Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Typical ranked

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGamer9001

Junior Member

08-06-2014

So, I finally got the balls to play ranked after 2 seasons. I regret, EVERYTHING. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bronze v for this, and I can't bear the thought of it at all. I'm 4/10 games in, and I guess I'm wise enough to ask for some advice now. My question is...why am I bad at this game?

I mean, losing 4 ranked games in a row when you first started isn't really the greatest start. I had high hopes to at LEAST be put in silver, and I was pretty confident about it too. All that built up confidence turned to dust when I played ranked. Sure, I won lane 3 games, and almost won it the remaining one time, 'till I had this genius idea to accidentally click my map and maneuver my mouse away...that time, I was queuing with my friend in gold v if that made things better. Ended up 1/4 that match, with my friend going 1/9. I lost a large chunk of confidence that match.

A lot of people will be replying "lol fgt ur bad 1v1 me skrub" or something of the sort. The people who do are exactly right. I never did ranked before, because I had the fear of being put into bronze. This is my last ditch attempt to fix my other 6 games before I make the same mistakes again. I usually main top lee sin, and had to fill in for mid with zed one match. The early game was a breeze, went past without much difficulty. But my other laners ended up losing, eventually. I'm sure that it was my fault, since I didn't really roam to help them. I was worried that my turret would go down if I did roam, but I suppose there is no denying the inevitable. So basically, when the other laners start to lose lanes, I'm not mantheon enough to help them. I think that might be a mistake...or is it not? My friend DID constantly tell me that I had to carry, and build like a carry. I doubted it, since Lee Sin doesn't have the best late game, and when I played zed, it was sort of hard to carry, considering the enemy team was immensely fed.

I'm asking for advice on how I improve my gameplay. Lolking me @TheGamer9001, make fun of me on the forums so I can laugh at something, something that could help. Also, don't think this is a thread that's like "wow my team sux balls i m best player na i dont belong in dis league cuz im 2pro" or "WOW STUPID ELO HELL IM WAY BETTER THAN THIS", because I really do believe that I'm the one causing these games to be lost. A large chunk of the kills I get are from lane, usually, so I'm not really ksing much, and I usually get around 60-90% of the cs during laning phase, discluding the one game where I went 1/4. So, basically this is a thread begging for someone to save me from this predicament I'm in, to see what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm unlucky, or just, whatever.

TL;DR- UNINSTALL NOOB! STOP PLAYING RANKED! 1039032

Git Gud Skrub.jpg

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karnagge

Member

08-06-2014

Focus on your game, and ping out objectives after winning fights instead of just backing to buy items you got from the kill gold.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGamer9001

Junior Member

08-06-2014

Quote:
Karnagge:
Focus on your game, and ping out objectives after winning fights instead of just backing to buy items you got from the kill gold.


Well, I didn't really back much. Thanks to the early sustain I had with Pee Sin and Zed, I had the chance to stay in lane longer, help my jungler out a few times, and getting objectives was fairly tough. As the enemy team was fed almost every time, they usually got dragon pretty quickly, and pushed all the lanes so far towards us, it was hard to even fight back. I took down a few turrets here and there while they were distracted, but it wasn't effective enough. Though that is good advice, I do exactly that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remhouse

Senior Member

08-06-2014

First of all... let me put this clear. KSing does not exist. If you were able to grab the kill... it's your (of course... if someone is fed enough and he's having his way to a pentakill... it would be nice to give him).

Ranked games are quite horrible when you play too many in a row and you get to lose many of them. Try taking a break and focusing on what you can do to improve your play.

I am not a god lol player... I'm just trying to give some advice that helped me...

First of all... try watching some videos of good players giving advice on how to improve your gameplay. Don't try to mimick their plays... but you'll find them under the elo hell category on youtube (just research them).

I got 5 tips that might help you out enjoying most out of those ranked games.

