Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Learning Pressure and Objective Control

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xari

08-28-2014

INTRODUCTION
While there is a general League of Legends thread, I feel inclined to create a specific thread solely for the basis of teaching specific details in laning phase, mid-game and late-game pressure, and the pursuing of various objects dependent on the current situation in the game. Many players I've encountered, including low diamond Is seem to suffer immensely from the lack of information about the game and rely more on his or her mechanical skill rather than knowledge.

Why is it common knowledge that Korean teams are so far above American and European teams? It's because they're constantly applying and searching for new methods to counter the current meta. (And don't attempt to contest this statement: watch a few OGN games and you'll see that Korean knowledge of the game surpasses other countries). While Korea doesn't always set the meta for the rest of the world, it's had a fairly large impact on our gameplay.

So, this thread is dedicated to deepening the knowledge of the game. Here're a few examples ...

PRESSURING
While nearly everyone League player has heard of this concept, he or she fails to apply it in the most practical way possible. More simply put, the majority of the players who apply this concept are familiar with the idea of "harassing your enemy while he or she is CSing." While that may true, you have to understand the fluctuation of the lane and the pressure of any other enemy players.

For example, since I am most familiar with bot-lane mechanics and pressure and main support, I'll throw a match-up between:

Leona & Corki and Caitlyn & Nami

Most of the time, assuming you understand the bases of lane control, both lanes will attempt to rush for a level 2 to assume early pressure through the sheer level difference. Ideally, what should happen is both supports and ADCs will push the lane as fast as they can while simultaneously applying pressure on the enemy pair.

Example:
- Caitlyn and Nami win the match up at level 1 in terms of pressure. Leona is one of the few supports that is relatively low on pressure at level 1 (other supports such as this are Blitzcrank and Alistar). Corki and Leona should push smartly, but avoid taking too much damage (it's sometimes unavoidable). Caitlyn and Nami should weave autos and not be afraid until the enemy pair hit 2 while pushing the lane.

- Two things can happen at this point. The timer should be roughly at 3 minutes at this point, and assuming the enemy jungler started at their respective blue/red camps near bot side, you don't have fear of a gank until about 3:45 (if and only if the enemy jungler rushes bot lane after his or her double buffs).

1) Leona and Corki hit two first. Assuming the two are coordinated, Leona should walk forward just as, or just before she hits level 2. This allows her to apply pressure and assume an all-in before the other pair hits 2. This small gap provides Leona and Corki the opportunity to bully the Nami and Caitlyn (though they have sustainability) out of lane or go for a potential kill. Leona excels in hard all-in engages. If she doesn't get the kill her trade ends up being bad vs the Nami, who will simply heal her Caitlyn back to full.

2) Nami and Caitlyn hit 2 first. The Nami has the option of going E, or going Q (preference). In this match-up Nami should go for the E since killing Leona and Corki at level 2 with one good bubble is highly unlikely. Nami walks forward as she hits 2, and Caitlyn should respond. As both hit 2, Nami can throw her W and give Caitlyn the E, giving the pair huge pressure over the enemy pair, who haven't hit their level 2 all-in hard engage.

3) Though I mentioned two paths, those are the most ideal situations. Between bot lanes that have minimal - moderate knowledge of how lanes work, what often happens is both lanes attempt to apply pressure by harassing, but fail to utilize the huge level 2 spike.

The power spikes from leveling up is huge in any lane. The most important spikes are often at level 2 and 6, but depending on the champion that may be level 3 as well.

Knowing your enemys' skill CDs

- The majority of people I know fail to grasp the importance of return harass. They take a free hit from a skill or auto, but fail to even the trade. While there are cases where attempting to even a trade is bad (such as missing a CS for an auto), it's up to the decision of the player whether or not it's worth returning the trade. This game is always fluctuating, so there's no set way of playing it: only ways you should play to extend your advantage.

