Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

MTG Champion Creation Contest w/ RP Reward

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oventoasted

09-04-2014

Table of Contents
I. Introdution
II. Prizes
III. How to Enter
IV. Champion Requirements and Judging Rubric
V. Name and Title
VI. Role
VII. Abilities
VIII. Lore
IX. Stats
X. Gameplay Section
XI. Bonus Points
XII. Timeline

I. Introduction
Quote:
So, I'm sure most of us have seen the fan-made Magic: the Gathering cards based on League of Legends champions. For this contest, we're going the other direction. Your goal for this contest is to create a League of Legends champion based on a legendary creature or Planeswalker from Magic: the Gathering. You already have the name and concept, so you just have to finish fleshing out your character with lore, telling how they came from their plane of existence to Runeterra, and how they became part of the League of Legends. You also need to come up with stats, their role, and an ability kit that fits the character well. Don't just make things up and hope that it's good enough. Do some research on your character, and take your time to make sure that their lore and abilities really fit with them. There is a lot more information out there than just the cards, and if you can't seem to find anything about your character, you can always pick another one. So, without further ado, let's get on to the rules, requirements, and that kind of stuff.

II. Prizes
Quote:
1st place: $35 in RP (5000 RP)
2nd place: $10 in RP (1380 RP)
3rd place: $5 in RP (650 RP)

III. How to Enter
Quote:
Simply state that you are entering. You don't have to pick a character yet, however availability is on a first come first serve type thing.

IV. Champion Requirements and Judging Rubric
Quote:
Champions will be judged on a 100-point rubric. This rubric may change before the actual judging (this is my first contest hosting), but will be finalized the week before judging to give participants time to adjust to any major changes.

V. Name and Title
Quote:
No points are given or taken away for the name and title, but it is required to enter the contest. The name and title must be the same as the card. If a single character has multiple titles or cards, pick any of them. Only one participant per character (that means per named character, regardless of title, set, etc.).

VI. Role
Quote:
Like with name and title, no points are given or taken away for the role. You need one to be eligible to win. This is for two reasons: 1) It gives context to your champion's kit. I would look at a support kit differently than I would an assassin or a marksman. You may have multiple roles, within reason. A good rule of thumb is that if your champion can fill more than two or three roles, you might be trying to do too much. Again, no points are given or taken away. As long as you have at least one role, you're good.

VII. Abilities - 50 Points
Quote:
Abilities make up half of your score, as they are the core representation of the character. Things I'm looking for in abilities are:
Balanced: 2 points
Fun to use: 2 points
Original: 2 points
Interesting counter play: 2 points
How well the ability represents your character: 2 points

Passive- 10 points
Q- 10 points
W- 10 points
E- 10 points
R- 10 points

VIII. Lore - 25 points
Quote:
There is no requirement as far as length. The important thing is that you tell a story without going on with a lot of extra detail. A super long or short lore will not disqualify you, but you will not get full points if don't give enough, or if you go to the extra-long extreme. If you're not sure your lore is too long or too short, ask and I'll give a response as soon as I can. Also, please proofread your work.
Things I'm looking for in lore are:
Explanation of how your character ended up in Runeterra: 5 points
Why did they come to the League of Legends: 5 points
Grammar and Spelling: 2 points
Enough, but not too much: 3 points
Overall flow and feel of the story: 10

IX. Stats - 10 points
Quote:
Stats are simple. Just have numbers that make sense. You shouldn't have something that is 1/5 on the card be an assassin in league.(usually).

Balanced- 5 points
Makes sense- 5 points

X. Gameplay Section - 15 points
Quote:
You don't necessarily need to include a gameplay section. If your concept has a clear concept (for instance, taking advantage of the long cooldowns that burst champions usually have), then you don't have to write it out. It is, however, strongly advised. Rule of thumb: If you don't think it's obvious, or if other people are telling you it's not obvious, you should type it out.
In the gameplay category, I look for:
Playing as: 5 points
Playing with (on same team): 5 points
Playing against: 5 points

XI. Bonus Points - 10 points
Quote:
Bonus points are not required, and should usually be done last.
Suggested Items: 5 points
Quotes: 5 points

These will be judged mainly on level of completeness.

XII. Timeline
Sept 4th - Sept 18th
Quote:
Research and character selection. During this time, participants can research and choose their character. Take this time to really dig into your character's lore, and choose a character that you really like. Remember, you can use the cards, books, online references, and any other non-fan made information to flesh out your champion profile.

This is also a good time to start considering what role the character will fill and the lore, abilities, and play style of your champion. Participants must choose a character by the end of this time period and the choice cannot change after this time. Anyone without a character choice by the end of this time will be disqualified. No exceptions. No extensions.

Sept 19th - Oct 3rd
Quote:
Creation Period. During this time, participants will create and post their champion abilities, lore, and other requirements. Participants must have a complete champion profile by the end of this time period. Any participant without a complete profile will be disqualified. No exceptions. No extensions.