1 - Buy wards. The vision is not enough with the trinket. Always try to grab a pink at your first or second back and placing it defensively. Stealth wards are also good has you can have 3 minutes vision of the jungle entries that might save your life. Giving a kill is worth more then a ward that will cost you 75-100 gold.

2 - Never flame. Even if you are doing good... you can't do **** for your other lanes. Don't blame them and try to actually give them polite advice. League of Legends is a teamwork game... The best thing imo is to not talk to people who flame. Let them wreck your chat and focus on the game. It is, for me, a motivation to perform because I have a good reason to carry the team.

3 - Don't overextend when you're ahead. The best way of screwing up a lead is to push your lane too far when you grab the first tower. If you don't have vision of the jungler... this might lead in a kill and a shutdown on you (which give a bunch of gold and can put back someone in the game). Try to play safe if you are behind. If you gave the first kill in your lane, don't get aggro... just try to keep up on farm. A kill is worth about 15-20 cs (depends on which one you hit up)... so it's not a mess to give a kill or two on a unfair matchup (which will happen since you can get countered harder in ranked).

4 - Grab objectives and make calls. A drake is worth like 900 gold for the team... that's quite good. Each tower you get will put more pressure on the enemy team and will extend your gold lead by afar. Group up when you know you can pressure mid tower (which is the more important tower to get as it open the map a lot... but a lot). After a good teamfight... always try to grab a tower, a drake or something that is worth more gold.

5 - Improve your gameplay and be consistent. The only thing you can control is your level of play. If you lose confidence in you cause you lose some games in a streak... take a break of ranked games... If you don't feel to tryhard, don't play them on that day (you are a human with feelings... having a bad or a rough day will impact on your game). Be consistent... play champs you know you are comfortable with. Don't grab some mystery pick. They are OP champs in the game... spam them at lower elo... this is how you can carry.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/36434359#matches/1483725266

I only play Nidalee (not only... but when I can I grab her) with always the same build path (with some variations depending on the matchup). That's how I play... the same champs on top lane...

I basically got 5 champs + 1 if he got banned.

Top : Nidalee / Riven
Mid : Heimerdinger / Orianna
Adc : Corki / Twitch
Support : Thresh / Morgana
Jungler : Amumu and i've bought Lee Sin today so I might try him.

Hope I helped you a bit !


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGamer9001

Junior Member

08-06-2014

Quote:
Remhouse:
First of all... let me put this clear. KSing does not exist. If you were able to grab the kill... it's your (of course... if someone is fed enough and he's having his way to a pentakill... it would be nice to give him).

Ranked games are quite horrible when you play too many in a row and you get to lose many of them. Try taking a break and focusing on what you can do to improve your play.

I am not a god lol player... I'm just trying to give some advice that helped me...

First of all... try watching some videos of good players giving advice on how to improve your gameplay. Don't try to mimick their plays... but you'll find them under the elo hell category on youtube (just research them).

I got 5 tips that might help you out enjoying most out of those ranked games.

1 - Buy wards. The vision is not enough with the trinket. Always try to grab a pink at your first or second back and placing it defensively. Stealth wards are also good has you can have 3 minutes vision of the jungle entries that might save your life. Giving a kill is worth more then a ward that will cost you 75-100 gold.

2 - Never flame. Even if you are doing good... you can't do **** for your other lanes. Don't blame them and try to actually give them polite advice. League of Legends is a teamwork game... The best thing imo is to not talk to people who flame. Let them wreck your chat and focus on the game. It is, for me, a motivation to perform because I have a good reason to carry the team.

3 - Don't overextend when you're ahead. The best way of screwing up a lead is to push your lane too far when you grab the first tower. If you don't have vision of the jungler... this might lead in a kill and a shutdown on you (which give a bunch of gold and can put back someone in the game). Try to play safe if you are behind. If you gave the first kill in your lane, don't get aggro... just try to keep up on farm. A kill is worth about 15-20 cs (depends on which one you hit up)... so it's not a mess to give a kill or two on a unfair matchup (which will happen since you can get countered harder in ranked).

