LoL is a casual game, not competitive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

spicy fox1

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvefifty View Post
It is Free to Play, how is that not casual?

So is virtually every korean mmo out there.

(people die playing those games, with scary frequency)

Courier Lord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmicidal View Post
Just because the majority of the playerbase is casual doesn't mean they don't want to watch and be amazed at what the best players can do. The majority of ANY game is casual. Starcraft 2, Counterstrike, Street fighter. All of these games can be played extremely casually, and yet people still have fun watching it. That is what separates a true sport from just another video game.
I am going to be honest, i dont think i have ever seen anything in LOL that made me go, "wow that was ****ing amazing" because the skills dont really allow for crazy **** like that. I have seen strong plays, but nothing amazing.

A big problem is that skillshots, arent, with the exception of Ezreals and Ashes. The combinations of skills chained isnt as impressive as it is in Streetfighter and other "button mashers" because your pretty much limited to 1-2 combination orders. It doesnt have anywhere near the complexity of SC2 which require 200+ APM as well as amazing understanding of the mechanics and good foresight to have an economy that can /just/ cover the cost of your macro. Counterstrike was one of the figurehead twitch FPS games where i would frequently jaw drop at the perfect shooting and team coordination. Doesnt have the strategy of chess. Its closer competitors of HON/DOTA both have times where you are like ".... holy ****... thats why they are the best" where in competitive LOL its kind of like, "yeh i could do that if i tried". Exhibit A

Slaptoast

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arsenal View Post
DotA 2 isn't being made by Blizzard, it's made by Valve, on the Source engine.
OP did not imply that. Blizzard is also making a dota type game as a custom in sc2. It will be called blizzard all stars.

spaceman jane

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutwo View Post
I am not saying that LoL's small competitive community doesn't exist. What I am saying, is that if the casual community and the competitive community were Riot's children, and Riot had to choose which one would live and which one would die, they would pick the casual community every time.

League of Legends was designed to be a casual game. Everything from the game's art direction, graphical design, champ development, game play mechanics, balancing, etc are all targeted toward a casual player.

These aren't opinions, but facts based on the evidence of Riot's actions. The development priority has been on a constant barrage of new champs, new skins, new bundles, new fluff, a merch store, Leaverbuster, upcoming "advanced bots", tribunal system, and attempts at making semi-viral youtube videos.

What things are on the back burners? Replay mode, Observer mode, lan capabilities, tournaments managed by Riot, etc are all core fundamental things a modern competitive online game should have. LoL has been released for fifteen months now and still do not have these basic competitive features. Star Craft and DOTA have had these for years. Heroes of Newerth, Star Craft 2, and Bloodline Champions were all released after LoL and have these features. DotA 2, and Blizzard's version of DotA will have these features at launch.

League of Legends is carving out it's own little niche as a free-to-play DotA-esque MOBA. This isn't a bad thing, as LoL is the only game currently like this. Sure, someday the basic features of a competitive game will finally be released, but even then Riot will still prioritize their casual player base. That is the demographic most likely to by the cosmetic fluff. So lets all just try to practice patience, the competitive player base will eventually get their turn, however briefly, in the sunlight. As it stands it just seems Riot resents us, the competitive community.

In conclusion, stop your *****in'.
Go **** yourself. Or at least that train of thought.

It's only a "casual" game because goons like you have forced it to be. Moba games are competitive by design. It's the playerbase that makes them casual. It's also the "casual" playerbase that has led to a majority of the problems that are so present in this game. Leavers, griefers, trolls - all products of the casual environment. Obviously, they'd still be present in a fully competitive game, but not to the extreme they currently are.

The problem is that LoL itself isn't built for competitive gaming. Nor is it built to favor casuals. They're adding systems and features that are either easy to add and in demand, pay their bills, and help curb the griefing/trolling habits. I'm sure that replays/spectator modes weren't put on the backburner simply because RIOT intends for LoL to be casual, but because they're not necessary to advance the game. The problem is that RIOT has gotten greedy and would rather put out new champs every other week that they then have to balance and rebalance, instead of putting more developer time towards getting replays and spectator modes up and running.

RIOT being lazy doesn't mean the game is catering to casual gamers. It does suck, though.

Also, I'm aware that you're apparently making this viewpoint from the competitive side of the fence.

unZe

02-15-2011

You cannot deny in LoL.
You do not lose gold on death.
These are the two fundamental game mechanics which make this game easy. You do not get penalized nearly as much as you would in HoN or dota for making mistakes and farming is basically not a skill in LoL. This game does not rely on mechanical skill but moreso team synergy. HoN and dota are more competitive because they rely on mechanical skill AND teamwork.

Remmix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

I like the casual atmosphere. I have no problems with that!

Courier Lord

02-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmicidal View Post
Just because the majority of the playerbase is casual doesn't mean they don't want to watch and be amazed at what the best players can do. The majority of ANY game is casual. Starcraft 2, Counterstrike, Street fighter. All of these games can be played extremely casually, and yet people still have fun watching it. That is what separates a true sport from just another video game.
The engine doesnt give the players the opportunity to do amazing things in my opinion. I have never seen anything in LoL where i was like, **** i could never do that or omg thats freaking crazy like you have in the competitive games listed above. Its like checkers to chess. It doesnt matter how big a following checkers will ever get, chess will be the competitive 8x8 game. I would be extremely shocked if LoL ever took over one of the dota clones in the moba competitive scene.

Flaise

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvefifty View Post
It is Free to Play, how is that not casual?
Football is free to play. Even in Europe...

AtW NeoN

08-07-2011

casuals. i hate those guys

Honfagexperiment

11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman jane View Post
It's only a "casual" game because goons like you have forced it to be.

The problem is that LoL itself isn't built for competitive gaming. Nor is it built to favor casuals.
cool bro, contradict yourself in the same post...

LoL isn't competitive material because it took DotA as a base to start from and removed almost everything that took any kind of skill, made the metagame a shallow pond compared to HoN or DotA's massive ocean, removed anything that punished players for playing badly, added a dozen "get out of jail free cards" for when players did play badly, and slowed down the game speed by about 75%

go play HoN or DotA, I guarantee you will curl up in to the fetal position and cry wondering why you're 0/10 at the 5 minute mark and have no clue how any of those deaths happened because they all happened in about half a second, wondering why team fights are decided and over almost before they begin, wondering why you have only boots 25 minutes into the game because you lose gold on death...

I could write a college thesis on the massive amount of gameplay mechanics that were removed from DotA to make it accessible to casuals

honestly though, none of the above mentioned is necessarily bad for the game, Riot is obviously trying to carve out their own little niche in the industry, and they're doing it exceptionally well, that niche is just nowhere near anything resembling an e-sport