where's your source?


https://twitter.com/RiotOpeli/status/507495647269122048

Please be kind. We don't want to chase yet another Rioter away from here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharjo

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
TerraRising:
https://twitter.com/RiotOpeli/status/507495647269122048


ok thanks for the source, was helpful to know what was said. As far as Opeli knows they're sticking the full lore on the main website.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the reformatting of the client they're doing. That'd be my reason at any rate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-04-2014

I did the big ranty post thing last night. So I'm just sorta out of energy, and complaining won't help much, so I'll just say, super disappointed. Glad the full lores will still be around, but it feels like we're getting shafted yet again.

On the bright side, now I can play Guilt Free DOTA! (kidding, I wasn't feeling guilty, it's silly to feel guilty about playing other games, etc., disclaimer.)

EDIT: It's also a bit confusing to me that Riot employees are worried about posting here, when they regularly post on GD, where everyone is told to kill themselves at a rate of ten APM (Arseholes Per Minute). We're pretty civilized.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sharjo

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
LordHippoman:
I did the big ranty post thing last night. So I'm just sorta out of energy, and complaining won't help much, so I'll just say, super disappointed. Glad the full lores will still be around, but it feels like we're getting shafted yet again.

EDIT: It's also a bit confusing to me that Riot employees are worried about posting here, when they regularly post on GD, where everyone is told to kill themselves at a rate of ten APM (Arseholes Per Minute). We're pretty civilized.


To touch on both these points, it may just be they want to put everything in one place, and they decided the client wasn't the place. Putting it all on the website lets them streamline ****, but that's me theorizing though, so don't take it as gospel.

Also Riot's not just one entity with a bunch of employees, but has a bunch of different teams. Those Rioters have other commitments that mean they post on stuff that's relevant to them more often than not. It's more or less the Rioters who do the lore writing, composing, or whatever word you would use for that, who don't bring this up here.

Another point to consider: If you're writing a big old story, talking about it during development kinda spoils the whole point in some regard. Bare face going "This is our plan for how the story will go" makes any story made afterwards kinda moot, right?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OuttaControl56

Senior Member

09-04-2014

Quote:
Sharjo:
To touch on both these points, it may just be they want to put everything in one place, and they decided the client wasn't the place. Putting it all on the website lets them streamline ****, but that's me theorizing though, so don't take it as gospel.

Also Riot's not just one entity with a bunch of employees, but has a bunch of different teams. Those Rioters have other commitments that mean they post on stuff that's relevant to them more often than not. It's more or less the Rioters who do the lore writing, composing, or whatever word you would use for that, who don't bring this up here.

Another point to consider: If you're writing a big old story, talking about it during development kinda spoils the whole point in some regard. Bare face going "This is our plan for how the story will go" makes any story made afterwards kinda moot, right?


They could pop in and tell us they have something in development....

That would immediately change the moral of this forum and faith in Lore. But no, they're vague and uncertain, of course we're going do doubt them.

I really wanna believe..... ;___________;