Can someone help me out with this "Roaming" business?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yknot

08-31-2014

I usually play top lane at the moment and I enjoy riven. I can do pretty well in lane.

When asking around in my games for advice, I'm often told to to roam more. I don't understand that advice. At. All.

Let me explain my confusion here. Let's say I am stomping my lane pretty hard. My lane is shoved and my opponent is limping around top lane behind in gold and farm. So I decide to roam down to mid, I'll help him get a kill and help snowball the game. I leave the lane, ping like crazy that I am coming and target the enemy. I give them a good 20 seconds to realize what is happening. I arrive, and they either don't bait it right, totally whiff everything, or don't even realize what is going on. Long story short, they find a way to **** it up. My time = Wasted.

Well let's say it's my fault because I didn't think there would be a ward there. Alright, lets put me in that situation again. I ask my mid laner if it is warded. No response. Ask again. No response. As you can conclude I never find out if it's warded. Even if this yields the information, I'm wasting my focus on typing and so is he.

Let's even set one more example of this situation. I am destroying my lane so hard that there is more than enough time for me to spend roaming around. Possibly putting two roams worth of time into one roam. So the first situation I explained happens and I decide I'll stay in the lane with my teammate, we'll push and take this tower, because we can, I'm strong and he's more than likely a ranged champion. It will free him up too. So I ping the tower, help him shove the lane, and you know what happens? YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS?! He eats every single poke the enemy throws. Tanks minions. The WHOLE shebang.

And even if he can manage to not mess that up, he does this weird thing, you know, the thing solo queue ADCs don't do when you're team is doing a siege, you know attack the tower because they have more range and can melt the tower, you know, THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SIEGE. They may not be an ADC in my situation, however they are missing the whole point of why I have roamed to his lane and stayed and helped him push. Don't even ask me to type and try to explain it to him, not worth it and it will probably distract both of us to the point of dying.

The whole point here is the "roam" requires TWO PEOPLE. When I come to the lane, the laner needs to no be braindead. So how is roaming a method to help carry solo queue? I confuse.

Hopefully you guys understand why I am confused and what I'm trying to say. Like I'll roam, I know how to do it, but it never seems to work.

Sorry if it is long winded, but I am trying to get better and I am at a point in my learning curve where I need to ask very specific questions and get very specific responses so I can understand. Hopefully some of you guys have some better advice than "roam more" or even better have had the same confusion as me and can give me insight on how to fix my problem.

St Viers

08-31-2014

Aight, let's see how to help you out!

Let's say their lane is warded, or your mid isn't on the same page as you: at the very least you made the opposing mid back off some, and maybe even wasted some of their jungler's time, so as long as you get top before the wave hits your tower (pretty easy to do if you've taken the other person's tier I tower) you've still done something.

Also, to clear up a common vocab problem: roaming isn't the same thing as ganking. Roaming is just leaving your lane to do something. Maybe you leave to throw a ward up in their jungle. Maybe you leave, and run down to put a pink/sweep the enemies river wards. Maybe you take your wolves/golems, or even the enemy's. Let say you just leave lane and then back where the enemy can't see you. All of those are roaming, and all of them help your team in a few ways.

1) Your making a change to the map outside of your lane. Now their jungler is missing the big golem, or maybe even his buff. Now you have more vision/have denied vision from the other team

2) You've established that when you disappear, you aren't always doing the same thing. Knowing that if you can't see the enemy top means they've backed is different than if they could be in your jungle or going to gank your mid.

3)You're letting the other team get into a less safe position if they try and push out top.

4) You can force plays like dragon, or taking mid turret, even if you don't get a kill. If their top and jungler are in their half of the map and you're mid, that should be a free dragon, or more ideally a free couple kills and then dragon. Even if you mess up mid, you can still push the wave in and take out their turret.

EwokSoldier

08-31-2014

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4695962 hey if u are interested i can help out check out my post for more details gl in your endeavors

Yknot

08-31-2014

Ah thank you for your insight, St Viers. That actually does clear some stuff up for me.

Another question, if I am trying to roam and suddenly my top makes a hard push with perhaps their jungler, I have essentially failed? What would I do then? Basically what if the team finds a way to undermine my roam?

