Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proposal to the community regarding Ascension.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penteano

08-30-2014

Quote:
Tortferngatr:
The main point is that it can be used as a STARTING point for a Dominion rework. We can figure out how to incorporate bot lane and minions later.

I wouldn't use that as a starting point. Dom needs a rework but it's not as big as people are making it look IMO, being able to capture and hold towers is fun, true map control mode. Getting rid of the personal score system would be a good start. On the rest I see no big deals. Oh they need to make the quest more attractive (could be the biggest change). But a visual update would be cool.

SylianEUW

08-30-2014

Quote:
Tortferngatr:
The main point is that it can be used as a STARTING point for a Dominion rework. We can figure out how to incorporate bot lane and minions later.
I wonder if we strictly need bot lane and minions. I suppose this mode will show up whether they're needed or not. Bot lane is one of the more annoying parts about Dominion ("Here's a fun game mode, but one poor fellow will have to lane most of the game. Have fun!&quot.

Quote:
Penteano:
Oh they need to make the quest more attractive (could be the biggest change). But a visual update would be cool.
More attractive? Are you one of the people who goes 4 bot when your team has windmill and quest is at windmill, thus giving them basically an uncontested quest? That kind of players make me sad... The quest is pretty important. I'd estimate it as a mix between dragon and baron, probably closer to dragon. If you can get it when everyone on your team is still alive, then that's a significant boost. If only one or two get it, then it's not that significant, but it's still removes a good 20 points from their Nexus health.

So, they definitely don't need to be made more attractive. It's possible that many people underrate them, but many people underrated Dragon for a long time on SR too. I think tournaments probably helped, since team took timers and were willing to teamfight in order to get dragon. Most Dominion players don't play tournaments, and most Dominion teams are not nearly as organized as SR teams, partly because it can be hard to predict whether the quest will spawn bot or top.

SylianEUW

08-30-2014

"One of the major objectives of the quest system was to prevent the emergence of a metagame that promoted capturing three command points and turtling to hold them for the remainder of the battle. Turtling strategies like this one are contrary to the high-energy combat that we wanted to promote with the new game mode. So, in order to prevent these sorts of stratagems from emerging in League of Legends: Dominion, we instituted quests to allow us to alter the strategic value of each command point on the fly."

Turtling on points has proven to not be optimal. Thus, one of the major objectives of the quest system is not really a good reason. I think the quest system might encourage more defensive play actually, since the team with the windmill quest is encouraged to just defend windmill, and the team that needs to get it will often push windmill instead of fighting in the jungle or ganking bot.

Penteano

08-30-2014

Quote:
SylianEUW:
I wonder if we strictly need bot lane and minions. I suppose this mode will show up whether they're needed or not. Bot lane is one of the more annoying parts about Dominion ("Here's a fun game mode, but one poor fellow will have to lane most of the game. Have fun!&quot.

More attractive? Are you one of the people who goes 4 bot when your team has windmill and quest is at windmill, thus giving them basically an uncontested quest? That kind of players make me sad... The quest is pretty important. I'd estimate it as a mix between dragon and baron, probably closer to dragon. If you can get it when everyone on your team is still alive, then that's a significant boost. If only one or two get it, then it's not that significant, but it's still removes a good 20 points from their Nexus health.

So, they definitely don't need to be made more attractive. It's possible that many people underrate them, but many people underrated Dragon for a long time on SR too. I think tournaments probably helped, since team took timers and were willing to teamfight in order to get dragon. Most Dominion players don't play tournaments, and most Dominion teams are not nearly as organized as SR teams, partly because it can be hard to predict whether the quest will spawn bot or top.

Doesn't matter. It should be more attractive and fun. At my elo quests are totally ignored and when done it's pure accident. Bot lane and minions should always exist, maybe worked to be a bit different and more versatile but it adds tools to the game, it is a good thing. What happens in bot lane is player's choice anyway. I once watched a match where bot lane was basically a 2x2. The guy was trying to gank and the enemy was blocking him all the time, and there was a time where a 5x5 happened in the center because they left that lane for a while. It was awesome to watch.
Some people just want Dominion to be Smite Arena, isn't it?!geez

Fabs457

08-30-2014

The neat/attractive part of it looks to be the xerath in the middle... Dominion could use a map facelift in the form of nicer looking textures and spirits... while also doing something more interesting with the pre-existing buffs, like a mini-monster in the middle or something. The whole basis of Ancension as a death match arena is something that will lack any sort of meta game beyond team comps for fighting without any involvement of creeps. I don't think it'll have lasting appeal, but I certainly will be playing the heck out of it anyway.

ImpendingDeath

08-31-2014

I was under the impression that this was a direct answer to Smite's Arena mode, but if it's actually more like a Dominion v2, I'm all for it.

Still, I like Dominion's current incarnation, in spite of its flaws, and I'm hoping Riot doesn't merely dispose of it.

L4T3NCY

Lead Designer
Featured Game Mode

09-02-2014

Quote:
KaWraith:
AFAIK, Riot is willing to RP fund any tournament, as long as it's legit, and 8 teams play. If you can have an aram tournament; why not one on ascension?

Just wanted to clarify this is totally correct. ^_^ If you guys did go ahead with this, let us know somewhere we could watch a stream or see it later on Youtube! I know some Rioters would be very excited to watch an Ascension tournament.

I'm sure you guys already know but, just in case, full details and tournament registration forms can be found here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/community/prized-events

Fancy Wolf

09-02-2014

Quote:
L4T3NCY:
Just wanted to clarify this is totally correct. ^_^ If you guys did go ahead with this, let us know somewhere we could watch a stream or see it later on Youtube! I know some Rioters would be very excited to watch an Ascension tournament.

I'm sure you guys already know but, just in case, full details and tournament registration forms can be found here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/community/prized-events

Welp time to go yell at all the top Dominion teams to show up then...

Guess I will stop being lazy and host it myself. But then I cant cast.... hmmmmm

molokodude

09-02-2014

Quote:
Fancy Wolf:
Welp time to go yell at all the top Dominion teams to show up then...

Guess I will stop being lazy and host it myself. But then I cant cast.... hmmmmm

You could host/cast it tbh no real rule against it. Hosts provider castors anyway. However unless objections I'd personally like to host it.

Fancy Wolf

09-02-2014

Quote:
molokodude:
You could host/cast it tbh no real rule against it. Hosts provider castors anyway. However unless objections I'd personally like to host it.

Ill stream and cast it.

Its all you TO moloko