Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm pretty bad at League of Legends, and I don't know why. Any tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaredx2

08-18-2014

I've been playing this game for a pretty good while now, a few years. The thing is, I just can't seem to get very good at the game. I have some really good games, but more often than not, I have a bad game where I feed and sometimes throw the game. I mostly play mid, but I don't really have a main champion. I play a wide range of champions, and I play every role (although I don't jungle very often). Usually, all hope is lost for me at the beginning of the game, and from there it only gets worse. Basically, the first kill or death I get decides how I will play for the rest of the game. Admittedly, I don't practice as often as I should, but I think I should be at least decent most the time. As I said, I've been playing this game for a good while now.

Do you guys have any tips for someone who isn't very good at this game?

GuiltDragon

Recruiter

08-18-2014

Step one, don't do this wishy washy I can play anything stuff. Find a role, find a champ, main it, master it.

Step two, Minions are important, kill them. Seriously consider every 15-20 minions as a kill. No sense risking your life when you could just grab the next couple of waves for the same amount money right?

Step three, Start playing ranked, if you wanna improve start playing competetive matches where everyone is trying their hardest.

Step four, Stop that tilt. Dying one doesn't decide the lane. Dying twice doesn;t decide the lane. As a matter of fact, unless you're getting absolutely smashed you can still turn around lane and even game with a good gank.

Step five, Find a guide. Google "LOL Tips" or youtube it and you'll find thousands of results. Take the intiative.

Step six, Buy a ward. I don't care where you put it just put it somewhere. trust me it saves lives.

Step seven, if it's not warded don't go there. Simple right?

CakeTheCorgi

08-18-2014

Quote:
GuiltDragon:
Step one, don't do this wishy washy I can play anything stuff. Find a role, find a champ, main it, master it.

Step two, Minions are important, kill them. Seriously consider every 15-20 minions as a kill. No sense risking your life when you could just grab the next couple of waves for the same amount money right?

Step three, Start playing ranked, if you wanna improve start playing competetive matches where everyone is trying their hardest.

Step four, Stop that tilt. Dying one doesn't decide the lane. Dying twice doesn;t decide the lane. As a matter of fact, unless you're getting absolutely smashed you can still turn around lane and even game with a good gank.

Step five, Find a guide. Google "LOL Tips" or youtube it and you'll find thousands of results. Take the intiative.

Step six, Buy a ward. I don't care where you put it just put it somewhere. trust me it saves lives.

Step seven, if it's not warded don't go there. Simple right?

^
Definitely this.

Another thing I could add is to learn about different champions and their playstyles by watching them being played (better if the streamer/player is good at explaining their decisions) or testing them out at free week. The more you know about champions, the better you can predict their movements, and the better you can plan your attacks.

And step 2 is extremely important. If your opponent has twice your cs, even though you've gotten a kill on them or two, they'll most likely win. They'll have a lot more gold, that's for sure.

Detrucci

08-19-2014

1) find a champ playstyle that resonates with you...with your personality. Find a champion that you can BECOME. learn the insides and outs, learn his or her limits on touching upon death yet surviving.

2) Do not walk through jungles unwarded as a non jungler...It will get you killed.

3) Do not roam unless you are guaranteed a kill and safe passage via wards

4) Each time you base, buy 1 ward if you can. Place it on the river or at the enemy jungle exit, you will be safe from that direction for atleast 3 valuable minutes

5) Minions > Kills unless they have a bounty on their head. Sure getting kills is fantastic but only if its during the lane play and not you forgetting your cs in order to do so.

6) Winning games = Objectives > Kills

7) WARDS - if there is not enough vision on your map. tell your teammates to buy 1 ward each.

8) If your struggling in lane, play safe until lvl 6 or a gank comes. Try to turn the tide in your favour through help of power bursts.

9) Learn to look at the map after every minion wave and pinpoint the enemy jungler if he shows. It will help your map awareness.

That's all I got right now for ya mate

I3est Annie NA

08-19-2014

League was my first competitive game, and it took me 2 years to get good. after looking at your recent match history I can give you some advice.

1. Find out what champions are popular in the meta in mid to high ranked play.

2. Expand your champion pool in a lane of choice to champions that are very well balanced in everything that they do, and that you play well or have interests in. This also goes back to the "popular picks." Find out which strong pick is right for you.

3. I could say learn from your mistakes, but this does no good if you don't know what those mistakes were. So instead, all I can say it to practice and learn.

If you'd like, feel free to add me for a little 1v1/tips and tricks. I can possibly give you some advice on how to improve overall. I am also a mid laner. Gl!

