Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Laners that are Always Stronk?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AliExpress

08-13-2014

Hey guys,

What would you say are some top lane champs that you can always play regardless of patch to patch shifts and perform well on. Preferably that scale well. I am looking for just 1-2 top champs to get descent with as that is my worst role thus far. I was thinking ryze. Any other suggestions?

PS: this is for gold-> high plat elo as i have accounts in both. Also someone not to difficult so i dont have to always practice with them to do well.

Wow cc nub

08-14-2014

Well since you're higher ranked than me, take this lightly x)

I would recommend champions that were never really FOTM, just always strong picks, solid champs overall or high potential champions.

Renekton
Jax
Nidalee
Tryndamere
Pantheon
Lee Sin
Kennen (I find him so strong, but maybe that's just me. If so, discard this pick)

Duke Anax

08-14-2014

I say Ryze would be a good pick, he is quite popular tops and he can shut down a lot of melee champs, simply because he outranges them.

I also found Garen to be quite good for me as he is quite easy to use. With his passive healing and wave clear you don't have to worry much about trading and CS. As a support/jungle main I don't really do the last hitting thing all too well (;

However I'm not ranked yet, so can't really say how good they perform upper ranks.

WreckingWall

08-14-2014

Vladimir and Nasus are my go-top picks for top lane, and they don't require much skill compared to other champions. Vladimir being my safe pick and Nasus being my secondary pick if I know I will win lane with him. People say Vladimir is weak early game, but a great remedy for that would be running 9-21-0 masteries, which will make you very tanky early on and making it harder to stop you from being that late game monster he is. He just needs to get a good ult in.

If the enemy picks a tanky top laner, you can farm on Nasus very freely. He has become more in favor in recent patches due to the nerfs on early game junglers. He scales just as well as vlad too, if not better.

These champions are not FOTM, so you'll be fine picking them for a good while.

ObliviousLemming

08-14-2014

Irelia

You do true damage on your basic attacks, low cooldown ult that helps you splitpush if you want.

She also scales hard like Jax
+Free Tenacity from her passive.

AliExpress

08-14-2014

Quote:
WreckingWall:
Vladimir and Nasus are my go-top picks for top lane, and they don't require much skill compared to other champions. Vladimir being my safe pick and Nasus being my secondary pick if I know I will win lane with him. People say Vladimir is weak early game, but a great remedy for that would be running 9-21-0 masteries, which will make you very tanky early on and making it harder to stop you from being that late game monster he is. He just needs to get a good ult in.

If the enemy picks a tanky top laner, you can farm on Nasus very freely. He has become more in favor in recent patches due to the nerfs on early game junglers. He scales just as well as vlad too, if not better.

These champions are not FOTM, so you'll be fine picking them for a good while.

Granted Vlad being super strong late game, do you not find his kit very team dependent? I have debating Susan (nasus) as well however these days you see a lot more CC heave jglers and supports. Making it incredibly hard to close in on select targets.

Quote:
ObliviousLemming:

You do true damage on your basic attacks, low cooldown ult that helps you splitpush if you want.

She also scales hard like Jax
+Free Tenacity from her passive.

Irelia is strong up until mid game. Yet she seems a bit tricky to play as compared to others? How difficult is she to do well with.

So far ive trimmed the list to:

Ryze
Trynd (situational pick)
Nasus (situational pick)
Irelia

far 2 hybrid

08-14-2014

Believe it or not Trundle is a pretty good top his kit is well balanced he has a damage nerfer an aoe stat booster a wall for separation or blocking and an ult that deals lot of damage over time and shreds armor if they have any....xin is also pretty good up top

Lamia Miia

08-15-2014

Quote:
Duke Anax:
I say Ryze would be a good pick, he is quite popular tops and he can shut down a lot of melee champs, simply because he outranges them.

I also found Garen to be quite good for me as he is quite easy to use. With his passive healing and wave clear you don't have to worry much about trading and CS. As a support/jungle main I don't really do the last hitting thing all too well (;

However I'm not ranked yet, so can't really say how good they perform upper ranks.

Ryze doesn't even have to shut down his laner. He can lose lane, but as long as he farms (even under tower) then he outscales most top laners and becomes very powerful late-game.

Snoop Kong

08-15-2014

Renekton. He is auto-win lane.