Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Veigar, Lulu, and Madness

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foolish Lantern

08-14-2014

Yordle need for companionship

Yordles are not the most common example of champion in League of Legends, and even fewer are divided from yordle civilization. Of the eleven current yordles, five (Lulu, Gnar, Heimerdinger, Kennen, and Veigar) have little to no contact with other members of their species. For any other entity in LoL, this is not a big deal, but for yordles, isolation breeds insanity, at least as suggested in Teemo's lore and shown in Veigar's character. This tendency to develop madness when alone for lengthy periods of time is unique to yordles, and may in fact be a biological necessity.

For example, Teemo is already a fairly competent killer, and to prevent any instability from his time patrolling alone transforming him into an unrepentant murderer, formed a friendship with Tristana. Lulu began life as a very imaginative young girl, somewhat odd, but otherwise harmless. After being lured into the Glade by Pix, she spent an unknown amount of time playing "games" with the Fae, perhaps long enough to actually impact her development as a growing individual. Despite the separation from other yordles, she returned to the civilized world relatively sane, likely by forming a bond with Pix.

Veigar is the most obvious example of what happens to a yordle isolated from all meaningful contact, becoming a sadistic, cruel, and power-obsessed monster that, while harmless to the entirety of Runeterra, expresses no remorse for killing whatever he can point a finger at and does not hesitate to do so.

So what does all this have to do with Lulu and Veigar? It provides a greater level of meaning to their friendship beyond "two yordle mages of the opposite ***."

Why are Lulu and Veigar Friends?

Well, both are mages and currently banished from Bandle City; that is the short version, and while this is understandable, it does not properly explain why an insane yordle who wishes to rule the world would form a friendship with another mage more interested in playing games.

So how could this friendship possibly work?

Companionship

-Circumstances limit the level of exposure both Viegar and Lulu have to social interaction. Both are not welcome in Bandle City, but more importantly, both have difficulty fitting in anywhere else. Veigar is primarily interested in causing destruction and general mayhem to everything in sight, which naturally puts off most people. Lulu is generally harmless, but she has difficulty understanding when enough is enough and her antics would eventually cause enough of a disturbance local officials would either incarcerate her or drive the Fae Sorcerous out of town. Since companionship prevents yordles from slipping into madness, the two have created a friendship by default. You might ask why madness would be a factor when Lulu is already quite unhinged and Veigar is explicitly stated to be insane.

-Whether or not the Tiny Master of Evil realizes it, companionship is a biological necessity for yordles. Despite being quite mad, he is not a gibbering lunatic. Veigar has shown he is capable of rational thought and is rather articulate, thus he retains some level of humanity (or the yordle equivalent. Yordility?) What this means is that while Veigar loathes the world at large and everything in it, his need for interaction remains; he cannot help but need someone to regularly meet with. Lulu is the most conveniently available individual who will not murder Veigar on sight, thus fulfilling his need for companionship.

-Lulu on the other hand already has a companion in Pix, so why should she need another? It is possible that while Pix makes a suitable friend, it is no replacement for the compatriot a yordle requires. To clarify, Pix is clearly an intelligent being, having lured Lulu into the Glade, but it has shown no greater capacity for meaningful interaction. Pix does not speak, there is no indication that the fairy can. Pix seems to have no significant connection to Lulu beyond being a playmate. Pix is simply there. Essentially, it is possible that Pix, despite being a wonderful playmate, has only delayed Lulu's slide into insanity, and taking into account her state of mind before disappearing into the woods, she did not have far to go. Veigar balances her need for companionship.

Compatibility

-The Tiny Master of Evil and the Fae Sorcerous both act in ways that are not very beneficial for civilized society; Lulu has a mischievous streak a mile wide and Veigar enjoys destroying everything he touches. That being said, how do these details strengthen their friendship when one is clearly more extreme than the other?

-Veigar is an admittedly pathetic villain. He has a small mind for true evil and is mostly aimless malice without a sophisticated means of spreading misery. I suspect that Lulu's habit of performing pranks and causing no small amount of frustration to whoever she sets her eyes on satisfies Veigar's need for inflicting harm, at least partially. Though far from the soul-stealing, body-imploding chaos Veigar appears to enjoy based on his quotes and his abilities, Lulu's mischief appeals to him on some basic level of tormenting others, however petty it might be. In fact, it might be possible their antics serve as a distraction preventing Veigar from causing any serious damage. In short, the Tiny Master of Evil has not taken over Runeterra because he is having too much fun with childish pranks.

-Lulu in turn loves to play, obviously. She lives for fun at others' expense, though does not seem keen on creating any real harm. It is possible that her line of thinking is parallel to an otherwise sane individual; close enough to recognize, but uncannily different ("Never look a tulip in the eye&quot. The Fae Sorcerous may not even register her antics are causing any form of damage. Thus, Lulu may fail to grasp why most individuals have no interest in playing her games, leaving her alone and confused. Veigar fills the desire for a friend who willingly, if begrudgingly, partakes of her games. Being an exile, Veigar has no responsibilities to fulfill, and thus all the time in the world to play, the perfect partner in crime.

