Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The state of promotion matches

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Summerfest

09-02-2014

I want to keep this post objective and not just a (QQ) rant.

It has been my experience that promotion matches are extremely trolly/toxic. I know my sample size is small (5th series attempt at gold 3) Has anyone else experience this?

I suspect lolnexus has something to do with the Rage-quiters/ Afkers/ Troll picks. Because of these sites, everyone knows you're in your promotion match, making it very tempting for some people to purposely troll/throw. We were winning 14/7 one game and a Riven told me I was trash and then left. Like it was her job to keep me from being promoted. At the 14min mark.

Is it me? I hope not. I know attitude is the key to winning. I stay very positive, ward for my team, try to give kills to the laners (esp if they are behind for the moral boost.) So I'm not used to all the hate / flaming I see in every promotion match. It is a truly miserable experience.

Do you feel like promotion matches are trolly? What do you suppose the cause is?

FairForever

09-02-2014

I think your sample size is pretty small.

Firstly troll picks - they don't see you're in a series till after they pick. Otherwise, I doubt people purposefully lose games to spite their teammates - if they did, they would drop in rank relatively quickly since a lot of games have someone in promo.

Just because there is a direct correlation between winning a promo game and getting promoted (the relationship is a lot less direct in winning a non-promo game), you probably remember / care about the promo games a lot more.

At the end of the day you'll get to where you deserve, although it takes time - if you deserve to be in Gold 3 you'll get there soon enough.

Swiftblood

09-03-2014

Ive gone from Silver 1 to Gold 2 in the last few weeks, Promotion matches your team will under perform 80% of the time. This is when YOU have to carry by your knowledge and understanding of the game rather than just your ability to make plays (though being able to make plays helps alot)
I play support, all of my supports now I win 90% of my games most days, with one off day every once in awhile. I win by my ability to make plays, to get my lane ahead, control vision, and win teamfights for my team. To win a high % of games your team has to have minimal influence on the ability to win a fight. This sounds absurd, absolutely crazy I know. But its true, if you dont have to rely on your team to make the plays then you are in a position to win.

Your champ pool has to be delegated towards this concept, early-mid game champions should be non existent in your mind, these champs you can expect no greater than a 60% winrate with. Why? These champions rely on the team around you, and realisticly there is a 50/50 chance your team is better or worse than the opposing team. So you get far ahead, hope you can put your team ahead but at the end of it all you rely on your team to be able to execute on the advantage you gave them. That is not enough.

Transfer it into champions that can make game winning plays or can win teamfights single handedly. Now to explain the champ pool further rather than just the "dont play non teamfight orientated/early-mid game champs" you have to be able to analyze compositions, yours and the enemy teams and determine what is going to work with your team in a fight and what can absolutely shut down an enemy team comp alone.

So as a support player I look at what the enemy is picking, I'll use games today for example (5 wins/0 losses 2/0 series for Gold 2) I was last pick awesome, you should never lose as last pick support if you know what youre looking at near this elo. The enemy team picks talon, kha zix, ryze, kogmaw, nami. Enemy support is immaterial, youre goal when analyzing these things is to shut down the key components that will win them fights. So I see a kha zix and a talon,

Ill go through the full thought process. First thought is that this a double assassin comp with two jumps, these two champs will most likely jump close to the same time on a squishy target what can stop this aspect. I have three champions in mind at this point, I want to defend the core of my champions so there is Janna, Alistar, and Nami on my mind (but she got taken out the turn right before me). I eliminate thresh because there are to many high priority targets on the otherside for a single hook to win the game and flay/box is only mildly efficient considering the other champs in the comp. I eliminate braum because he would not give enough protection against the khazix and talon. My thoughts begin as I see the first three picks as ryze talon and khazix.

So I'm set on one of these three champions. I think Alistar is a fairly strong option here, they jump in I can knockup the talon and khazix and knock away the ryze neutralizing alot of their damage but it relies heavily on my team being able to kill both of them or atleast one before the knockup stun is down and before the ryze comes back into range to damage the core of my team. So a good pick, high probability of a win in my mind.

