Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking for 3 solid top picks.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thanátos

08-16-2014

I'm going to be practicing top more in ranked, I'm gold 1, who are some solid top picks that have a lot to contribute to team play?

ObliviousLemming

08-16-2014

Irelia, Renekton, Gragas.

Built-in sustain, easy farming, no real hard counters. All scale pretty decently into lategame. The worst case scenario is you become a tank and peel for carries.
Not snowball reliant.
Uh. Overall just well-rounded safe picks.

Prysom

08-18-2014

I personally like

Volibear
Malphite
Fiora
Riven

2 tank's and 2 dps. All of which have great teamplay potential. All Armor Malph can deal a ton of damage late game and can win against almost all AA top lane champs, same with Voli and his passive and his bite are insane.

Fiora is insane dps as well as Riven. Those are just what I personally have a lot of fun with and like to play.

redniwediS

08-18-2014

Jayce is always a fine pick for top lane, and can go tanky or damage depending on what the team needs.

CakeTheCorgi

08-18-2014

1. Maokai. Tons of cc (knock back, root, slow), his passive gives him innate sustain and even more heals in team fights and his ult is basically a weaker version of Alistar's except in a radius. And we all know how scary Alistar's ult is (hint: hiding next to that turret doesn't help), and then on top of that, it does damage. His E gives vision for about half a minute and his Q is basically tiny Janna ult without the heal.

2. Shyvana. Her ult and dragon form just brings so much to teamfights that it's ridiculous. She knocks up everyone and then unleashes the massive amounts of AOE damage, while soaking up a lot of hits.

3. Wukong. His W jukes can fool a whole team if you're smart with it, leading to them using all their moves on a clone whilst your team goes in for an easy Ace. His ult knocks up all enemy champions in range (albeit once) and can have enemies running away from you, displacing themselves, just to avoid the knockup. This can lead to you swooping in on the adc and quickly taking her out, while they're still scrambling to group back up. His Q can also shred armor pretty well, destroying 30% at max level. That means if a tank has 200 armor, you'll be able to take off 60 of that (which is almost a full Randuin's Omen) for 3 seconds.

Wow cc nub

08-19-2014

Make sure you take a wide variety of champs. Like an early game, a late game, an AP/hybrid...

It used to be :
Renekton
Jax
Ryze

for the longest time. But now with the recent changes I would say otherwise. Make sure you don't pick FOTM champs. They will quickly die off leaving you with more champions to find, pick and practice with. Better off with some classic powerful top laners like Renekton for example.

I3est Annie NA

08-19-2014

I am still conviced that Ryze is an amazing pick for top. But then Comes Mundo, who can basically all in Ryze or even Jayce at level 6 without even thinking about it. Then Renek or Rengar are alright choices. Overall, Mao, Gragas, or Nid are probably the more current choices. This is my suggestion. I try to keep track of what players in plat3+ are using.