TL;DR

Veigar and Lulu are friends because circumstances make each the most convenient source of companionship that yordles instinctively need and they share the same interests, if on completely different levels.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

NeoJusteBelmont

08-14-2014

Hm, reading it the lores, even if it's stated that 'interactions especially from other yordles', it seems that as long as there are interactions, a yordle can avoid being crazy. Veigar's drive to madness was because while he was incarcerated in prison, the Noxian jailers made it so that he's isolated from ANYONE. On one hand, Kennen is allowed to visit Bandle City time to time, and his companionship with Shen and Akali would also strengthen his mind. Heimerdinger lives in Piltover, but it's not like he could just fly to Bandle City for home coming (thought he's one of those who built Corki's ship?), and I thought that some Yordles also made a move to Piltover (probably inspired with Heimer's fame as a scientist). And Gnar... CMIIW, but I thought that aside of his awakening from Rengar, he's also... taken in by the modern Bandle City residents?

But enough about that, I really enjoy reading this whole thing, so kudos to you, really. It's a good read and does justice to both Veigar and Lulu.

Foolish Lantern

08-15-2014

Quote:
NeoJusteBelmont:
Hm, reading it the lores, even if it's stated that 'interactions especially from other yordles', it seems that as long as there are interactions, a yordle can avoid being crazy. Veigar's drive to madness was because while he was incarcerated in prison, the Noxian jailers made it so that he's isolated from ANYONE. On one hand, Kennen is allowed to visit Bandle City time to time, and his companionship with Shen and Akali would also strengthen his mind. Heimerdinger lives in Piltover, but it's not like he could just fly to Bandle City for home coming (thought he's one of those who built Corki's ship?), and I thought that some Yordles also made a move to Piltover (probably inspired with Heimer's fame as a scientist). And Gnar... CMIIW, but I thought that aside of his awakening from Rengar, he's also... taken in by the modern Bandle City residents?

I noticed such, which is why I intentionally left those three out of my analysis, and in all honesty was hoping someone would point it out.

Yordle insanity seems to be caused by isolation, not from other yordles, but any contact. This notion is supported by Kennen and Heimerdinger who have no contact and minimum contact with yordles respectively.

Kennen has no connection with Bandle City whatsoever beyond it being his likely place of birth. However, he has not slipped into madness primarily through being a member of the Kinkou Order (or what is left of it). He has formed a bond, so to speak, with his ninja comrades.

Heimerdinger, while a yordle first and foremost, seems more connected with Piltover than Bandle City. There in the City of Progress he is a respected professor and revered inventor, as his title would imply. Suffice to say, Heimerdinger likely has his fill of social interaction, not to mention Bandle City is only a short* flight away.

*The actual distance is unknown, and considering the average speed of a zeppelin, a flight by airship would be significantly longer than one by fixed-wing aircraft. Still faster than train or carriage though.

Gnar is a very special case, one we know hardly anything about. Being a prehistoric yordle, he may not experience the loss isolation brings as acutely as modern yordles. On the other hand, it may be more pronounced. So far, he seems relatively sane, if primitive, and only exhibits extremely violent tendencies when enraged. Due to his rather uncivilized background, interaction with modern society might be a bit strained and may not entirely fulfill the same need for companionship (alone in a crowd). Essentially, he may or may not be on his way to insanity, it is too early to tell. He is listed as Lulu's friend, and vice versa, so I doubt he will lose his mind.

Quote:
NeoJusteBelmont:
But enough about that, I really enjoy reading this whole thing, so kudos to you, really. It's a good read and does justice to both Veigar and Lulu.

Thank you. I enjoy believing there is more to their relationship than simply being two yordle mages in similar circumstances.

Motajo

08-15-2014

I like that you sought justification for their relationship beyond "OMG SO ADORABLE"

Foolish Lantern

08-15-2014

Quote:
Motajo:
I like that you sought justification for their relationship beyond "OMG SO ADORABLE"

There are many official friendships in League of Legends, but few are quite so curious as Lulu and Veigar. Heck, prior to Gnar, Veigar was Lulu's only friend. I think it goes without saying the two make an odd couple. However, thanks to Riot being particularly vague with lore, there is quite a bit of room for interpretation, and that is what I find interesting; their respective personalities open all sorts of possibilities for the stance of their relationship.

Lulu and Veigar are adorable, but they are also quite twisted in their own little way; a sorcerous with a skewed perspective on reality and a flimsy grasp on morality coupled with an outright sadistic madman. How does that not sound incredibly fun (horrifying)?!

Dladesyx

10-02-2014

I really like this. Veigar is one of my favorite characters, and I'd really enjoy if he could go pass his childishness and cartoon villian type of evilness and transform into a real Threat like Brand or Xerath.

I suppose it wouldn't be a far-flung idea to think that Veigar companionship with Lulu would help his insanity and make him walk a more direct path towards real chaos and destruction... Or even conquest. It would be pretty ironic... And awesome.