Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why does do most Udyr guides use utility tree mastery?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JMaxR99

08-26-2014

Hi all, have started playing Udyr quite abit as I liked the natural tankiness and cc as well as ease of use.

I am wondering why most guides have Udyr put points into 0/9/21 instead of something like 21/9/0 or 9/21/0. I've had quite a few games with it using the suggested 0/9/21 but still feels abit squishy and his movement speed as a gap closer is most often not enough for careful player who has an escape tool or hard cc to ruin your escape ie: Tristana with rocket jump. Dueling wise, I can't seen to beat Tryndemre, Mundo or anyone with an ultimate that is available unless I have a huge gold advantage.

Morsigil

08-26-2014

You can roll with whatever you'd like. Utility is popular because of the movement speed, cooldown, rune time, mana regen, and gold bonuses. Masteries in defense or offense help, but Udyr loves items more. Udyr is a champ with a unique and powerful kit, but he needs a little bit of everything to make it work. Health, mana, armor, mr, movespeed, attack speed, cdr.. you name it, he can use it, but especially health, mana, and movespeed, which is why some points in defense and some points in utility make sense.

You're not going to be dueling Tryndamere or Mundo anyway... I'm not sure why you'd think that was advisable. The only reason Trick does it is because he often builds AD and attack speed heavy in the top lane and makes use of the obscene ratio on his tiger DoT. It works because he pokes with the dot and then backs off, stunning them if they chase, and then applies the DoT again. In other words he just pokes until he can secure the kill and then chases them down. Any sustained damage from an equal Tryn destroys Udyr. If you don't have significant AD or some levels and items on Tryndamere don't try dueling him. Eventually he will hit critical mass and unless you've got a thornmail and a heap of HP you won't even tanking him long much more dueling.

Trist is notorious for being good at escaping between her W and her R. Consider though that even with max CDR her rocket jump jump has a cooldown of 8.4 seconds... And the only Trist with max cooldown is AP Trist. AD Trist will likely have a cooldown of about 12 seconds and that's late game, without blue. So if she is overextended far enough it doesn't matter how many escapes she has. Udyr will catch up to her because he has sustained movement where as Trist has burst movement on long cooldowns. She's also very squishy so one stun may be all it takes. If not you'll catch up, or at the very least burn all her cooldowns. Then you come back to finish it. When all she has is rocket jump she's very vulnerable, because it's a dash and it's not actually that far.

But to answer your question, you want to try and catch people overextended and underleveled, and do your best to put them in that position. So if you gank and "all" you get out of them is a flash, that's great. Without a flash they're that much more vulnerable. CC is the death of Udyr, but it takes a LOT of CC because you're usually running merc treads and he can proc that bear boost every four or less seconds. Persevere, my friend.

canadianForces

08-28-2014

i use 21 offence and 9 defence for mine and i have 95% win rate

HOMO KPOP

08-28-2014

Well that's the author's playstyle. More utility tree points = more mana/movement speed/longer buffs/CDR etc.

Obviously there are others like 21 attack to take advantage of Tiger's strong early game and others.

JMaxR99

08-28-2014

Hi thanks for all the explanation, and I can definitely see how Trick's "Godyr" works, but through experimentation and reading about other udyr player's opinions, I am not convinced it will work 100% of the time for newish players like myself in solo queue where 2 or more of the lanes in my team maybe loosing quite bit in the early game and Udyr will get the blame for not helping out.

At first I try to explain that I was on the way and I couldnt afford to go gank if they dont put a ward down and the opponent is much better and 2 levels ahead of us but eventually I just realised they dont listen and thinks it's all my fault they are not doing well so I couldnt be bothered replying to them anymore, I am sure they reported me as a bad player at the end of the game but I reported them for harassment so that's ok.

So far I've found that going turtle instead of tiger gave me a safer jungling and ganking experience at the expense of faster clearing time.(I believe thats the standard Udyr playstyle before feral flare?) but I think it depends on what you're trying to do and how your playstyle works in the team composition.

Morsigil

08-29-2014

Before feral flare, Udyr generally went spirit of the ancient golem and phoenix. You can still do that and it works fine. People think tiger is the only way to do damage but at max rank, by the time you get off 3 melee attacks with phoenix, you've done about 700+ magic damage.

Don't listen to others who blame you for the loss. Yes, if you don't provide map pressure then your team will suffer, but if they're losing the lane all on their own and not because of constant jungle ganks that's their fault.

Do NOT go turtle first. What level are you in League? If you don't have the runes you're going to really struggle to jungle. For beginner Udyr jungle I'd go Phoenix turtle bear, then alternate phoenix and turtle. If you want to clear crazy fast get the spirit stone and a madred's for the eventual feral flare/triforce on to tank items, or just go for spirit of the ancient golem and resign yourself to tanking.