Rebuilding/Repairing Towers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WayMaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-16-2010

Edit 3: The reason why I want this to be an open discusion is so people can say things like they wouldn't want towers popping up all over the place. Thats why its a discussion and what I've said in my post is a generalized idea, not an idea set in stone. If you have something to add to the discussion, then make a post. There's 2 edits at the bottom that so far cover the main concern: lots of towers appearing all the time. This suggestion is meant to be no more then 2-3 expensive towers in a game at the cost of the champion becoming less equipped because they spent the gold on towers instead of needed equipment. Anyways, even if tower building was "spammable", then the champions would have zero equipment, meaning you would win the game much more easily.

I’m not sure if this has been suggested before, but this is a concept I’ve been pondering ever since I started playing league of legends back in early November: Give players the ability to spend gold to buy back towers or repair them. The farther away the tower is from the nexus, the more expensive the rebuild/repair would be. Obviously the pricing would have to be very well balanced so it wouldn‘t be abused but also wouldn‘t be overpriced. If done right, it could come in handy in many situations. The other thing that would be balanced is how long it takes to build/repair, how often you can do it, etc to make it not abusable but still useful in tight situations.

In all matches, each side goes back and forth killing towers, sometimes you’ll take down a tower within the first couple of minutes into the game. Towers are useful for 2 things early on: stopping creeps and defending against champions. Since enemy champions can’t take much damage from towers early on, its important to have your tower in each lane. Once you lose a tower, you can no longer safely defend that area at a lower level and a portion of your map becomes less safe. Rebuilding a tower would allow the team to go back to farming/defending closer to the enemy’s tower again at the price of some of their combat ability because they spend the gold on the tower instead of items they use. Also there’s many times when the losing solo mid character loses a lot of health on their tower, a repair would help them defend longer.

Mid game towers are still useful for stopping creeps and can help you in a fight vs. 1-2 other champions if they try to tower dive you. The map control issue is even more apparent once you lose towers mid game. Towers are not only important for the 2 original uses, but mid game ganks are coming, so they essentially act as free wards for your lanes. Once you lose them, you can’t see people moving down your lane if the enemy creeps are pushed. At this point a lot of towers are also low on health. Sometimes the enemy yi or sivir pushes half a tower on top while we gank bottom, so being able to repair that tower would be useful.

Late game towers are simple to destroy. You breath on them and they pretty much die. BUT, when they are up, they still keep pushing creeps for you and act as lane wards, so even if they don’t stop champions from tower diving you, they are useful for when no one is in your lane. By late game both teams are traveling around in groups and lanes are usually empty, meaning towers are the only thing stopping the creeps from pushing further. And now more importantly, eventually teams start hitting each others bases. In close games often times all the outer towers are destroyed on both sides. At some point, someone’s going to lose a base tower and an inhibiter will either get destroyed or close to it. Even though your inhib will respawn, you still have nothing to support your creeps to defend against enemy creeps, meaning eventually the super creeps will destroy your inhibiter again unless you turn the game around and can push some.

There’s also one other issue, once you’re inhibiter tower is destroyed, some characters can backdoor your inhib and get out before being stopped. Yes if you rebuilt the tower it can still be backdoored, but it takes additional time to take out the tower + the inhib, there’s been a countless number of situations where we could have made it in time if there was a tower there. Also people like to backdoor the other teams nexus. To stop twitch, you generally need a few wards and a solid defender, but that also takes away someone from your team fights. Rebuilding your nexus towers can give you extra time to recall to stop someone from backdooring and can help your creeps fight off the super creeps if they’ve pushed that far.

Anyone have thoughts on the Pros/Cons of implementing something like this?

Edit: I just want to note that the repairing/rebuilding towers would not add much time the game. We're talking about expensive repairs/rebuilds that are sometimes strategically important to do. It could add a few minutes to the game at the very most (and many times it may add only the time it takes for them to get destroyed), but it would not be game changing, just enough to strategically help someone defending their base.

Edit 2:To rebuild a tower, it would be too expensive and the cooldown on rebuilding/repairing would be too long to spam towers. So maybe put a cooldown of 10 minutes on the build timer so you can't build more then 1 tower per 10 minutes, in a typical game that would only mean 2-3 extra towers IF they choose to spend the high gold amount. And remember, by purchasing this tower that means they will be less equipped, meaning you may actually WIN FASTER if they choose to buy a tower when they don't need one.

FefeOxy

01-16-2010

Basically it will slow down overall game length. If people are given a second chance to your inner turret, then there would be less need for map awareness as a deciding factor in the game.

Devil May LOL

01-16-2010

heimer + repairable turret = ... you get what i meant

AdmiralKrunk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-16-2010

I just think that'll make late game go on forever. Late game high Elo is already constant 5-man ganking, waiting for the first team to make a mistake. This'll just prolong everything.

Unemployed Ninja

01-16-2010

heimer can repair towers :P although very slowly but his passive does indeed allow towers to regen life

WayMaker

Recruiter

01-16-2010

No I'm not talking about a game changing amount of rebuilds/repairs, I'm talking about expensive repairs with long cool downs. Would you rather spend say 1500 gold to get up 2 towers around your nexus at the risk of reducing your champions performance? Thats of course a number I made up, but its not going to be the cost of a health potion, we're talking about enough rebuilding/repairing to stop things like backdooring.

With this suggestion, maybe making it so its expensive enough where you wont want to repair any towers until late game? I'm sure all of you have had games where one lost tower caused you to lose the game. Another idea is to make it so you can only rebuild repair base towers (they'll still be expensive of course) with ones outside the base staying dead?

Achenpach

01-16-2010

This suggestion would just prolong the game no matter how i look at it :s

And its very frustrating to see towers keep popping up over and over again.

The fun part of the game would be making sure to defend your towers well and long enough as you only have em once

And losing one tower too early in the game (eg. 4 mins) SHOULD cost you the game as its so hard to down it at 4 mins if nothing major happens.

LahooZaher

01-16-2010

Maybe have towers respawn on their own, like inhibs. Towers would only respawn of the tower behind it is alive. The respawn rate would have to be very very long, but it would give a team that got off to a bad start but is starting to catch up a better chance at a comeback. Don't know if it would be balanced, or even a good idea, just starting the idea.

WayMaker

Recruiter

01-16-2010

Hmm not sure why people are putting a negative rating since this is a discussion about an idea and the pro/cons of it. Anyways Achenpach, the way you make it sound, towers will keep endlessly popping up. Thats not what I wanted to happen in games and should have made that clearer in my post.

To rebuild a tower, it would be too expensive and the cooldown on rebuilding/repairing would be too long to spam towers. So maybe put a cooldown of 10 minutes on the build timer so you can't build more then 1 tower per 10 minutes, in a typical game that would only mean 2-3 extra towers IF they choose to spend the high gold amount. And remember, by purchasing this tower that means they will be less equipped, meaning you may actually WIN FASTER if they choose to buy a tower when they don't need one.

@LahooZaher: thats a possibility, but the respawn would have to be very high otherwise the games would be insanely long.