Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Typical ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGamer9001

08-07-2014

Quote:
Thunder Kats:
One of the guys I beat in my placement series went 2-8 in his placement and landed in silver 5 somehow (this guy had less than 5 kills in all of his games and more than 15 deaths in all of his games). I do not think you are a bronzie yet, but you should play the game to have fun and improve no matter the score or the game mode. Oh and no matter the game mode you will play better if you feel good. I always try to eat,visit the GF and shower before I play a ranked game. Even if ranked goes poorly I am still in a pretty good mood. ;p

Well that gives me some confidence. To hear someone say that I'm not yet bronze, that helped. It's good to know I'm not in a lost cause. But I think he might've landed in silver v because of his MMR. Not entirely sure, but hey, the ranked system is always different for every person. Even if I am competitive, I always take into account, that I play to also have fun. EATING? VISITING FRIENDS? SHOWERING? WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD THOSE? Jokes aside, I'd like to say that your post will affect me in further ranked matches to come.

TheGamer9001

08-07-2014

Quote:
Taggot:
Before trying to improve your mechanics and knowledge, having a good attituide is key. I'm currently in gold 3, and I've found out that some games are just extremely hard to win. That being said, you need to accept the fact that you won't win every game. Heck, having a win rate of just over 50% is just dandy. Really, what I'm trying to say is don't let past games make you go on tilt, try not to rage, and take a break if you find yourself raging or losing a lot.

I play two ranked games a day, and I have temporarily stopped for now. I might resume tomorrow, and I do go into every game with a cheerful mood. It detoriates sort of at an alarming rate once I lose BOTH of the matches in one day. I'll have to learn to accept that losses do happen...but there always might be hope. I haven't gone on tilt in a long time, and I take breaks on occasion. I'll have to take them more often, and be more relaxed & ready next time, I suppose!

TheGamer9001

08-07-2014

Quote:
Remhouse:
The choice... try to push your lane and roam a bit. I mean... losing your first tower is nothing in comparison to gaining another tower in another lane. If you already took your tower on your lane... you can permise yourself to lose (as the external T1 tower is not that much as the game will advance).

Try grabbing the mid tower as fast as possible. Grabbing drakes at early time is also a good way to push your lead through the ceiling !

I mean... every game can't be a win... but you can make it so you work in a way to put your odds of winnings on the bright side. Every game I play... I always end up with a positive KDA... that means I grab more kills then deaths (and also assists count but I divide them by two for my own purpose).

Try to always grab champions you know that can make the difference in any composition. For my own, I always play Nidalee top when I can... because I find her great and I'm able to make plays (I'm a selfish player... but mechanically great so I like those champs that can grab kills easily by abusing the weakness of others champions to feed myself... then... I peel for my team... teleport onto bot lane to make them snowball harder).

Alright, so I'll have to roam next time once I start winning my lane. Use that time when my opponent is dead, to roam instead of farm more. I do main Lee Sin, and he's amazing during the early game, and is very good at taking out the enemy carries, has great sustain, spectacular mobility, with a high skillcap. I believe that any champion can make a difference, as long as they're played right. Speaking of peeling, I take every moment to peel for my carries if the enemy team isn't so fed that they can kill me in 2 seconds or so, AND erase the rest of my team in the next few seconds. Thanks for the advice, as always!

WarlordMichael

08-07-2014

Play champions you are comfortable with, and play styles you are much more familiar with.

1. Consider Dropping ignite in favor of Teleport when you top lane, as that 1 kill on your lane opponent is nice but you play strong early game champions that have no issues bullying people around without ignite. Having the Flexibility to suddenly TP/Kick the opposing bot lane into yours can quickly turn a game around.

2. With Lee Sin consider Ravenous Hydra instead of BoTRK, the waveclear will keep them from pushing through your tower early and allow you to keep pressure on them (remember to have wards to hop to so you can escape if needed. Make yourself a big split push threat and then use your maneuverability to escape when they commit to stopping you. This also means you can push the wave early and move out of lane to threaten mid (even if you dont go the whole way down the midlaner will still hear the MIA call and be less likely to all in your mid, after 2-3 fake rotations either TP bot or actually gank mid (as he will stop pulling back at some stage)

I personally play very few Champions in ranked and mostly champions that are not meta champions simply because they can bypass the standard champions in the role.

For example I am leaning towards Warwick top now because he can duel anyone after level 7, and has massive sustain in case they go a ranged top (I just build Glacial, BoTRK and then Q>R>Q>Blade and chase them down with my E running).

Lagloading

08-08-2014

In my experience, it is better to play what you're good at versus what is 'OP'. For me, I'm personally better at playing carries because I've always played them and sometimes I notice that my instincts for a carry bleed over when I'm not playing one. For example, I've recently taken to playing Nautilus jungle, and I catch myself at the back of my team as if I was the ADC. Watch out for those mechanical mistakes that you can fix and make yourself better, because in every game you are a factor.

As other people have mentioned, if you lose 2-3 in a row, take a break or play some Dominion or something. Losing frustrates you and puts you in a bad frame of mind and you play much worse. Take it from me, I got placed in silver 1, failed gold 5 promos 3 separate times, then went on tilt all the way down to silver 4 and I'm still recovering from it.

