LoL is a casual game, not competitive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rapi3r

01-31-2011

More skins and champions make money. Observer mode doesn't make money. Riot needs to pay the bills for the servers.

The more people play because of new champions, the more money, and Riot might think of adding things for the competitive community

CanooK

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arsenal View Post
DotA 2 isn't being made by Blizzard, it's made by Valve, on the Source engine.
correct but he was refering to a game sperate of dota 2 being developed by blizzard using the SC2 engine(hence Blizzard DOTA).

djudjud14

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapi3r View Post
More skins and champions make money. Observer mode doesn't make money. Riot needs to pay the bills for the servers.

The more people play because of new champions, the more money, and Riot might think of adding things for the competitive community
the team that handle skins and champions are not the same team that handle observer mode.

Barbedwire

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapi3r View Post

They have a player base 10-15x more than HoN (according to themselves...) and lots of people are buying new champs and skins etc. - because that's the only ****ing thing Riot wants us to do. And it has been more than a year since this games release...how many more months do we have to wait? How many months till they have "enough money"?

Bullcrap.
Money my ass. They have more than enough to implement these features. They don't want to. Not enough at least.

The Germs

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbedwire View Post
They have a player base 10-15x more than HoN (according to themselves...) and lots of people are buying new champs and skins etc. - because that's the only ****ing thing Riot wants us to do. And it has been more than a year since this games release...how many more months do we have to wait? How many months till they have "enough money"?

Bullcrap.
Money my ass. They have more than enough to implement these features. They don't want to. Not enough at least.
them saying they have a player base larget than hon might be quite true..but yet again it's because you don't have to spend a dime on this game....I would like to see Riot place a $30 fee to play LoL and watch how many people would leave to HoN...I wouldn't like this because I play both games, and my choice at a given time is based on my mood...I play LoL to chill..I play HoN to rage.

themanwithsauce

02-05-2011

Riot places more emphasis on surface content than on any real depth of content - hence why they keep making new heroes with new resource and combat systems (the 3 ninjas, renekton, karma) while leaving the old heroes on the vine for the most part. Sure they get hit with buffs and narfs form time to time but at some point they have to realize that they can't double the number of heroes and expect the old and new to mesh together magically out of the blue.

Hence, they make this game a more casual game. No new maps since launch, no new game modes, no lan support, horrible chat server stability....it makes me wonder why they place such a heavy emphasis on banning players when they really don't hurt the game more than it hurts itself.

blackdakkon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yndyr View Post
All of the best competitive games have always had a large fan base of casual players. The only reason this game doesn't seem competitive is because there is not enough exposure of the competitive scene.

To be a competitive game you have to compete for something real and tangible. IThe problem is not that there is a small competitive community. The problem lies with the fact that so many players are competitive, yet are left with nothing to compete for. No advertising of upcoming tournaments, only mentioned by the company in passing.

Perhaps another problem is that the gaming leagues who do plenty to organize tournaments and ladders don't realize how big of a game League of Legends is, and generally don't include it for many events.

Both of these problems result in a community of competitive players left with nothing to compete for but your rating.

In the end it's the players that decide how competitive a game is, not the company. If the community is not willing to put the effort into organizing tournaments, building websites, it will stagnate. If you want the game to be competitive, you should put your effort into helping the game become more about competition than ranting about who Riot Games caters to. They have made a game with a lot of potential for competition, but they have given it to a community that is too lazy to do what they can to fulfill it.

tl;dr? It's the players that are responsible for competition, not the company.

While I agree with you, I believe that responsibility falls partially on the company because as mentioned before, the lack of features such as replays, observer mode, and lan capabilities severely limit the competitive scene's growth. I've actually never thought about it too much before seeing this thread. I'd kill for a replay mode, because honestly, fraps rapes my laptop.

GarnetJewel

02-09-2011

street fighter 2 is not competative either
it's art direction is cartoony and brightly colored
it has no replays or spectator mode
and the characters have like 3 special moves each

Daganth

02-09-2011

Are we just supposed to agree or disagree with the OP statement?

Obviously everyone should agree.

I don't understand people; Riot is in its start-up phase they are catering to players based on revenue and cashflows. Dota had features like replays because they wearn't focusing on the bottom line (the money). Similarly SC2 has replays because its a sequel to a game that already has/had a large and very successful competitive scene in the past. Game companies especially fledgling ones like Riot are not going to cater to 1% of their player base when they are still worried about the overall success of the game and by extension their own companies' cashflows.

If you really want a competitive LOL scene complete with support from developers and new features then real tournaments need to happen with money involved. Competitive play in games doesn't usually have an issue because something like an oberserver mode wasn't added it usually has much more to do with overall balance which clearly needs some work.

Overall I'm pretty impressed by Riot. They've made a seemingly successful business model, seem to be developing champions quickly and at least trying to address balance with regular patches and changes to the game. Hopefully in the future we see things like replays, observer mode, and official riot tournaments but honestly I don't think people use their brains when they look at why those things aren't present. Its $$$ pure and simple.

C0heed

02-09-2011

+1 for the OP.

LoL is not balanced and will never be balanced. This is why it will never be a serious "competitive" game without major changes. Why?

Look at the original Starcraft. It's widely considered the most balanced multiplayer game ever made. It took Blizzard almost a decade to make it "balanced". And this was with THREE races. With Riot releasing new champions every week and new items every quarter; it's absolutely impossible to attain any kind of balance.

Ranked games will continue to be dominated by "flavor of the month" champions and replaced by new champions once the the former are nerfed.

If you are looking for a truly competitive game, play Starcraft (or SC 2). But LoL is for casual fun, nothing more.