Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Concept: Maverick, the Dimensional Drifter (Mage/Support)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Flux

09-03-2014

Thanks so much for the feedback Llama! I will get on that fix for the Fields of Justice (Bah, butchered that lol sorry). I think I might omit the gifts thing actually now that I think about it. I had it originally as an extension of him no longer being alone, but I think it is distracting/confusing and detracts from the ending some. I definitely appreciate the harsh comments, to me, they are still very constructive.

How did he not age or change in the void? Hmm you're on to something with the blade and even the correlation to Xerath's energy not disintegrating him. I wanted this to be a huge mystery. Is Maverick even alive for instance? Is there a lot more to this blade than an inanimate object (notice his mysterious resolve despite calamity, where did it come from- within or from outside)? Was it even truly the void? Maverick only has his anecdotal evidence and Sivir's knowledge on the subject. So I will keep this aspect for now.

As far as the joint lore, I think this could be a blast indeed. Perhaps we can correlate timezones (if applicable) and schedules sometime to find a time that works best. I'm pretty packed today-Fri. but can maybe get to talking more Friday night. Post on my thread some good times for you? And I can post on yours with a reply (give us both a bump haha)

ElementLlama

Recruiter

09-03-2014

Sure why not? I live in Ontario, so Eastern Standard Time is meh hours!

ElementLlama

Recruiter

09-03-2014

So, I'm not going to just start writing. Wyrn has a lore/background that is very damn versatile, and due to the nature of his abilities, he can appear in pretty much any situation, so how would you like Maverick and Wyrn to first meet?

(left to my own devices, I would probably have Wyrn drawn to the blade due to what he would call "Unique Properties", probably after trying to travel himself and getting dragged back into the world when getting to close to it.)

Arcane Flux

09-04-2014

Bump

Staticobi

09-04-2014

i find it hilarious that the image looks like an old version of azir

Arcane Flux

09-04-2014

@ Staticobi

Whoa?!?! Really? That's neato, is there a collection of his old artwork somewhere that you used as a reference?

ElementLlama

Recruiter

09-04-2014

My question here, when do you want to start the shared lore thingy?

Arcane Flux

09-04-2014

Was thinking Friday night? Big exam tomorrow, but I'm free after 4 Eastern time as well woot! Let's shoot for 8 o'clock? or do you have another time? Can also do it Sat/Sun

ElementLlama

Recruiter

09-04-2014

ok I can do it then, good luck on the exam.

Quaragh

09-04-2014

Since you've been helpful I'm going to be honest. I find some of the abilities would be hard to use(even slight delays are costly). I have some ideas I'll pass along and hopefully you might find some useful. First I'll give ideas for his lore, and then his abilities and why I'd choose such.

LORE:

"Maverick was once a lowly human, a filthy hermit in Shurima with little to no skill in magic. It was only luck that I was buried beneath his hovel...

Then it happened. I became aware. Instantly I knew not only of my existence, but what caused it. A seeker of arcane knowledge named Xerath. I will myself out of my earthly imprisonment, just as Xerath enters his. I also know one day he shall be freed. He shall enter the League and then...

I do not know. How could I not know?

This human, Maverick, stares at me in awe, but there's a knowing behind those eyes. Wonder but no curiosity. He knows of me. I realize I am in the middle of his hovel.

Maverick shall do nicely. I hold myself out before him, my golden key offering hope and joy while my black key promising despair and pain. He takes hold of me, and with a slash he takes us to the future.

He is bewildered. Maverick hasn't fully comprehended I have infused him with my knowledge and power. Nor has he realized we are thousands of years into the future. Once he does, to my surprise, I find he doesn't mind. He enjoys it.

We gain easy access into the League as we always gain access. We are well received by this Black Rose. They promote our entrance into the League. Maverick seems to take well to his knew nomadic lifestyle... Excellent.

Yes.... Maverick will do nicely."

Maverick wields a spear staff, each end resembles a key, one gold, one black.

Passive is fine.

Q- It took me a while to understand this one but now that I know what it is I like it, except for one thing. I get it, if people are right next to Maverick when he casts it at it's furthest distance, those enemies are unaffected. The name and ability don't fit to me. So here's my suggestions:

Name: Rift Wake. Why the name change? Simple. It's not a dimensional slice. Rift Wake works and here's why: Maverick swings his Key Staff in a wide arc. Exactly like your ability except he swings his Key Staff in clockwise arc(important). If you were on the left side of TT and facing the right side, he'd swing from up to down by spinning clockwise.

Empowered(Black Key): Rift Wake creates a vaccuum, and enemies are pulled in the direction of the slash.

Which comes to my next suggestion(which I really hope you like):

W- Dimensional Slice- Maverick twirls his staff in front of him and opens two holes into space for three seconds. Clicking again ends Dimensional Slice.

His ability looks like this:(like two walls with a line in between. The two walls can only be so close together, but can be a decent distance away.
I=====I
I======I
I=======I

Gold Key- Allies who pass through are healed
Black Key- Enemies who pass through are damaged

The portals are two way, with the outer sides connected and inner sides connected. Anyone entering the portals edge will appear from a random side of the other portal.

Empowered Black Key- Bullets that pass through the portal(of any type) continue their progress but do half damage. Damage is released out of it's opposing portal as quantum orbs that damage their owners for half damage(ie nidalee's spear will hit Maverick for half damage then an orb of magic will be released .5 seconds after that targets the owner of the original bullet.)

Empowered Gold Key- Portals block ALL bullets.

Because the ability is so different, I need to explain all the changes and why.

First off is that the casting and recasting is too difficult. Also it defeats the purpose if it can't be used to teleport people often. The double casting of portals will be useless if you can't do it in time, where with this idea you can cast two portals quick and not have to wait.

E- Key Thrust- Maverick thrusts his key staff in the direction he's facing and after a brief delay it flares to life with a burst of energy in a radius(think supernova but at the end of his staff instead of from him). Key Thrust can pass through Dimensional Slice without Maverick himself entering.

Black key- A burst of damage.

Empowered- Enemies are slowed and any caught in the inner radius are stunned.

Gold key- AD/AP Boost

Empowered- Doubled

R- Mastery of the Keys- As is except name change to reflect keys.

Ok so here's why i did what I did.

First off there was nothing that truly distinguished your character(ie he had no niche). The spear, despite its power, seemed lackluster and had no purpose or connection with portals. I found the solution in making the ends of the spear into keys.

Also, now he can have weird skins like gemini(black and white), and such. Also the two different keys tie in with his duality.

Hope you like.