If you want, I can duo with you and we can help each other improve. It's always nice to know theres one less potential troll in your game

TheGamer9001

08-08-2014

Quote:
WarlordMichael:
Play champions you are comfortable with, and play styles you are much more familiar with.

1. Consider Dropping ignite in favor of Teleport when you top lane, as that 1 kill on your lane opponent is nice but you play strong early game champions that have no issues bullying people around without ignite. Having the Flexibility to suddenly TP/Kick the opposing bot lane into yours can quickly turn a game around.

2. With Lee Sin consider Ravenous Hydra instead of BoTRK, the waveclear will keep them from pushing through your tower early and allow you to keep pressure on them (remember to have wards to hop to so you can escape if needed. Make yourself a big split push threat and then use your maneuverability to escape when they commit to stopping you. This also means you can push the wave early and move out of lane to threaten mid (even if you dont go the whole way down the midlaner will still hear the MIA call and be less likely to all in your mid, after 2-3 fake rotations either TP bot or actually gank mid (as he will stop pulling back at some stage)

I personally play very few Champions in ranked and mostly champions that are not meta champions simply because they can bypass the standard champions in the role.

For example I am leaning towards Warwick top now because he can duel anyone after level 7, and has massive sustain in case they go a ranged top (I just build Glacial, BoTRK and then Q>R>Q>Blade and chase them down with my E running).

I always built BoTRK to melt down opposing top laners who had a bit of survivability, and for the chase potential with the slow with the active. But now that I think of it, ravenous hydra does seem to be a lot more useful. Clearing waves in about 3 seconds and then teleporting to a bot ward and then taking down that turret, seems a lot more effective. Ravenous Hydra will also help me be more beneficial in teamfights, with the AoE that I can use to take out clumped up teams. I take ignite because I'm usually not very confident in winning lane, but after these matches, I'm sure I can start taking them with Lee Sin's early game strength no problem. Thanks for this advice, I'll definitely use this.

TheGamer9001

08-08-2014

Quote:
Lagloading:
In my experience, it is better to play what you're good at versus what is 'OP'. For me, I'm personally better at playing carries because I've always played them and sometimes I notice that my instincts for a carry bleed over when I'm not playing one. For example, I've recently taken to playing Nautilus jungle, and I catch myself at the back of my team as if I was the ADC. Watch out for those mechanical mistakes that you can fix and make yourself better, because in every game you are a factor.

As other people have mentioned, if you lose 2-3 in a row, take a break or play some Dominion or something. Losing frustrates you and puts you in a bad frame of mind and you play much worse. Take it from me, I got placed in silver 1, failed gold 5 promos 3 separate times, then went on tilt all the way down to silver 4 and I'm still recovering from it.

If you want, I can duo with you and we can help each other improve. It's always nice to know theres one less potential troll in your game

I never play anything because it's "OP", I play it because it's what I have the most experience with, and what I most enjoy. Lee Sin in lanes from my view wasn't always too popular, since he was regularly suited to jungle, but I've learned and adapted to playing him in my personal favorite lane. I'd be happy to play a custom for you to criticize what I'm doing wrong, or what I could potentially improve on. I'll have to think about the duo queue offer, due to the fact that when I duo queued with my friend, the mid and bot opposing laners just started to wreck them. BUT if we win, It''ll get calculated as MMR, and I will possibly end up in a higher tier. Feel free to add me on League, @TheGamer9001.

GoldenSriracha

08-08-2014

Honestly i think you've just been unlucky and had some bad teams. I know this is usually the wrong thing to say but you've done really well in ranked so far individually it seems. Keep playing man you'll win some games.

TheGamer9001

08-09-2014

Well, I'd like to thank you ALL for your input and your advice. Regrettably, I won't be playing ranked for a while, and I'll end up playing normals and practicing other roles. I also got into uh, Dota 2. DON'T SHUN ME YET, for some strange reason, after I play Dota, I end up coming back to league refreshed, with a clearer feel for the game, and it just becomes overall more comfortable to play. I'll be ending up playing Dota 2 for a while, but I'll return to League of Legends when I'm once again fully confident and trustworthy in my abilities. Thank you once again, everything on this thread has affected me, and I'm 100% sure I can end up in a higher tier if I just followed all of your advice

xNSGx Mendal

10-02-2014

I thought were you were placed was based of your win/loss ratio in the normals you've played before ranked. So if you have a 25% win ratio you'll be placed in Bronze regardless. If you have a 50-60% in ratio and have decent ranked placement matches you'll end up in Silver5 or 4. Just know this. it doesn't matter where you place. The more you play the better you get and the more you will learn. I might be wrong about the normals being a factor. But just know when I was placed after winning 6/10 matches with very high KDA's I was placed in Bronze 4. After getting over the fact I was ranked so low I wanted to prove to myself I was a better player. So I kept on the grind and ended up going on a 16 game win streak. I was privileged enough to skip an entire division and went from B3 to B1 in the matter of 2 days. I'm currently in S4 and i'm on a 6 game win streak and only 26 or so points from being in my promo matches. just keep the right attitude and positive thoughts in mind. Only play the champions you're good at. Even if you are countered you have a better chance at playing a champ you're good at then playing a counter to their champion that you've only played maybe 3 times before. Good luck with your grind.