- Anyways, onto skill CDs. Using bot lane as my example again, we'll call upon the same match-up:

Leona & Corki and Caitlyn & Nami

1) Assume both pairs are level 5. They have access to all their skills at this point. Leona walks forward and throws her lance at Caitlyn, who side steps it. During this ~8 second window, Caitlyn and Nami have immense pressure over the Corki and Leona lane. You have to know that Leona's pressure comes from the fact that her all-in engage is initiated by her lance. Without that, the Nami and Caitlyn and kite Leona for eternity. With Leona's lance down, Caitlyn and Nami can move forward more aggressively and apply pressure and punish Leona for her lance. Nami and Caitlyn aren't afraid to trade because of their heal, and Nami has her knock up. The potential of their trade can either be 2-3 autos + a Nami W, or a Q + shove out of lane. Knowing the skill timers is immense. During that 7-8 second window, Nami and Caitlyn should also keep track of jungler and mid positions along with the knowledge of when Leona's lance will be back up.

2) The situation for Corki and Leona is different, but not by much. Assuming Nami misses her Q, or has recently used her W, Corki and Leona have a window of opportunity where they can hard engage. The idea of this hard engage is to kill one of the two, or punish them so hard that the pressure of CSing is too high. If neither of these objectives are achieved, then there is no point in going in as Leona and Corki. You risk taking too much damage in order to play aggressively, but if you fail, then Nami simply heals everything back up. Their trade has to be quick and short, for if Nami and Caitlyn get their CDs back up then you'll get return harassed on the way back.

Pressuring between ADCs
- Assume Caitlyn blew her Q on minions. Her Q won't be back up for a good 6-8 seconds. During that period Corki has a huge damage advantage over Caitlyn, whose main source of damage early game is her Q. Corki can pressure Caitlyn and take an auto in exchange for the huge damage on his Q. The same goes for Caitlyn, who has her Nami. It's all about weighing your support and enemy support, along with the adc.

Supports and their pressure
- While the concept of pressure is simple, it's difficult to apply if both sides understand it. Ideally, if your adc is going to auto a minion, then the enemy adc should be able to auto your adc for free since your adc is pre-occupied with getting CS. As a support, your role is to walk forward and apply pressure so the enemy adc is scared to pressure your adc. Yes, this is an easy concept, but what if the enemy support does the same?

If you're Nami and you come up to pressure Corki, and Leona comes up to counter that pressure, what happens is both of you hover back and forth between an invisible line that dictates BACK THE HELL OFF or I'M PRESSURING YO ADC. Anyone who lingers on the offensive side of their line for too long is asking for danger.

Anyways, I'll write more later. I'm a bit tired, but if anyone has questions about ANYTHING in the game, I'll offer what I know about it. Mid and top are my weakest roles, so my knowledge is more limited, but I'll do what I can. For those who require confirmation of my current rank as some requisite for my qualifications, I'm currently a Diamond player.

Xari

08-28-2014

Bump ~ If you have any questions regarding game knowledge just ask.

Xari

08-29-2014

Bump ~

Xari

09-01-2014

Bump~

undiespwn

09-01-2014

I appreciate you taking the time to explain these things. Just the little bit there helped me out a fair bit. No questions as of now, but I look forward to more insight.

(Trying to main support )

Sephïroth

09-02-2014

Good info for those in need. +1. I really wish more people read this, because nothing irritates me more than being in a lane Vs. A Leona and my partner adc or support not understanding we have all day to beat the hell out of them when Leona's lance is down. And if she uses her W, we can burst her like hell. BAHHH This post mostly just aggravated me because it brings up bad memories. Though, its GREAT information and anyone who wants to improve should follow this advice.

Xari

09-05-2014

I wish there were spoiler tags, but oh well. Sure thing guys. As I've said, I'll answer anything, so don't be afraid to ask.

Xari

09-06-2014

Bump ~

Xari

09-10-2014

Bump `