St Viers

08-31-2014

If they have 2 top, take dragon or mid/bot.

Yknot

08-31-2014

What if my team won't do dragon with me? And when should I return top to defend?

St Viers

08-31-2014

If you have vision of their push (see their jungler heading top or something) and you feel like you can keep them off your tower 1v2, just go up asap. Otherwise, right off the top outer as a lost cause and keep with whatever you were doing (probably farming mid or a jungle if your team is being slow on the uptake).

The biggest mistake I see in games is people reacting too late, and giving the enemy basically 2 free wins--they'll get your top, and then get something else as you and your team try to react. This is especially a huge problem when your team following after the enemy yi, singed, zed, etc (I don't say chasing because it's always a lost cause and waste of time). If you see them pushing top, and your team isn't doing anything, why not just push mid? Sure your team-mate may get mad at you for 'stealing his cs,' but now you're at their tower and getting it down, even if he backs in a huff because he doesn't understand objectives.

Also, as a fed top, usually you can solo dragon. Just the act of you starting it may even get your team to come help (tho belatedly) Just remember to get some wards up on their approach path, and sweep the pit if you can.

Yknot

08-31-2014

Ah, alright I see now, I will try and polish off my gameplay with your advice then. Is it worth continuing to learn top lane to climb? I mean most of my favorite champions are up there...but, I often feel very useless or a non factor :/

I feel like i suffer from win lane lose game syndrome a lot too, so it makes my top lane champion win rates real ****ty.

St Viers

08-31-2014

Just keep at it! My recommendations would be to just pick a role and improve at it--any role can carry you higher (even support). Once you get better as a player (through practice and all), you'll notice that your skill/decision-making about roaming and all will come together to carry you through games that coulda been a loss when you were playing differently.

As to maximizing your presence, some tips:

1)Take teleport over ignite. Especially if you like champs like riven, who needs that extra damage when you have a kit that will already do over 100% of their health in a post-ult burst? Teleport lets you do a few things:
**Get back to lane after buying quicker (if you get a gold advantage early and you don't think you'll need to tp again for 3 minutes) you can keep the item advantage to win your lane harder
**You can gank a lane/roam for dragon and get top much faster than walking. Many people aren't used to lane ganks from fountain: they assume that if you back you're going straight to lane
**You can leave top to join a teamfight/push down towers or secure objectives

2)Pick a champion that *can* split-push, and make sure you keep wards up. One of the biggest problems with split-pushing at low elo is you can't convince your other 4 team-mates to apply pressure as a group (there will be you top, 2 mid, 1 bot, and a missing jungler too), meaning the enemy is going to collapse on you top. With proper warding, you can waste their time by leaving as they start to come up, even if your team is not holding up their end of the split-push.

3)Oftentimes tanky bruisers top can carry games harder than fighters. A maokai that just won't die, or a cho-gath that can get away from 4 enemies through his skills+randuins, and then come back and kill a squishy while running are all 'safer' than a top laner like riven, teemo, etc. Being able to be the 'trigger' your team needs to make plays can oftentimes change HOW your team is playing. Having a 2/0/3 top lane Malphite that got those assists through roaming can be very persuasive to people who would otherwise keep doing their own thing.

The problem with those champs are that they aren't as easy to face-roll lane with, and are harder to farm with.

4) Stay positive. If your bot lane is feeding, they probably know it, and don't need **** talk (intentional or perceived from other lanes--even well-intentioned advice hurts when you're already feeling ****ty and defensive) Instead, be positive when they do something well, and take actions that will help them come back (get them outta their lane by pushing it down early, or let them come top and cs after their tower is down). Note, being positive a combination of your mindset and your actions Again, you'll be surprised at how much a team's atmosphere can change when the 'good player [you]' actually acts like a leader.

For more advice, feel free to check out my blog: www.st-viers.blogspot.com ! (While I hate spamming the link, I really love what I do, and appreciate people reading it <3)

Yknot

08-31-2014

Wow, thanks for all of that advice, it was really help full, and I mean it. I like to play tryndamere on occasion so maybe I'll work on him some! Don't worry about your link, I'll check it out!

Who are some tanky bruisers you would recommend, btw?