4 - Grab objectives and make calls. A drake is worth like 900 gold for the team... that's quite good. Each tower you get will put more pressure on the enemy team and will extend your gold lead by afar. Group up when you know you can pressure mid tower (which is the more important tower to get as it open the map a lot... but a lot). After a good teamfight... always try to grab a tower, a drake or something that is worth more gold.

5 - Improve your gameplay and be consistent. The only thing you can control is your level of play. If you lose confidence in you cause you lose some games in a streak... take a break of ranked games... If you don't feel to tryhard, don't play them on that day (you are a human with feelings... having a bad or a rough day will impact on your game). Be consistent... play champs you know you are comfortable with. Don't grab some mystery pick. They are OP champs in the game... spam them at lower elo... this is how you can carry.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/36434359#matches/1483725266

I only play Nidalee (not only... but when I can I grab her) with always the same build path (with some variations depending on the matchup). That's how I play... the same champs on top lane...

I basically got 5 champs + 1 if he got banned.

Top : Nidalee / Riven
Mid : Heimerdinger / Orianna
Adc : Corki / Twitch
Support : Thresh / Morgana
Jungler : Amumu and i've bought Lee Sin today so I might try him.

Hope I helped you a bit !


All of this advice are things I've heard quite a lot. I usually follow all of them, but I stopped warding in games some time ago, occasionally grab a sightstone mid-late game on lee sin to make plays, get some vision on baron/dragon, etc. I play 2 ranked games a day, to prevent throwing games, and going on tilt. I never overextend, and always mia when I can. I've already addressed that obtaining objectives in those games were quite difficult, but whenever I saw the oppurtunity, I took it. I always compliment my teammates when they do something that's worth commending for. This was all very solid advice, but I do follow all of them. But something that did really get me thinking, was how you said that I can't really do anything for my other lanes. What am I to do in that situation? If I'm fed, and dominating my lane, but the same goes for the other opposing laners, and if I leave my lane, the turret will die...what are my choices?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhyDoIevenTry

Junior Member

08-06-2014

I lost every single game in my first 10 games of ranked this season and was put into bronze IV. I didn't feel like I belonged there but eventually I agreed I did because I didn't play ranked at all in the off season so it then became fine with me. So it took a handful of games to get back to gold IV where I was last season but I managed to get there in about 50 games. I kept going on losing streaks though and ending up back in silver where I stayed for quite awhile but when I got back into gold I kept climbing and now I'm in gold I.
So for some tips on ranked. Don't take things too seriously in solo q, meaning don't be offended and let it deter you from ranked by the people who rage at you and say you suck blah blah blah just mute them and do your thing. No sense it starting in argument that is meaningless. Or if you do poorly one game just forget about that game and go onto the next one with a positive attitude. Just play the game because you want to get better. Learn how to play every role so that if you have to fill in you know what to do. Ideally you would want to main one or two champs for each role and know them like the back of your hand. (I don't do this) but if you want to gain elo and get better at ranked play you should. Practice last hitting in customs with the champs you play. Doing this will greatly increase your cs and make some goals for yourself. Like getting 100 cs in 10 mins, 200 cs in 20 mins then try to keep increasing the total each time you practice. Also play a warm up game before you play ranked. This will help you get comfortable before playing a ranked game. Last thing, play for fun. People take this game way too seriously and forget that League is just game and is meant to be just for fun.
For me, there is still a lot to learn about the game and I'm always wanting to get better and every game you have to take something from it. Try to learn something new every game of what you could of done better about your personal performance even if you win or lose. This will keep you in the mind set that you could have always done something better to improve your performance in every game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGamer9001