Zahkara

08-19-2014

I'll admit now I'm not the best but I'm pretty good overall. Although I main tank supports but still. As everyone above has said and from what I've learned...

Have map awareness- this can save you and your teammates. If you someone disappear ping a missing enemy and warn everyone. This may not be much but check your map frequently to keep tabs on every enemy, especially the jungle. If you do you may catch a glimpse of an enemy disappear from a ward vision then you can warn who ever they are going towards. Or give yourself enough time to back off if they disappear in your direction.

Keep your lane warded-Junglers are sneaky bastards, as they should be, and will sometimes wait in the bushes until they see their chance. I don't know about mid lane since there are two sides that are open for ganks. But if you are top or bottom and the river is not warded DO NOT pass the river but stay just right in front of it. Unless you have vision of everyone on the enemy team or a guaranteed kill and escape then go right ahead but always keep that river warded. Buy a pink ward and place it in the little bush in the middle of your side of the river closest to mid lane. It'll help out both you and your mid laner. Wish I had the map to indicate where i'm talking about. hopefully that made sense.

Learn to read your enemy-Next to keeping a watchful eye on the map also watch the enemy in front of you very closely. the way they move and the direction their moving can easily give away what their planning to do. For example: early game and a Malphite is moving closer to you he is trying to poke you with his q. Same for a Yasuo he'll try to get close to you to hit you with that lunge of his(sorry I don't know Yasuo's skill order). Another example is Blitz and Alistar. Blitz will try to find an open path to land his grab. Try to keep a minions in between you and him. Alistar will try to get behind you so that he can knock you away from our tower. keep him in front of you so if he knocks you away it'll be towards your tower. Also to help make it easier to read your enemy read up on their abilities and tips at the shop or watch the champ spotlights and game plays of the champions.

Learn your role and champ-like GuiltDragon said, pick a role and pick a champ best suited for that role. It'll help you improve a lot faster. Mastering a champion will most likely make it easier for you to learn other champs with similar play styles too. It's still good to have one other role that you're decent with. Just to be a little bit versatile.

Objectives are more important than kills-it pretty much just says it all there. this is why people backdoor. if they take a tower than that means they've got more map control. the more map control you have the better your chances are at winning.

Get more cs than your enemy- As I've learned but still practicing it. learning to last hit and getting more cs will get you ahead of your enemy. If they're busy trying to poke you then that means they're not trying to get cs which means they're missing out on gold and exp. it may not be much in the moment but it;s worth it for the long run. Poke when you have a chance and then back off quickly. this will also help in your mana conservation if you're using a champ that is mana hungry.

Start playing against other people-Bot games only help you get a feel for the game and is also a good place to try out champions you are using for the first time. If you don't want to try ranked games yet play normal blind picks or team builder. This is a good way to also improve on the other things I've mentioned above. every game will be different so you'll always be thinking differently on how to get the upper-hand.

Well these are the key basic things I've learned and picked up on since i started playing. it's long yes but the read is well worth it if you want to improve. learning these skills WILL help you improve. Eventually you'll pick up on more advanced tips than I can give.

alphabeta1812

08-20-2014

The thing that placed me into silver was understanding when you can and cant trade, and abusing opponents in lane who just used abilities. You'll get this is you master a champ or 2 and know what you can win and what you cant.

The thing that got me into gold was understanding lane pressure, you know that feeling when you're team can win fights but they cant do anything with it? that's why, keep lanes where you want them, siege when you know you can. Learn to be a shot caller, then start doing it once you know what you're doing.

The thing that's keeping me from platinum is map awareness. I still tunnel in often and die as a result; ward often, but make sure you utilize your own and your allies wards to their full potential. see the jungler cross river bot side while top? feel free to abuse the enemy laner more so, etc.

Idiotic monkey

08-20-2014

1. You need to play safe. Look for safe opportunities to try and trade with the enemy in the early game.

2. Each Champion plays differently. If you are having trouble playing a champion, you can watch someone else play that champion and get some tips.

3. Start watching the LCS if you haven't already. This can also effect your gameplay. You might notice that the games are slow and low in kills and deaths. Compare the LCS games to ranked. In a normal, a lot of the time people will go for kills and multi kills and not for objectives. Its ok to go for a kill, but you should plan ahead to think of the outcome. Where is there junglier, What spells does he have up, can I fight him/her? Questions like this can save your life and help you massively..

4. Listen to your team. I can't stress how much this can help you win games or do well. If someone tells you to do something or gives you a tip, listen to it. Most of the time they are correct.