Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Strategies vs Gnar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SethCypher

08-14-2014

Hey guys, since Gnar is relatively new and I don't have the IP to actually buy him and get to know his mechanics better I was hoping some players who played as or against Gnar might be able to share some tactics and maybe items that counter him. Specifically as a top, I feel like he has really strong harass with no resources on his abilities. So as a melee top how should I approach him? Does he have any windows where he's incredibly succeptible to rushes/harasses?

AkarisLight

08-14-2014

So I spectated a couple of my friends playing Gnar to get an idea of his mechanics, his windows, etc. because I also can't afford him, so if you can, I highly recommend that, and just follow gnar the whole time.

Secondly, I played against one last night as Jarvan, and it seems like if you can read his boomerang toss, you can avoid it, poke heavy at level 1, rush to level 2, go in on him and then control the lane from that point. A lot of Gnar's like to run past you, and hop off you when trying to escape, so if you can learn to kite that, you get a couple more seconds out of the trade before they give up and hop away. Watch for minion waves as well, because they can use that as an escape. Also, if you can harass constantly, you can control his mega gnar transformation which means you can control his rhythm. Just be mindful of ganks.

Valfarr

08-14-2014

Well I've been playing Gnar and have not lost my lane (unless 4 of them dive me) and he is quite hard to counter... KEEP an eye out on his "mega" meter. As soon as you see it fill up and his animation for transformation starts, back away from him. Let him evolve and do his stuff and once he goes back to mini Gnar, resume your laning phase.

While in his mini form, try do dodge his Boomerang as it does damage and the slow will give him free poke on you. He is like Tristana and Vayne. He can hop like Trist, and has the same passive as Vayne's 3rd true damage strike (and condemn against walls with his ult. Same as poppy too I guess). His 3rd strike gives him both movement and attack speed as well as extra damage on that third strike. His hop is the only unpredictable thing. Note that he WILL kite you if you try to rush him, especially if his mega bar is almost full. He might be 10% health, walks into a brush and jumps back at you in Mega Gnar form with 75% health and MASSIVE damage.

While in his Mega form, just sit back and wait for it to cool down. Like I said, he will kite you when he is close to transform. Some things that I do, are: If I am close to transform, I will hop on a minion and bounce onto my opponent, as I do, I already transformed and just smash/stun down with my E, slow and damage with my Q and if he's close to a wall, ult them. Not that they might flash out of the way too so the combo might fail. Also if I see the jungler coming for a dive, I try to keep my meter balanced so when they dive, I transform and get tanky and do damage. Usually I end up with 2 kills when it does work.

Just think of him as an ADC except on his mega form. Think of him as a Malphite then.

GundayMonday

Recruiter

08-14-2014

I played a few games with him last night. Valfarr makes a really good point about how you can control his rage by harassing him to trigger a transformation. You can make him transform to make jungle ganks easier (harder to escape when he's in his mega form)
You can also use your range more efficiently once he transforms because he'll have a hard time gapclosing and getting into melee range. Something like a Xerath or Ziggs or Jayce or Teemo would be a nightmare to lane against for a Gnar player.

Right after Gnar transforms back to his mini mode, there's a 13 second window where he can't gain rage. So figure you have ~20s minimum where he is stuck in adc mode. That's a fantastic window to try to all in and burst him down. If you can manipulate that rhythm by harassing until he transforms, back off, then all in when he transforms back, you'll have an easier time.

Still thinking about the best way to play against him, but that's my thinking after 3 Gnar games.