Junior Member

08-07-2014

Quote:
zigzag661:
I lost every single game in my first 10 games of ranked this season and was put into bronze IV. I didn't feel like I belonged there but eventually I agreed I did because I didn't play ranked at all in the off season so it then became fine with me. So it took a handful of games to get back to gold IV where I was last season but I managed to get there in about 50 games. I kept going on losing streaks though and ending up back in silver where I stayed for quite awhile but when I got back into gold I kept climbing and now I'm in gold I.
So for some tips on ranked. Don't take things too seriously in solo q, meaning don't be offended and let it deter you from ranked by the people who rage at you and say you suck blah blah blah just mute them and do your thing. No sense it starting in argument that is meaningless. Or if you do poorly one game just forget about that game and go onto the next one with a positive attitude. Just play the game because you want to get better. Learn how to play every role so that if you have to fill in you know what to do. Ideally you would want to main one or two champs for each role and know them like the back of your hand. (I don't do this) but if you want to gain elo and get better at ranked play you should. Practice last hitting in customs with the champs you play. Doing this will greatly increase your cs and make some goals for yourself. Like getting 100 cs in 10 mins, 200 cs in 20 mins then try to keep increasing the total each time you practice. Also play a warm up game before you play ranked. This will help you get comfortable before playing a ranked game. Last thing, play for fun. People take this game way too seriously and forget that League is just game and is meant to be just for fun.
For me, there is still a lot to learn about the game and I'm always wanting to get better and every game you have to take something from it. Try to learn something new every game of what you could of done better about your personal performance even if you win or lose. This will keep you in the mind set that you could have always done something better to improve your performance in every game.


Now that's some advice that I never thought of. I used to practice cs in customs, hit the 200cs/20min mark a couple times, and luckily I never had anybody rage at me on my team. I'm not really a master of other lanes, but I've been maining top ever since season 2. I used to practice duo-laning with my friend, and I might be an average adc, and I can occasionally fill in mid with a top champion. But I'm really impressed by how you chose to persevere through your losses in your placement matches, and got to gold 1 in the end anyways. My problem is, I'm usually competitive in ranked, not tryhard, but I still have a desire to win. Getting put into bronze, is sort of uncomfortable, due to the fact that bronze is the lowest tier you can achieve, and it's hard to believe that all that time I've been playing League of Legends...I never truly got better. But, I'll have to suck it up, and try to climb my way out eventually. Thanks again for the advice, and hope you get to platinum soon


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remhouse

Senior Member

08-07-2014

The choice... try to push your lane and roam a bit. I mean... losing your first tower is nothing in comparison to gaining another tower in another lane. If you already took your tower on your lane... you can permise yourself to lose (as the external T1 tower is not that much as the game will advance).

Try grabbing the mid tower as fast as possible. Grabbing drakes at early time is also a good way to push your lead through the ceiling !

I mean... every game can't be a win... but you can make it so you work in a way to put your odds of winnings on the bright side. Every game I play... I always end up with a positive KDA... that means I grab more kills then deaths (and also assists count but I divide them by two for my own purpose).

Try to always grab champions you know that can make the difference in any composition. For my own, I always play Nidalee top when I can... because I find her great and I'm able to make plays (I'm a selfish player... but mechanically great so I like those champs that can grab kills easily by abusing the weakness of others champions to feed myself... then... I peel for my team... teleport onto bot lane to make them snowball harder).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taggot

Junior Member

08-07-2014

Before trying to improve your mechanics and knowledge, having a good attituide is key. I'm currently in gold 3, and I've found out that some games are just extremely hard to win. That being said, you need to accept the fact that you won't win every game. Heck, having a win rate of just over 50% is just dandy. Really, what I'm trying to say is don't let past games make you go on tilt, try not to rage, and take a break if you find yourself raging or losing a lot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thunder Kats

Senior Member

08-07-2014

One of the guys I beat in my placement series went 2-8 in his placement and landed in silver 5 somehow (this guy had less than 5 kills in all of his games and more than 15 deaths in all of his games). I do not think you are a bronzie yet, but you should play the game to have fun and improve no matter the score or the game mode. Oh and no matter the game mode you will play better if you feel good. I always try to eat,visit the GF and shower before I play a ranked game. Even if ranked goes poorly I am still in a pretty good mood. ;p


123