Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@GhostCrawler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

g07h4xf00

09-03-2014

Quote:
SaltyTeemo4Life:
I think that this change have nothing to do with balance.

The goal was to make LCS more entertaining but in the end it didn't even accomplish that.

Yeah LCS games are pretty much decided on picks/bans now unless one team is clearly superior to the other team.

That's how C9 lost they ****ed up champ select 3 times

Saires

09-03-2014

Quote:
Kagami:
you good sir have never played WoW.

Frost Mages, Hunters, and Warlocks were way more frustrating to deal with in PvP as a melee class than any ranged is league.

did you miss release Jayce+Elise and Nida ?

g07h4xf00

09-03-2014

Quote:
Saires:
did you miss release Jayce+Elise and Nida ?

So fucking broken.

Even re-release Nidalee is cancerous as fuck

AntiSkillshot

09-03-2014

Quote:
Ghostcrawler:
Yeah, she needs nerfing. Realistically it is unlikely to happen before worlds. We like for those matches to take place on as stable a build as possible that has been thoroughly tested, so even very good changes can be ultimately risky. We also think it's reasonable for the players to expect that numbers won't go changing wildly right in the middle of worlds.

To clarify, she needs some sort of weakness. If we just lower her damage or something, players may just switch from her to Kog or someone which just substitutes one dominant ADC for another. Ideally we'd like to give her some trade-offs so that you can choose her for her strengths or avoid her because of her weaknesses.

I have a feeling she may need a rework... I actually have no problem with her range. But, when combining that range with a self-peel and an escape...
Yeah, something of that nature is going to create problems.

It'd be interesting if she had traps or mines to plant. Being, they'd fit her character a little.

AntiSkillshot

09-03-2014

Quote:
g07h4xf00:
That was ghostcrawler's doing
at one point the balance was good, they at least HAD IT RIGHT ONCE
LoL has NEVER had it right

I wouldn't say never. Season 2 was probably the most balanced this game has ever gotten.

Cyndication

09-03-2014

well i mean she was fine until you changed her a few patches ago, though she was still strong. Maybe before getting these changes through, you should consult the community because your balance team is lost. I don't even know why Tristana was addressed at all. You guys should be focusing Urgot, Leblanc, Khazix, etc. Things you nerfed that are completely **** right now.

g07h4xf00

09-03-2014

Quote:
AntiSkillshot:
I wouldn't say never. Season 2 was probably the most balanced this game has ever gotten.

It was the MOST balanced but still not as in a good spot as it could have been

There was still a pretty clear ranged advantage (BT use to give 120 AD that was the same season ezreal was dominant)

also % penetration use to be higher

Ghostcrawler

Lead Game Designer

Follow Ghostcrawler on Twitter

09-03-2014

Quote:
Not really, i'm saying bring the others up, you're still whacking the standout down.

You get the same outcome whether you add or subtract numbers. You're just deciding if the number 20 or the number 25 is the target and adjusting all the others to reach it. The same risks apply because if you accidentally get Trist at 26 and Ashe at 23, then players still understandable choose Trist over Ashe. In fact, bringing all the others up is actually more risky -- in other words, it's easier to nerf than buff -- because the more numbers you touch, the more the likelihood that you will change something in a way you didn't anticipate.

A better solution, we believe, is making sure champions have niches -- that they have strengths and weaknesses. To use the same example, rather than asking whether you'd play the champion at power level 20 or power level 25, you're choosing among the number 20, the letter B or the color green. It's easiest to see this in supports where choosing Thresh vs. Braum vs. Nami gives you different strengths for different trade-offs and also causes the rest of your team and the other team to approach things differently. We want to make sure fighters and marksmen (who typically have the least well-defined niches) feel the same way. Does that explanation make sense?

Alpha1288

09-03-2014

Quote:
Ghostcrawler:
We want to make sure fighters and marksmen (who typically have the least well-defined niches) feel the same way. Does that explanation make sense?

Yes, but it still sucks that Trist will remain OP throughout worlds.

Ghostcrawler

Lead Game Designer

Follow Ghostcrawler on Twitter

09-03-2014

Quote:
Who is making the decision that the value of having the public playerbase and the proffessional playerbase on the same patch for worlds is higher than the value of having a more balanced game on public and keeping a stable game for worlds?

There is some value in players not having to remember two versions of the game (live vs. LCS) because it's confusing, but overall we agree that there isn't much point in holding back good changes from live. My point was that we are unlikely to see changes in worlds themselves. You might see them on live. (We do know that a lot of players do gravitate towards whatever the pros are using, even if the builds are different.)