How does our memory influence our perception of toxicity? Let's do a test.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-17-2014
1 of 40 Riot Posts

Hey everyone,

There's a psychological phenomenon called negativity bias, where people tend to recall negative events more prominently compared to positive events. In fact, some scientists suggest that you need about 4 positive events to equal the impact of 1 negative event.

We've often heard that every game in League has multiple flamers and trolls. Is this true? Or is our memory playing tricks on us and creating this inaccurate perception because we remember negative events?

Let's try a test: Today, let's focus on verbal negativity (since it's easier to discuss and look at data for).

1) Try to remember a recent neutral or positive game you had, and describe it. How many games ago was it?
2) Try to remember a recent negative game you had, and describe it. How many games ago was it?
3) Try to guess how many toxic players you've met in the past 10 games

YOU MUST BE OK REVEALING YOUR CHAT LOGS IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN THIS TEST!

EDIT ::: Apologies about the 180-190 players thing. Was reviewing a different number of games per player yesterday and my brain carried over the wrong baseline. Only reviewing 10 games per player today!

EDIT ::: 1:29 PM PST, taking a break to play some games! Have fun out there!

shorterfatchode

08-17-2014

First

Heek

08-17-2014

Positive: 2 games ago. Was playing Caitlyn and had a nice support.

Negative: Last game I played. Partly my fault. This Yasuo would ping wildly on my dead character every time I died and soon started making sarcastic remarks like "pro" and "nice" whenever I died. Eventually I gave in and started arguing back at him.

Number of Negative players: 5?

pokedude309

08-17-2014

1. I dont really remember any positive games.
2. I dont really remember any negative games.
3. Probably like 15

Commando Yi

08-17-2014

there are no positive games when you pick master yi, there is only complaining that you picked master yi :O

Grand Treason

08-17-2014

1) when we were winning
2) when we were losing
3) i get mad at video games sometimes but i usually just defend myself vocally so yep

marisgard

08-17-2014

1)Every game I play as a jungler i try to be as positive as i can, since i cant be everywhere i try to get my team's hopes up.
2)went afk due a fizz going 0/8, threatened to afk and actually went afk
3)something like 8-10

KaellrusQT

08-17-2014

The only thing I remember recently is my last gaming having an afk on both sides.

I don't really remember any particular *******s/fgts or any particular good things.

FlamingoFondue

08-17-2014

post mine yolo

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2014

K

1. Can't remember.
2. Can't remember.
3. Uhhhh....five?