Granrok's Guide to Noobies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

falcoBoat

01-18-2010

Double post but I think the following advice might be useful, if it hasn't been said (eyes blurry...too much taurine...):

Learn how each hero will kill you / aid you
I cannot stress enough how important learning each of the heroes' abilities is. I remember switching from DotA and spending the first few games frantically alt-tabbing after a death to see how I just died. Mouse over an enemy champion's items. Watch what they are up to:

-The big rusty ****ing robot just grabbed your ass with his ****ing fist from a bush??! Looked like it travelled in a line like Pudge's hook....best be avoiding him or standing with something in the way!
-That little girl just burnt my face off! Very quickly! Owww!

Granrok

01-18-2010

Quote:
Agreed. Tragically, for whatever reason, my three attempts to rename it to that have not actually shown visibly on the forum.

Granrok

01-18-2010

falcoBoat - added.

Fishy

01-19-2010

This is bit of a rant, but its not entirely irrelevant.

As a former DOTA player and a relatively new LoL player, I realize I am far from the best. But I am always a team player and I will go out of my way to try to support my team. But when you do that you tend to end up not being able to farm or lane as much as somebody who just stick to their lanes or straight farm creeps. Its frustrating when people start blaming you for being behind in levels and items. I am very map aware. I do not feed. I'm just in between lanes a lot and not for farming. And its doubly frustrating when people don't understand the game dynamics even though they are level 30 or whatever.

As a general rule, DON'T push into the enemy base if all 5 of their heroes are there defending. This is especially true if you've already tried it 3 times unsuccessfully each time resulting in your teammates dying or your whole team getting wiped out. It is so frustrating spending all night losing games cause someone keeps leading the team into the base for a wipe. Even if there are 3 defending it will be tough because they can always fall back to get healed at their spawn. You cannot circle around to gank them. Chasing them into their base will most likely get you killed.

Solo laning: It's not a big deal. Stop worrying about the I called solo BS. Get a couple of levels and go jungle if you must. There is plenty of gold and exp to be had. Screaming at someone to get out of your lane is just idiotic. Its much better to lane with someone rather than have teammates who never respond to calls for help or check the mini-map. If you get suppressed in your lane soloing it means you will have a hard time getting enough gold for items. You might be forced to go heal or even die. So don't worry about laning with a teammate.

Checking the brush. Its a good idea to check the brush. People hide there to prepare for a gank. Even at level 1 this happens a lot. So either check the brush yourself, or at least support your teammate if he is fighting in the brush. I was Poppy laning with a Rammus. I checked the brushes and the Udyr and Sivr exhausted me and tried to gank me. I got away hearthed back to heal. When I came back I figure it would be all too easy to gank a lvl 1 Sivr or Udyr. I went in the bushes, charged the Sivr and the Rammus didn't help. After I died he told me he wouldn't help me because I was fighting there for no reason. He also claimed that there was nothing he could do since he was Rammus. When I told him to just auto attack he told me I was a ******. A Rammus and a Poppy failing to gank a Sivr and a Udyr hiding at the closest edge of our tower. True story.

If there are 2 enemy champions in hiding in the brush, I guarantee you they are not there to play nice. They are there getting ready to gank you and your teammate. So go help out, even if its to auto attack.

Granrok

01-20-2010

Fishy - added your comments and suggestions. thanks!