Nami is my absolute favorite champ, I wouldnt suggest for everyone though because it relies entirely on your ability to make a huge impact but being able to dodge damage effectively at the same time. With the khazix talon I can probably get a decent amount of double bubbles just based on their combo synergy, or atleast neutralize one or the ryze not a bad option, the heals and movement speed help, and the tidal wave gives a good chance to avoid these assassins and keep the ryze at bay for a decent amount of time. This option though has a higher dependency on the team, so slightly lower chance of winnning in my mind than the alistar pick.

Janna, this is my most recent champion pickup and its solely for the reason that I chose her in this matchup (75% winrate(6-2)in ranked, just started using her a few days ago). So the final consideration is janna. Her tornado is perfect for the interrupt on the khazix/talon damage on whoever they choose to jump on and she gives an immediate shield nullifying some damage coming through. The passive movement speed boost aids greatly in this matchup against ryze and kog and can help people reposition after the khazix talon jump in is interrupted. If the team is incompetent or a tornado is on cd the ultimate can be used to reposition the enemy team then the tornado can be used as the second line of defense. So basically it sounds like a nami repeat, knock down some damage with heal/shield, speed boosts, a slow for the kogmaw/ryze chasedown but the reason janna outshines nami and alistar in this situation is the fact that there will be 3 major close range damage dealers on the enemy team that are going to wreck a team if they all can be close together and get on same targets. Alistar knocks up 2 knocks 1 away (granted coould isolate the kogmaw with alistar but thats more of a risk that relies on the team, and you never want to have to rely on the team more than you need to) Nami knocks up 2 (chancier) and knocks up 2-5. Janna Knocks up 2-5 and seperates/knocks away those short range threats creating a situation where your team is grouped and can pick off these frail individual threats where as otherwise youd be at large risk to losing multiple members.

So overall Janna is the support pick that would neutralize the enemy comp the most and take away the need for my team to make plays, they just have to be there and attack while I prevent them all from dying. Because I would be able to completely nullify the enemy composition in teamfights while also giving significant repositioning, get away (helping team avoid getting picked off by double assassins), and chase down tools it means janna would give me a nearly 100% chance of victory save a 0-20+ start.

I have a harder time giving this sort of insight for other roles but its essentially think about what makes it so you make the plays to win, not your team.

This is probably very very clunky, Im very tired, but it definitely has the thought process concept that is needed to win. Granted I consider myself extremely capable at making plays and consistently playing out fights how I feel they need to be done pregame to win (like how I explained with the janna concept, that's how the game played out as well). So maybe it isn't enough to put someone up into extreme win %'s but I'd say it increased my win% by about 20. Id say I used to win 50-60% of support games depending on how good I was with the champ but I'm definitely a solid 80-90% with supports Im good at/are very comfortable with in ranked, janna I never touched before my 8 ranked games with her and thats a 75% right now.

Remhouse

09-03-2014

Quote:
Summerfest:
I want to keep this post objective and not just a (QQ) rant.

It has been my experience that promotion matches are extremely trolly/toxic. I know my sample size is small (5th series attempt at gold 3) Has anyone else experience this?

I suspect lolnexus has something to do with the Rage-quiters/ Afkers/ Troll picks. Because of these sites, everyone knows you're in your promotion match, making it very tempting for some people to purposely troll/throw. We were winning 14/7 one game and a Riven told me I was trash and then left. Like it was her job to keep me from being promoted. At the 14min mark.

Is it me? I hope not. I know attitude is the key to winning. I stay very positive, ward for my team, try to give kills to the laners (esp if they are behind for the moral boost.) So I'm not used to all the hate / flaming I see in every promotion match. It is a truly miserable experience.

Do you feel like promotion matches are trolly? What do you suppose the cause is?

You made the wrong link here. It's not because you were in a promo match and a teammate trolled you that there is a cause/effect directly linked to that. This match was not a promo match for everyone on your team (maybe... but the odds are not)... so basically to sums it up... it was a troll in YOUR promo match but if you would have been in a regular match... it would have been a trol in a regular match.