Oct 4th - Oct 10th
Quote:
Finishing Week. During this time, participants will add numbers to their champion abilities if they have not yet done so. They will also proofread their lore, abilities, and gameplay sections. At the end of this time period, submissions are final. This is the time to ask questions if you have not already.

Oct 11 - Nov 2
Quote:
Judgement Period. During this time, judging will take place. No more editing can be done. No more questions will be answered (until after judging, of course). Judging will be completed as soon as possible, and may be finished before the final date. Disputes will be heard, but change of judgement is at the discretion of the judge(s).

Well, hopefully you're still here. I know that was kind of long. Hopefully we get some really creative submissions. Good Luck.

Oventoasted

09-04-2014

Entrants

Quote:
Kamiroo Wolf - Ajani Goldmane
alpha8predetor66 - disqualified
Tolang - Opal-eye, Konda's Yojimbo
IcOnRaendor - disqualified
copperpoint - withdrawn
iStorm - Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
Tristamwolf - Niv Mizzet, Dracogenius
KawaiiPrince - Venser, Shaper Savant
Raptamei - Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
NyX Reks - Akuta, Born of Ash
Zeralyos - Thraximundar
BlindXSide - Elesh Norn, the Grand Cenobite
MiaoLong - Zhao Zilong, the Tiger General
The Core Augur - Stitcher Geralf
ElementLlama - Tezzeret
Herzinth - Ashling the Pilgrim/the Extinguisher
Lysejack - disqualified
Still Eternity - Nekusar, the Mindrazer
PandaWhistle - Vraska, the Unseen
proXc - Brothers Yamazaki
Count Chainsaw - Horobi, Death's Wail
RamsaySnow - Ral Zarek
MagykMancer - Koth, the Alloy

Oventoasted

09-04-2014

Updates:
1. So, I realize now that the time periods I set are a little long. Since this is the first contest, I think I'll leave them as is, but in future contests (each one will have a different theme, I think. Maybe I'll put a poll and the community can vote on the next one. ) I think I'll actually shorten the first block of time once this contest gains popularity.

2. 9/12
So guys. I've picked up an extra work day, so I'm not going to be paying as much attention to this thread (you may have already noticed, or not). I'll check it at least once per day, probably close to the end of the day. So, if you make a request, or if there are new entrants, I might not make the change right away, but fear not, I'll get it done probably around the end of the night.

3. 9/13
Just a reminder for those of you who haven't picked a character yet- You need to have one by the 12:01 am on 9/19 or you will be disqualified. No extensions. No exceptions. Check to make sure that I have gotten your submission down. I looked through the forum, and I think I got everyone, but check to make sure.

4. 9/19
All entries are now closed. Those of you without a champion selected are disqualified. Let me know if I have made a mistake.

5. 9/28
So, 5 more days before the end of the creation period. I'm going to begin looking over the entries. I'll be doing brief overviews of each entry. Some may be longer than others, but most shouldn't be more than a paragraph or so. Keep in mind that these reviews are just going to be some thoughts on overall champion mechanics, overall balance, synergy, and adaption to league. These reviews are just here to make sure that everyone is keeping their goals clear and on the right track. I'm going to release the preliminary reviews on the day beginning finishing week, so please don't pester me for them to come early. Good luck in the closing weeks of competition!

Kamiroo Wolf

09-04-2014

I've never played Magic. Every time I've tried it fails to download but I'd still like to enter and try.

Edit:

I'd like to call Ajani Goldmane, I guess.

Tolang

Recruiter

09-04-2014

Quote:
Kamiroo Wolf:
I've never played Magic. Every time I've tried it fails to download but I'd still like to enter and try.

There are physical cards btw. :P Anyways, this sounds interesting and as a, once, avid MTG player, I'd like to give it a try.

alpha8predetor66

09-04-2014

yes yes yes entered

Oventoasted

09-05-2014

Woohoo. I was a little worried that this post wasn't getting any attention. Glad to see there are a few people out there

Kamiroo Wolf

09-05-2014

Quote:
Oventoasted:
Woohoo. I was a little worried that this post wasn't getting any attention. Glad to see there are a few people out there

I'm actually almost done with my concept xD. These contests are fun and Ajani is especially interesting to work with.

Oventoasted

09-05-2014

Quote:
Kamiroo Wolf:
I'm actually almost done with my concept xD. These contests are fun and Ajani is especially interesting to work with.

It's great that you already have a concept, but make sure you take the time to polish it up. Your competitors are going to be doing their best, too. ^_^

IcOnRaendor

09-05-2014

I thought this would be really loaded with people wanted to participate. I must say, I don't know much about M:TG, but I know a lot about League and I have like 20-something working concepts. I could always find one and apply it to a M:TG character, if possible. I wish I could do multiple concepts, because it'd be a hard choice.

That leads me to this: May I still enter?