Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to Carry as Diana (silver)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fahim2399

Recruiter

08-30-2014

I recently started playing ranked, and I find I do best as a jungler/midlaner. for jungle i use amumu, and for mid i use zed/diana. I have never once lost lane as Diana, but i can never seem to carry hard enough. early game I'll have a score like 3-0-2, but by the end i'll have a borderline score (8-8-8 or something). i feel confident as Diana, but i only have a 27% win rate with her in ranked atm. my build is usually Abyssal sceptre>boots>deathcap>lichbane/nashors tooth>frozen heart/zhonyas>GA. I dont go tanky until the end, so i die quickly in early team fights, and my team get wiped out soon after.

basically, i just want some tips as to how i can stay alive and carry as Diana (and keep my score constant)

St Viers

08-30-2014

The biggest way to improve is to work on your decision-making. If you're going from 3-0-2 to 8-8-8 It means that you aren't playing certain situations right.From experience, I bet what's happening is that you feel that as the player doing well on your team, you need to "make plays"?

Instead, let your team do their part (even if they are behind) and do yours. It may seem pretty selfish, because in some cases it will look like you're sacrificing your team to pad your kda, but if that changes the outcome (you and 1 teammate survive to push instead of you jumping in early to make plays and dying), they'll realize that you're playing right. Keep doing what is working: picking off out of place or low health enemies towards the end of a teamfight or alone.

Also, I'd recommend changing up your build. Scepter is not a bad item, but it's not core on her like it was before it was nerfed (awhile ago). Remember that as a melee-range mage without a reset, she needs to be able to kill the back line and then survive until the rest of your team is doing something. Try just going for zhonyas earlier, as it is pretty key in both mitigating damage and waiting for your CDs to come back up safely while in their team.

Now a few questions: when you're 3-0-2, have you given up the chance to roam to stay in lane and bully the lane opponent? the ~300 gold you gain from maybe killing them a 3rd time/denying them cs is probably not worth as much globally as you think: a Burst Mage is gonna kill your adc even if they are behind, especially if your adc is behind as well. Instead of staying in lane, roaming is often a better way to snowball the game in your favor. You see their jungler? Diana loves duels! You get a ward down at their blue? Free buff in a few minutes! Your bot lane's pushed in? Gank from river! Your bot lane's pushed out? Gank from tri/over their wall or through the lane! Bot's ungankable? Go Top! Steal their jungle camps! Anything that you do that affects the balance of the game OUTSIDE of your lane is probably the better choice than staying in lane.

When are you entering fights? With the build you described the answer should be "almost never." There shouldn't be a fair 5v5 fight if you're going glass cannon; instead make sure your entrance is making the fight a 5v4 or better. I've noticed that even on supports that need to go all in (Leona, Thresh, etc) if you're doing well, you'll still end up not dying by the end of the fight because it's over to fast your you can make your mark and leave (being able to get another rotation is spells is always better than not, even moreso for a mid than support).

Are you splitpushing? If your team can't really win fights even with you around, they can at least be applying pressure while you split a lane. With your passive, you take towers fairly quickly, and you should be able to duel almost anyone 1v1, win ,and keep pushing.

TL;DR your score changing like that is a sign of going on tilt/faulty decision-making, so be more selfish

Fahim2399

Recruiter

08-31-2014

Thanks for the advice
I usually do start roaming after i get me 3rd/4th kill, but that results in my turret being taken down (mid lane mages clear waves fast). and yea, my team usually ends up losing because of team fights, but in this meta they're unavoidable. how should i change up my build, (i was thinking deathcap>boots>zhonyas>sceptre/voidstaff/Will of the ancients>frozen heart>siprit visage/banshees veil) and what do i do to stay alive if i've used my ult twice in a row (without reset, if there's no other choice).

St Viers

08-31-2014

Remember that 'roaming' (I'm parroting wingsofdeath) isn't always ganking another lane. If you get into the habit of not being around when your've farmed the lane, you can be doing anything (taking wraiths, their wraiths, looking to gank, or warding their jungle) and they don't know which you're doing, meaning that you can sometimes relieve pressure by just the threat you pose not being on their minimap.

If you are super ahead in lane, try and turn that into taking their turret quickly. If you have a wave that's def going to hit their turret, ask your jungler to come and just get damage on the turret. Don't try and kill their mid, don't go crazy, but just take the turret down. Then, when you roam, it doesn't matter as much if they get yours--they are merely making back some gold, while you're getting a different, hopefully more substantial lead elsewhere.

As to build, I'd hold off on voidstaff til the last item, as usually raw AP is enough to take out the targets you're going for until late-game. Maybe just 2-3 dorans into Hourglass is a good start? I'm not the best player in the world, but imo, the power that item gives her in teamfights is worth rushing it, and it gives respectable AP, meaning the power-spike you get from deathcap will be pretty significant. In terms of build, just remember that randuins is still a good item on her, even though it doens't give offensive power.

The way to stay alive after you've used your ult twice depends on the situation: If you've managed to take out their back line, chances are you're just winning the fight, so just auto their tanks or run depending on what's going on. If you have zhonyas up, using that to dodge their retaliation (or just wait out safely the 2 second til your shield or ult is back up) can also keep you alive longer.

Also, a way to make sure your have an escape is to make sure your ult is just up--don't blindly double-tap the r on your priority target--usually q-r+w->autos and e when they try and disengage will kill them fine, and then in 3 seconds when your q is back up, you get the free blink to your next target, *still* keeping your ult up.