Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Stop dulling down your old Skins, Riot!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeavyDesperado

08-27-2014

This whole "clarity" guideline is seriously starting to tick me off. On your witchhunt against "visual noise" you suck out all the interesting details and contrasts from your older champions and skins.

First, Pentakill Mordekaiser got completely ruined! He looks like a plastic toy now. All the "metal" is gone from the master of metal. No contrasts, no details. Because it was "too busy".

And now the butcher gets butchered. Details and contrasts just deleted all over the place, from his weapon, chest, armor. The model is great and there are a few aspects about the updated textures that are an improvement (compared to poor Morde, which was almost entirely a downgrade) but generally they look bleaker and dull compared to the old ones.

Stop your "no interesting details and contrasts allowed"-policy when you update the skins people bought ages ago and have come to love! Especially since you are not giving refunds anymore (which I can understand from a "potential abuse"-standpoint but it still massively sucks for people that pretty much lose their favorite skin they payed for).

ForeverBoned

08-27-2014

I agree Renekton does not need a visual update - his skins are all very good and the new PBE updated textures suck the life out of him. The contrasts are incredibly dull and to put it simply, the new renek looks less like a reptilian humanoid and more like a dumb crocodile wearing clothes... especially outback renek

HotKnife

09-01-2014

Hey HeavyDesperado,

I've totally noticed the "dulling down" of in-game models recently, and I myself was a little disappointed. I went to test the new Summoner's Rift before it went public in early 2014, and I have to say that I think the new models will mesh better with the new Rift. The colors are significantly smoother and the feel is less cartoon-y, which is how the current Summoner's Rift feels to me. Renekton doesn't pop on this map, but I think it's worth waiting for the visual update. Riot likes lengthy transitions.

Azulei

09-12-2014

I just saw a page detailing the visual updates and I must say... I hate them all. All of the new versions look dull in color, bland in design (some characters now look more stereotypical) and I hate the loss of detail. I hate it. I wish this wasn't something you all were forcing on everyone, but a CHOICE that each individual player could make within their own client. New textures or old textures? Not that hard of a choice to make depending on your computer/set up.

The new textures are hideous. I've seen gameplay videos of other games similar to LoL and part of the reason I laugh at them and do not play is because their characters models are... dully colored, blandly designed, stereotypical, and are not detailed. If you make your new character textures look just like all of your competitors, then why should anyone play LoL instead of the others? What distinguishes LoL from the crowd?

wolfax

09-13-2014

Quote:
Azulei:
I just saw a page detailing the visual updates and I must say... I hate them all. All of the new versions look dull in color, bland in design (some characters now look more stereotypical) and I hate the loss of detail. I hate it. I wish this wasn't something you all were forcing on everyone, but a CHOICE that each individual player could make within their own client. New textures or old textures? Not that hard of a choice to make depending on your computer/set up.

The new textures are hideous. I've seen gameplay videos of other games similar to LoL and part of the reason I laugh at them and do not play is because their characters models are... dully colored, blandly designed, stereotypical, and are not detailed. If you make your new character textures look just like all of your competitors, then why should anyone play LoL instead of the others? What distinguishes LoL from the crowd?

Why do you even care about the detail? You can't even see the vast majority of the tiny details, and when you're zoomed out they just mesh together and look bad. It's just a bunch of small black lines that look like someone smudged something on the characters. They look less detailed closer up, but when you zoom out (like you are 99.9% of the game) they look a lot better.