Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Liandry's Torment

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axyx

08-28-2014

I have like a big question regarding this item.
I always build liandry's for every AP champion that has DoT (Malzahar, Cassiopeia, Zyrasince her plant proc the passive, etc), but a friend of mine always says that this item is worthless no matter what champ i'm playing and instead I need to buy something better like Void Staff. His argument is that Liandry's numbers are really bad considering it's cost and stats.
So, dear community any toughts on this statement.

WafflesTheEpic

08-28-2014

Actually Liandry's Torment is pretty powerful; it's meant to bring down tanks or those with high HP and it can cripple them in just a few hits. The thing is that it loses this effectiveness ones they get low so it's better on champions that deal dot damage, those with low burst damage, or a great damage item for poke support like Zyra or Karma, but not burst damage dealers.

Sephïroth

08-29-2014

Liandries is a situational item. If the enemy team is tanky, its a good buy, if they aren't its not. Also, depending on the natural CC of your spells makes it more or less Viable. Lets take Malzahar - Generally its a bad idea on him since his only CC is his ult and you shouldn't be ulting any tanks. He's better served buying AP or a void staff. Now, if they have 3 tanks and are building absurd HP - okay I get it. Otherwise, stick to AP with him.

Zyra is a DPS APC so she's okay with it. If the situation calls for it go for it. Cass is one where it seems like a good idea, and it isn't bad on her because it does do quite a bit of DPS.

All in all its a decent item, but you shouldn't buy it until 3rd or fourth item. You can buy the haunting guise and come back to it later, the guise will give you good magic pen which will make your early game good but Liandries is a late game item in general you shouldn't have until the 4th item and this is probably where you friend is calling you out. I'm betting you build it early in the game, and its just terrible to have until everyone's level 16 or better.

GundayMonday

Recruiter

08-29-2014

I build liandrys on champs with low AP ratios that need more damage. Vel'Koz is a great example. You want magic pen items on him since he doesn't scale as well with AP compared to a champ like Annie, but has high base damamge on his abilities. Let's you hit harder.

Another consideration is that crowdcontrol slows/stuns makes the liandrys passive do double damage each tick. The item gets A LOT better if you have a champ like Sejuani or Anivia with area of effect slows/stuns that last for a few seconds. That's why you'll see champs like Rumble build Ryalia's (makes your abilities slow champs) and Liandrys.

TL DR; It's a really good item if your team is built correctly.

Cornerstone1

08-29-2014

Great on Teemo for his mushroom damage.

Morsigil

08-29-2014

I'm surprised the name Swain hasn't already come up. It's not the be-all end-all item for him, but considering he has an AoE root, a single target slow that is also a DoT, a single target DoT, and his ult which is essentially an DoT... He's like the poster child for Liandry's.

Throw on Rylai's and it doesn't matter what spell you're using, you're doing the abilities' damage PLUS 12% of their current health over 3 seconds. Without the Rylai's you can do 10% of current health on each person caught in his root, on top of 240+70% AP. I don't know how or if the DoT stacks, or what the cooldown is on it, but anyone taking his full Q takes 255+90% AP + 12% of their current health. I doubt Liandry's burn stacks, but if it did holy ****. You throw the E on there as well and it's 235 + 80% ap, and that value as well as the Q as well as the liandry's burn all get boosted by 20%.

Honestly when I get it, it's usually my last item and I don't notice it that much, but by the time I have my last item I'm melting faces anyway so it's hard to tell how much of the face melting is Liandry's and how much of it is just from the 400 or 500 AP I've got.

Let's put it into perspective though:

At 2000 HP, 12% of current health is 240 damage over 3 seconds. That's with the doubling effect of movement impairment. At 1000 current HP that's only 120 over 3 seconds. At 500 it doesn't really matter anymore but it's only 60.

Still, for Swain, who can apply this relatively consistently over the course of a long battle to most of a team it's very meaningful. I'm not convinced other less AoE and CC capable champs can use it that well. Teemo isn't a bad candidate IMO. For Swain I think it's definitely a strong 4th, 5th, or 6th item pick. Sorcs, roa, zhonya, rabadon,and after that point you get whatever you need: Liandry, Abyssal, Spirit visage, frozen heart, dfg, rylai's, void staff, athene's (probably want to get this one earlier if you get it)

Axyx

08-29-2014

Thanks a lot guys, and no, I don't usually rush it, except when i'm playing with him because he gets really mad haha. I'm always using Liandy's on AP Singed after getting Rylais, or with Mao/Mundo for my only source of damage (usually going tanky with them).
If ever build Liandry's on a "serious" match, is after Boots 2, Deathcap and Zhonyas.
Agains thanks for responding my question

Sephïroth

08-30-2014

Just a tip, though: Rylai's/Liandries is a bad combo for Singed. You should be building a Rod of Ages/Frozen Heart/Spirit Visage. The RoA Gives you tons of health, Frozen heart gives you some health and destroys ADs, Spirit Visage makes you Ultimate heal more. Singed' base damage is good enough that you don't need those items, and Rylai's does very little slowing effect and you have your W to slow people which means its just not really needed. Mundo really does bad with Liandries as he doesn't really benefit from the AP you get, you're better getting a Wit's End for damage on Mundo.

Also, with Liandries you almost always want to Rush Haunting Guise as its a big bang for you buck early game for the Pen, but save it until 4th to finish. If you have a Deathcap and a Zonhuyas, you should probably get a Void Staff because its just going to net you a lot more damage than a Liandries will. With that much AP, Void staff is a % Increase while Liandries is a tick of current health.

Liandries is a fine item on Tanks that need damage, but late in games. By late in games I mean you have 3 good tank items already.

I'm always glad to help, I get bored at work and this forum keeps me somewhat occupied.

HOMO KPOP

08-30-2014

To go against what you buy it on, I don't suggest it on Malzahar and Cassiopeia. I played a lot of Cassiopeia in season 3 and I firmly think unless you're facing 3-4 tanks, Torment is just a bad choice. You keep your DPS up really high with Poison and Twin Fang and it's not about DoT, it's about getting more AP items to make your DPS higher. I'd even suggest Void Staff at that point instead of Torment.

Malzahar can maybe make more use of it but to spend that much to make deal some damage with the pool/silence...I don't know..

On Singed I know some diamonds who rush Rylai's after 2 Dorans Rings. There's a lot of builds but generally, I just don't feel Liandry's doesn't benefit him compared to other items you could have gotten faster.